Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-01-2019, 23:41   #16
august12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesby View Post
Will do juke ! .
Ill Bring the other quotes with me to back up my claim about it not being what i expected.
It will be interesting to see what he says .
I have recently bought a property, had to pay my own solicitor and bank solicitor as property is rated as a 'buy to let'.
My solicitor fees were charged at a higher rate because had to deal with bank solicitor and vendor solicitor, the breakdown as follows:

Prof. Fee 2250 normally 1500
Misc. Fee 50
Vat 529
Searches 150
Folio completion 5
Commis. Fee 40
Total 3024

Bank solicitor fee
Prof. Fee 850
VAT 195.50
Bank charge re transfer 25
PRA fee 700 Land registry fee on deed of transfer
Charge 175 Land registry fee on deed of mortgage
Folio 5
Total 1950.5

Refund of 1500 from bank towards legal fees, so all legal fees came to 3474.50.

Last edited by august12; 19-01-2019 at 23:47. Reason: Added info
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-01-2019, 01:55   #17
Muahahaha

I agree with others that his prices do seem quite high. I am aware that it can be done for about 40% less than you are being asked to pay. As a guide the bottom of the market is €1,200+VAT with some solicitors asking €2,000+VAT for the same job. He is also charging two sets of professional fees, while he is entitled to set out his stall how he wishes and charge a second fee on the first registration many solicitors just give an all in price to settle the entire transaction. I've often seen prices in the €1,500+VAT range that would include the work on a first registration.

Quote:
Bearing in Mind I also had to Pay Another Third party Solicitor an Additional €650 based on my own solicitors advise as he wanted to be certain on an one aspect of the property purchase (Review of Title/Deeds).
This is the bit you might have a problem with. A title review is bread and butter of a conveyance and unless there was something extrordinary about the property I'm wondering why he felt a second opinion was needed? Did he tell you reason? A title review should be included as part of his professional fees, if he didn't feel he was competent enough to do it himself well then I would be asking questions about being charged a further €650 to get it done elsewhere.

Finally as said all solicitors work must be quoted for in advance, it is called a Section 68 letter. If you weren't provided with one then he is in breach of both Law Society professional standards and the law itself. Not providing a section 68 letter doesn't mean you don't have to pay for the work done. However there is case law there where the taxing master reduced the fees of solicitors who didnt quote up front before the work began. If the taxing master forms the view that the solicitor was overcharging on typical market rates then he can order the solicitor to reduce the professional fee charged.
Thanks from:
21-01-2019, 13:19   #18
chesby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muahahaha View Post
I'm wondering why he felt a second opinion was needed? Did he tell you reason?
Going from what he said on the phone , He said something along the lines of "the Property Title/Deeds being Quite/Long , or a lot to go through as it was registered in an older format as it hadn't been registered on the new system since the property had last changed owner", and he would like to just get a second Opinion that everything was correct .

I'm tending to agree with you on this - "if he didn't feel he was competent enough to do it himself well then I would be asking questions about being charged a further €650 to get it done elsewhere."

However at the Time , he put it to me in the Question of , "The decision is up to you ?, but my professional opinion is that I recommend you get it looked at",-So I thought I would be kicking myself if I didn't heed his advice and came to regret it later on.

In terms of heading down the Tax Master Route of Proceedings , its not like
His Fees are 5 Times the going rate , Especially after talking to other Boards Members and a few friends face to face.I suppose my main gripe with the whole process being that if I was quoted his figure up front to begin with , I would not have proceed with him .
21-01-2019, 16:26   #19
Claw Hammer

You can complain to the Law society about over-charging and not getting a section 68 letter.
Thanks from:
21-01-2019, 17:32   #20
Muahahaha

Quote:
Going from what he said on the phone , He said something along the lines of "the Property Title/Deeds being Quite/Long , or a lot to go through as it was registered in an older format as it hadn't been registered on the new system since the property had last changed owner", and he would like to just get a second Opinion that everything was correct .
ah here that sounds like complete rubbish to me. Unregistered title deeds by their very nature are quite long but that is no excuse for him not doing the job you were paying him to do. I mean if he came back to you and said there is a problem with the title because of planning/taxation or a question mark over good and and marketable title and I want to get a second opinion then that would be fair enough, it can happen. But to say he wants you to pay an extra €650 because he didn't want to put two or three hours work in himself to properly investigate the title then he is either incompetent or lazy.

Quote:
However at the Time , he put it to me in the Question of , "The decision is up to you ?, but my professional opinion is that I recommend you get it looked at",-So I thought I would be kicking myself if I didn't heed his advice and came to regret it later on.
Sounds like he scared you into it to be honest and he uses his "professional opinion" to seal the deal. There was nothing professional about him not doing the title investigation himself because the title deeds were too long for his liking and instead lumping you with a further bill of €650

Quote:
In terms of heading down the Tax Master Route of Proceedings , its not like
His Fees are 5 Times the going rate , Especially after talking to other Boards Members and a few friends face to face.I suppose my main gripe with the whole process being that if I was quoted his figure up front to begin with , I would not have proceed with him .
Thats the whole thing really. He is legally obliged to quote you so you then have the opportunity to refuse doing business with him. He didn't do that, he denied you your chance to know what it was going to cost. And on top of that he is now charging you for outsourced work that any competent solicitor would be doing in house themselves, work that only takes a few hours. If I were you Id be having words with him about it and asking for a reduction in fees. Mention the lack of a section 68 letter and that will concentrate his mind. IMO he is walking on very thin ice on what you said has gone on here.
Advertisement
13-02-2020, 17:22   #21
DaveyDave

Just thought I'd join in with my query here, our solicitor is saying the title paperwork is much longer than expected and that the contract issued was an old one from the first phase of the estate two years ago. Our professional fee (ex. VAT) has gone from €1,400 to €2,500.

When we asked for more detail about the cost they said the title is going to take 3-4 hours more than expected and referred us to the terms of engagement which just states the cost will go up depending on the complexity of the work which is fair enough.

They're vague in their emails and don't sound like they want us asking many questions. They also keep quoting stamp duty as an old house and added on two fees for new builds we didn't know about so their original and updated quote are both incorrect.

My sister used the same solicitor and had some issues with the land of the house she bought and her fee only went up a fraction of ours despite a bit of back and forth. I'm not sure what to feel about it.

Can anyone shed some light on this sort of situation? Something just feels off with them.
13-02-2020, 19:03   #22
Dolbhad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyDave View Post
Just thought I'd join in with my query here, our solicitor is saying the title paperwork is much longer than expected and that the contract issued was an old one from the first phase of the estate two years ago. Our professional fee (ex. VAT) has gone from €1,400 to €2,500.

When we asked for more detail about the cost they said the title is going to take 3-4 hours more than expected and referred us to the terms of engagement which just states the cost will go up depending on the complexity of the work which is fair enough.

They're vague in their emails and don't sound like they want us asking many questions. They also keep quoting stamp duty as an old house and added on two fees for new builds we didn't know about so their original and updated quote are both incorrect.

My sister used the same solicitor and had some issues with the land of the house she bought and her fee only went up a fraction of ours despite a bit of back and forth. I'm not sure what to feel about it.

Can anyone shed some light on this sort of situation? Something just feels off with them.
I suppose the issue depends on what your build. Is it a new build but your buying a second or later phase?
13-02-2020, 20:13   #23
DaveyDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolbhad View Post
I suppose the issue depends on what your build. Is it a new build but your buying a second or later phase?
It's a new build, house is built and ready to go.
13-02-2020, 20:16   #24
lawrencesummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by caviardreams View Post
I thought by law solicitors had to quote fees up front for conveyancing?

Don’t you know that the legal Profession is above the law? Come on lad get with it.
Advertisement
13-02-2020, 21:06   #25
Dolbhad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyDave View Post
It's a new build, house is built and ready to go.

Maybe someone has happened - have they had to look at extra wayleaves etc. But you would think all the issues would be ironed out by phase 2 and it is a big jump. Ask what exactly is the issue their reviewing and can they provide you copies of the documents their reviewing.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion