Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
01-01-2020, 21:07   #16
KilOit
Registered User
 
KilOit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by van_beano View Post
Simple things like attic insulation and boiler controls could get you into a B3. A lot of energy companies are giving free boiler controls (Hive, Near etc) these days if you take out a contract with them.
Meant to say I got a nest as well. Might go ahead with a ber survey then
KilOit is offline  
Advertisement
01-01-2020, 21:44   #17
pwurple
Registered User
 
pwurple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,109
I am wary to fix whenever I see a fixed rate below the current Ltv rate. That’s a good indicator of an inverted yield curve for the bank. Normally fixed are a higher rate. It usually means that the bank believes rates will be lower in the future than they are now.

They could intend to drop the ltv rates in that five year period to below that fixed rate.

Last edited by pwurple; 01-01-2020 at 21:48.
pwurple is offline  
01-01-2020, 21:55   #18
KilOit
Registered User
 
KilOit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwurple View Post
I am wary to fix whenever I see a fixed rate below the current Ltv rate. That’s a good indicator of an inverted yield curve for the bank. Normally fixed are a higher rate. It usually means that the bank believes rates will be lower in the future than they are now.

They could intend to drop the ltv rates in that five year period to below that fixed rate.
It's a pure gamble. banks are saying it won't go lower so i would be of the opinion they will go lower.
KilOit is offline  
01-01-2020, 21:59   #19
van_beano
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwurple View Post
I am wary to fix whenever I see a fixed rate below the current Ltv rate. That’s a good indicator of an inverted yield curve for the bank. Normally fixed are a higher rate. It usually means that the bank believes rates will be lower in the future than they are now.

They could intend to drop the ltv rates in that five year period to below that fixed rate.
I totally agree with you, I’ve was thinking the same since I switched to the LTV rate around 2 years ago, there hasn’t been much movement since though.

Don’t think anyone can say for definite when rates will fall. Might as well live for the here and now, which means I’m €51 better off per month. If rates fall then there’s no issue requesting a breakage fee quote from the bank.
van_beano is offline  
01-01-2020, 22:00   #20
listermint
Registered User
 
listermint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 23,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by KilOit View Post
Meant to say I got a nest as well. Might go ahead with a ber survey then
Don't get a new ber based of you getting a nest unless you like pissing money away.

You need to insulate the attic amongst other simple things. A nest isn't going to move the dial significantly . Excuse the pun
listermint is offline  
Advertisement
01-01-2020, 22:13   #21
KilOit
Registered User
 
KilOit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by listermint View Post
Don't get a new ber based of you getting a nest unless you like pissing money away.

You need to insulate the attic amongst other simple things. A nest isn't going to move the dial significantly . Excuse the pun
Attic is very well insulated, boiler and hot tank are A rated, not much else to do other than insulate walls or get triple glaze windows. So i'm hoping the new carpet with underlay throughout house, Nest and energy saving bulbs could shave off 15 kWh/m2/yr to bring it to B3
KilOit is offline  
01-01-2020, 22:21   #22
listermint
Registered User
 
listermint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 23,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by KilOit View Post
Attic is very well insulated, boiler and hot tank are A rated, not much else to do other than insulate walls or get triple glaze windows. So i'm hoping the new carpet with underlay throughout house, Nest and energy saving bulbs could shave off 15 kWh/m2/yr to bring it to B3
It's not what you do so much as what you can prove. Ber system is a load of checklist ballax.
listermint is offline  
18-01-2020, 08:16   #23
baldbear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwurple View Post
Ulster bank is 60% loan to value ratio, or higher only. What's your LTV OP?
You come off it onto an eye-watering rate of 3.5% as well.

AIB's standard variable at the end is lower.
Just under 80% . Was planning to switch again in 2 years or maybe go on a good fixed rate with UB if possible. Ill make sure I won't go onto that 3.5% rate.
baldbear is offline  
18-01-2020, 08:26   #24
Darc19
Registered User
 
Darc19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 699
Ulster are now offering a 5 year fixed of 2.2%


Regarding the rate you go to after fixed period, the DEFAULT rate is standard variable.

But you are provided with options including whatever fixed rates are available then.

Only if you don't choose an option do you go to the SVR.

Ulster Bank (and aib) say that every rate is available to both New and current customers.

I'd avoid Ptsb - they charge current customers a large premium over new customers
Darc19 is offline  
Advertisement
14-02-2020, 10:31   #25
Thomas16
Registered User
 
Thomas16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 116
Hi,

I'm with KBC on variable rate. I'm planning to move fixed rate. But, KBC needs valuation cert each time when we switch from variable to fixed. That's frustrating and we have to pay 130 euro each time.

But, other banks (aib) permit to change variable to fixed at any stage without any valuation. I think, AIB is more flexible and low rates.. Also, Ulster bank..
Dont know which bank is better among them?
Thomas16 is offline  
24-02-2020, 08:25   #26
van_beano
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,254
Green Mortgage to be reduced by .5% to 2.45%.

Other three and five year fixed rates reducing by .3% to 2.55% each

Not much difference between normal fixed and Green fixed other than the cost it takes to get an older house to a decent BER

https://www.herald.ie/news/aib-enter...-38983714.html
van_beano is offline  
24-02-2020, 08:41   #27
carq
Registered User
 
carq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 423
Since getting a mortgage last year with AIB i started on 3.15 % + 3.35% for a fix / variable.
Then the rates dropped to 2.85 last year and i fixed for 3 years.
Can i switch again to the 2.55 rate for the fixed rate without breakage ?
carq is offline  
24-02-2020, 09:38   #28
bricky06
Registered User
 
bricky06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 291
I am in the same boat carq, took out a 3 year fixed at 3.15% and was then put on to 2.85%.

Will existing customers get this rate cut to 2.55 now as well?
bricky06 is offline  
24-02-2020, 11:36   #29
van_beano
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricky06 View Post
I am in the same boat carq, took out a 3 year fixed at 3.15% and was then put on to 2.85%.

Will existing customers get this rate cut to 2.55 now as well?
Were you on the 3.15% fixed originally and then automatically moved to 2.85% fixed? I didn’t think it was possible to move from a fix rate unless you request it and pay a breakage fee.
van_beano is offline  
24-02-2020, 12:04   #30
carq
Registered User
 
carq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by van_beano View Post
Were you on the 3.15% fixed originally and then automatically moved to 2.85% fixed? I didn’t think it was possible to move from a fix rate unless you request it and pay a breakage fee.
i requested it and dint have to pay breakage.
i think this was due to the proximity of the mortgage starting and rates being cut.
carq is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet