Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-02-2020, 09:15   #1
gerardmillrace

Fence fallen on rented property

Hi Folks,
Garden fence fell during recent storm basically leaving back garden open for anyone to walk in. I have reported to landlord as it's explicit in lease that he is responsible for all repairs including fencing. He is very slow to respond on this and I wonder is there any sort of guideline for time that he should remedy this in as it exposes his property to risk and our home is not secure.
Advertisement
13-02-2020, 11:35   #2
Diceicle

Might it help to be pro-active about resolving it? Get in 3 quotes. Email them to the landlord. Take the admin strain out of it a little may help you both.
I wouldn't be entertaining anything where he suggests you pay and its sorted out later though.
13-02-2020, 12:53   #3
The Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardmillrace View Post
Hi Folks,
Garden fence fell during recent storm basically leaving back garden open for anyone to walk in. I have reported to landlord as it's explicit in lease that he is responsible for all repairs including fencing. He is very slow to respond on this and I wonder is there any sort of guideline for time that he should remedy this in as it exposes his property to risk and our home is not secure.
Could you not temporarily repair it at the same time as being in contact with the landlord?
13-02-2020, 13:34   #4
MacDanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Student View Post
Could you not temporarily repair it at the same time as being in contact with the landlord?
Not a good idea imo - the LL may claim that your temporary fix has in some way damaged the fence.

How long has it been like this? Just a few days? Or more than a week?
Thanks from:
13-02-2020, 15:20   #5
Gumbo

Is it damaged beyond repair?
Is it the timber panels that go between the concrete posts?

They are only 30e so the LL shouldn't be delaying it. Same happened to my rented property last year and it cost 800e to fix as it pulled the concrete posts down with them!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-02-2020, 18:45   #6
The_Conductor

There isn't a timeframe on repairs- the legislation uses ambiguous terms which can be interpreted in different ways. Aka- something which materially affects the tenancy- such as lack of heating, cooking facilities, washing, running water etc- would be urgent- whereas the exterior boundary of the property would be considered to be a lot less urgent an issue.

Legally it is the responsibility of the landlord to maintain the exterior and grounds of the property- and if they fail to do so, local authorities have the right to take action up to and including fines, against a landlord, for failure to do so.
Thanks from:
16-02-2020, 20:33   #7
gerardmillrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Student View Post
No gate and fence totally snapped off rotten at base
16-02-2020, 20:34   #8
gerardmillrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kceire View Post
Is it damaged beyond repair?
Is it the timber panels that go between the concrete posts?

They are only 30e so the LL shouldn't be delaying it. Same happened to my rented property last year and it cost 800e to fix as it pulled the concrete posts down with them!
Yes completely rotten posts years of neglect
16-02-2020, 20:35   #9
gerardmillrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDanger View Post
Not a good idea imo - the LL may claim that your temporary fix has in some way damaged the fence.

How long has it been like this? Just a few days? Or more than a week?
Into wk2

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion