Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Book readers" - Season 8 Episode 6 "The Iron Throne" - Spoilers post 2 forward

• 18-05-2019 5:42pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Note anything after this post may contain spoilers for the episode; do not read or open this thread until you have watched the whole episode!!!

This is ONLY about the specific episode! No information from any other source but listed below are allowed to be posted but book related information is allowed as well as the lore from the DVDs. Anything relating to interviews or articles directly related to this episode can be posted with a spoiler tag.

The "Next Episode" and any speculation on what may come in the future episodes should be put in the appropriate stickied Season 8 speculation thread; any funny pictures from the episode should be posted in this thread until Wednesday rather than the funny picture thread.

Note - No spoilers required for the current episode in this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

The end has come the one thing I have enjoyed most about this show is the haunting score greatest music on a TV show ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

So...this is the ending of the books too? What the fcuk? Like, the whole "A Song of Ice and Fire" we knew that was coming but the rest of it? Wow, I just want to read Winds of Winter and not a Dream of Spring now...that was bad. Like, Dexter finale level bad and I never thought I'd say that about any show again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Barna77

So this was the grand finale?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jim-jam

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    So...this is the ending of the books too? What the fcuk? Like, the whole "A Song of Ice and Fire" we knew that was coming but the rest of it? Wow, I just want to read Winds of Winter and not a Dream of Spring now...that was bad. Like, Dexter finale level bad and I never thought I'd say that about any show again.

Part of me thinks George is going to change the ending after he sees the reaction from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

jim-jam wrote: »
    Part of me thinks George is going to change the ending after he sees the reaction from this.
    I sure hope so, that was just...bad. Like, people complained about the last episode. I didn't, mainly as I can understand it and there was things there. But there is no defending this. It was horrid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

The ending of the books will be the Battle against the Nights King.

They made the Three Eyed Raven King, not Bran, Brandon Stark is dead.

Also Sam abandoned Gilly and his two children to become a maester!

Just a couple of things that bugged me

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jim-jam

Sonovagun wrote: »

Also Sam abandoned Gilly and his two children to become a maester!

Jesus. Didn't think of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I thought the tone was good. The visuals near the start, with the falling ash (and snow?), were great. Everything was wrapped up. Surprised at Bran being made king, but he's a good choice.

I'm glad Jaime's pages got filled in. I was thinking about it last week but I thought the book was ashes. Brienne should have mentioned him charging the dragon; that was his finest moment (and it's how he should have died.)

GRRM has plenty of scope to put a different ending on the books, so I'd be surprised if his ending was the same. I do think Dany never deserved to be Queen, though, because of her propensity for killing people in horrible ways, so I still see her failing in some way and getting killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Cersei paid off the iron bank with the Highgarden wealth, Sam is a bloody novice he hasn't even forged his chain yet now he's Grand Maestar.

Poor Tyrion those opening scenes poor poor Tyrion. :(

Ser Pod the chair pusher.

How in the duck was the city including the port back up and running after a few weeks, these guys and their team of writers are gonna **** up Star Wars worse than Jar Jar

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

The line about Tyrion not being mentioned in the Histories after Roberts rebellion sum up what the show became, nonsensical throwaway lines for a cheap laugh.

Tyrion's capture by Catelyn sparked the war of the 5 kings. He served as hand for 3 monarchs, and master of coin for a time. Was on trial for killing one king, defeated another at The Blackwater & killed the head of house lannister. Was married to the Queen in the North.

None of that worth a mention?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

I saw a wolf, so I am happy considering the expectations I had...

I thought the 7 kingdoms would be broken up completely, I was nearly right :D

Not sure how the books can end in this way though. I believe the Jon and Dany stuff will be pretty accurate, along with Cersei and Jaime's ending. Tyrion will be hand, but I really am not sure GRRM will have Bran as king of the 6 kingdoms. Sansa was always going to rule the North and I believe the books will lead her to it. The ending for Ayra was very hollow.

It ended how the books began though, a man in black heading into the woods, that wasn't a concidence and I reckon that is actually how the books will end too.

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Adventures of Arya Stark spin-off show incoming...

So Bran, the one character with nothing at all to do with the game of thrones, wins the game of thrones. I find the manner in how this came to be very implausible, but that's been a common theme in this new rushed GOT where plot takes a back seat for production.

And everyone just agrees to an independent north, even the Iron Islands, who were promised independence by Dany, and Dorne, who have always wanted independence. Amazing really, Tyrion Lannister could fix brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

I'm not sure how similar the books will be. Some deaths almost certainly won't play out the same way (e.g. Tommen given his age) and for major events the White Walkers are a beautiful Fae race in books. I'd imagine there is some twist or complexity to them that hasn't been shown in the show. D&D said they never got the complete details on them from Martin.

Then there's the Horn of Winter, the different position Stannis is in, Euron has the dragonbinder and loads of other details. Hard to know

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

awec wrote: »
    The Adventures of Arya Stark spin-off show incoming...
    That or the Unsullied's quest for revenge; the new queen of the north or hey we can make a spin off about John and the Wildlings with some hot giant action on the side for our favorite read headed wildling... As far as I recall they had 4 to 6 potential spin offs so they all felt a bit forced to set them up basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭Daith

I liked watching the episode. Then I started to think about it more

Why didn't Grey Worm just kill Jon Snow? Why make him a prisoner?

Why is Grey Worm letting Tyrion, his other prisoner, decide who should be King?

Why is everybody agreeing for Jon to go to the Wall, in order to satisfy an army who is leaving?

Things I liked or found amusing:

Did Podrick become Hodor 2.0?

Jon reuniting with Ghost and Drogon bringing Dany back East.

The first 20 minutes had a great tone, Dany the victor, the conquering army, the ash everywhere. It was great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Daith wrote: »
    The first 20 minutes had a great tone, Dany the victor, the conquering army, the ash everywhere. It was great.
    I liked it EXCEPT for the fact Dany had to be wearing all black Leather like an evil Lord or seeing it's D&D Darth Vader. Why black? Why not white or grey as she had before but no, it has to be tight fitted black leather to show how evil incarnate she is.

Second part; did anyone notice how Ghost changed drastically in size from when he was cuddled (size of a small horse) to when he was running out (medium dog size)?

Nody wrote: »
    I liked it EXCEPT for the fact Dany had to be wearing all black Leather like an evil Lord or seeing it's D&D Darth Vader. Why black? Why not white or grey as she had before but no, it has to be tight fitted black leather to show how evil incarnate she is.

Haha, yes it's not subtle. The image of her with Drogon's wings behind her too. Plus the Unsullied (who seem to multiple like rabbits) looking very er, Nazi like.

I still liked it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Second part; did anyone notice how Ghost changed drastically in size from when he was cuddled (size of a small horse) to when he was running out (medium dog size)?

This was pretty funny :)

Yes but I'm glad Jon got to pet him. I thought they were going to go with another nod.

• Advertisement

• Daith wrote: »
    Yes but I'm glad Jon got to pet him. I thought they were going to go with another nod.

The Pet That Was Promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Barna77

I thought Grey Worm would cut Tyrion's "worm". Which would have been a fair punishment :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I find it difficult to believe the Unsullied and Dotraki played ball even if it was in their own interest.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Fourier wrote: »
    I'm not sure how similar the books will be. Some deaths almost certainly won't play out the same way (e.g. Tommen given his age) and for major events the White Walkers are a beautiful Fae race in books. I'd imagine there is some twist or complexity to them that hasn't been shown in the show. D&D said they never got the complete details on them from Martin.

Then there's the Horn of Winter, the different position Stannis is in, Euron has the dragonbinder and loads of other details. Hard to know

I really like your optimism that the books will actually be published Four :( Sadly I think this is the ending we're getting and Martin is off to work on Arya the Explorer featuring Swiper the Fox.

I think Bran as King will be the ending in the book, but it will be properly explained in the book, with events in the build up to it to make it plausible.

The way it happened in the show doesn't make sense. Just don't feel there was anywhere near enough plot development for it to happen. Tyrion's explanation for picking him was thin at best. Bran accepting it, when he previously said he could never be lord or anything, needed more explanation.

For all the various Lords to select a King on a whim doesn't seem right. They went from deciding what to do with Tyrion, to deciding to electing a King, to electing a King in the space of about 10 minutes.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭fitz

Kinda feel like it would have worked better if Jon had siezed power after killing Dany, with the scene in the dragon pit being where he reveals to everyone that instead of pressing his legitimate claim, he's abdicating and heading north, and they need to sort everything out for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

Bran is a tree now, he's not sitting in any throne.

Daith wrote: »
    Drogon bringing Dany back East.

I liked that. Westeros was never her home.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

fitz wrote: »
    Kinda feel like it would have worked better if Jon had siezed power after killing Dany, with the scene in the dragon pit being where he reveals to everyone that instead of pressing his legitimate claim, he's abdicating and heading north, and they need to sort everything out for themselves.

They could have still had that ending in the North if Jon had just flown off on Drogon. Keeping him in Kings Landing as a prisoner where Greyworm had been slitting throats of prisoners not ten minutes prior just seemed ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Have to say I enjoyed Arya putting Yara in her box.

Advertisement