Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-01-2020, 21:07   #16
KilOit

Quote:
Originally Posted by van_beano View Post
Simple things like attic insulation and boiler controls could get you into a B3. A lot of energy companies are giving free boiler controls (Hive, Near etc) these days if you take out a contract with them.
Meant to say I got a nest as well. Might go ahead with a ber survey then
Advertisement
01-01-2020, 21:44   #17
pwurple

I am wary to fix whenever I see a fixed rate below the current Ltv rate. That’s a good indicator of an inverted yield curve for the bank. Normally fixed are a higher rate. It usually means that the bank believes rates will be lower in the future than they are now.

They could intend to drop the ltv rates in that five year period to below that fixed rate.

Last edited by pwurple; 01-01-2020 at 21:48.
01-01-2020, 21:55   #18
KilOit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwurple View Post
I am wary to fix whenever I see a fixed rate below the current Ltv rate. That’s a good indicator of an inverted yield curve for the bank. Normally fixed are a higher rate. It usually means that the bank believes rates will be lower in the future than they are now.

They could intend to drop the ltv rates in that five year period to below that fixed rate.
It's a pure gamble. banks are saying it won't go lower so i would be of the opinion they will go lower.
01-01-2020, 21:59   #19
van_beano

Quote:

I totally agree with you, I’ve was thinking the same since I switched to the LTV rate around 2 years ago, there hasn’t been much movement since though.

Don’t think anyone can say for definite when rates will fall. Might as well live for the here and now, which means I’m €51 better off per month. If rates fall then there’s no issue requesting a breakage fee quote from the bank.
01-01-2020, 22:00   #20
listermint

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilOit View Post
Meant to say I got a nest as well. Might go ahead with a ber survey then
Don't get a new ber based of you getting a nest unless you like pissing money away.

You need to insulate the attic amongst other simple things. A nest isn't going to move the dial significantly . Excuse the pun
Advertisement
01-01-2020, 22:13   #21
KilOit

Quote:
Originally Posted by listermint View Post
Don't get a new ber based of you getting a nest unless you like pissing money away.

You need to insulate the attic amongst other simple things. A nest isn't going to move the dial significantly . Excuse the pun
Attic is very well insulated, boiler and hot tank are A rated, not much else to do other than insulate walls or get triple glaze windows. So i'm hoping the new carpet with underlay throughout house, Nest and energy saving bulbs could shave off 15 kWh/m2/yr to bring it to B3
01-01-2020, 22:21   #22
listermint

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilOit View Post
Attic is very well insulated, boiler and hot tank are A rated, not much else to do other than insulate walls or get triple glaze windows. So i'm hoping the new carpet with underlay throughout house, Nest and energy saving bulbs could shave off 15 kWh/m2/yr to bring it to B3
It's not what you do so much as what you can prove. Ber system is a load of checklist ballax.
18-01-2020, 08:16   #23
baldbear

Quote:
Ulster bank is 60% loan to value ratio, or higher only. What's your LTV OP?
You come off it onto an eye-watering rate of 3.5% as well.

AIB's standard variable at the end is lower.
Just under 80% . Was planning to switch again in 2 years or maybe go on a good fixed rate with UB if possible. Ill make sure I won't go onto that 3.5% rate.
18-01-2020, 08:26   #24
Darc19

Ulster are now offering a 5 year fixed of 2.2%

Regarding the rate you go to after fixed period, the DEFAULT rate is standard variable.

But you are provided with options including whatever fixed rates are available then.

Only if you don't choose an option do you go to the SVR.

Ulster Bank (and aib) say that every rate is available to both New and current customers.

I'd avoid Ptsb - they charge current customers a large premium over new customers
Advertisement
14-02-2020, 10:31   #25
Thomas16

Hi,

I'm with KBC on variable rate. I'm planning to move fixed rate. But, KBC needs valuation cert each time when we switch from variable to fixed. That's frustrating and we have to pay 130 euro each time.

But, other banks (aib) permit to change variable to fixed at any stage without any valuation. I think, AIB is more flexible and low rates.. Also, Ulster bank..
Dont know which bank is better among them?
24-02-2020, 08:25   #26
van_beano

Green Mortgage to be reduced by .5% to 2.45%.

Other three and five year fixed rates reducing by .3% to 2.55% each

Not much difference between normal fixed and Green fixed other than the cost it takes to get an older house to a decent BER

https://www.herald.ie/news/aib-enter...-38983714.html
24-02-2020, 08:41   #27
carq

Since getting a mortgage last year with AIB i started on 3.15 % + 3.35% for a fix / variable.
Then the rates dropped to 2.85 last year and i fixed for 3 years.
Can i switch again to the 2.55 rate for the fixed rate without breakage ?
24-02-2020, 09:38   #28
bricky06

I am in the same boat carq, took out a 3 year fixed at 3.15% and was then put on to 2.85%.

Will existing customers get this rate cut to 2.55 now as well?
24-02-2020, 11:36   #29
van_beano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricky06 View Post
I am in the same boat carq, took out a 3 year fixed at 3.15% and was then put on to 2.85%.

Will existing customers get this rate cut to 2.55 now as well?
Were you on the 3.15% fixed originally and then automatically moved to 2.85% fixed? I didn’t think it was possible to move from a fix rate unless you request it and pay a breakage fee.
24-02-2020, 12:04   #30
carq

Quote:
Originally Posted by van_beano View Post
Were you on the 3.15% fixed originally and then automatically moved to 2.85% fixed? I didn’t think it was possible to move from a fix rate unless you request it and pay a breakage fee.
i requested it and dint have to pay breakage.
i think this was due to the proximity of the mortgage starting and rates being cut.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion