Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 6 "The Iron Throne" - Spoilers post 2 forw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Horrendous. Absolutely horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Seeing Ghost was the highlight of that and I'm not even exaggerating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

The writers of the show obviously done the standard when we were in school for the leaving put a tonne of thought into the start and middle and then just as they were about to start the plot for the end realised they had 5 mins left till the exam ended.

What a pile of absolute steaming ****e that was. The writers should be ashamed of themselves and so should HBO. They would have been better off ending it after the battle with the white walkers.

The amount of laziness in this season was shocking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Steaming dung

Absolute pure crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

That's a wrap

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Ferajacka

At least Jon played with the dog.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Just disappointing really. I can already hear the sound of millions of indignant obsessives getting ready to type...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I post on boards a handful of times a year at this stage.

Gonna use one of my 5 for 2019 to say that was worse than Lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

PTH2009 wrote: »
    That's a wrap

The last two minutes were fitting, but the committee meeting, the low key death of Dany, everything that went before; all were ludicrous and now it's over, I just want to move on.

• Advertisement

I actually do like Bran on the throne in the end, but I feel like this season was so rushed that it didn't bring us there in a way that felt authentic. My problem with this season hasn't been what's happened so much as not having had the space for these plot points to develop organically. It feels like a lot was skipped over so that by the end of it we're going, "Okay...???"

I think this is how I feel. It all had to come to a conclusion at some point and I liked Brans, Sansa & Johns ending. Arya, meh-ish and Tyrion’s end, I think tried to hard with getting as much humour in as possible.

That’s it folks. Literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭RickBlaine

Drogon flies Dany to Essos. Is revived by a red witch. Surprise season 9 :pac:

I like Dany even more now. Her brutal world would've been better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

I post on boards a handful of times a year at this stage.

Gonna use one of my 5 for 2019 to say that was worse than Lost.

Thought of Lost the second the credits rolled. Feels the very same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

Genuinely I have no idea how the writers can be satisfied by the job they have done to close it out. They have destroyed their own legacy and destroyed what was an incredible show.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Few more episodes could have fleshed things out a bit more.
    Overall not a bad ending and does wrap things up.
    Just feels like wasted potential. Rushed ending. I know endings are hard and we've yet to see what GRRM does with his, maybe his will be written even worse? It's a world where a finite ending isn't really possible after all. That said, it could still have been played and executed better imo.

Still, not bad. I'll take that. Tens years. Some moments good, some bad, but mostly all of it was good and memorable. Gonna be a while before I find another show that has the same impact.

So long thrones.

I actually really liked the first 40 minutes. Very ominous with Dany but as soon she went in for the kiss it all went downhill.

I liked Sansa’s crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Liamalone

So nothing mentioned after Dany's death about Jon being the rightful heir etc. M'kay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Drogon knew Bran was gonna be king, he melted the chair to make a wheel chair accessible ramp :pac:

But yeah, that was pretty **** as expected, it was going good up until the melting of the chair, everything after that was pretty dumb.

An Arya spin off series into the unknown wouldnt surprise me, they can literally do anything they want with that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭pah

A hugely underwhelming finale and season in general. Just a lot of disappointment for what could have been. I think the seeds were sown a bit last year with the drop of in quality of writing, this season has been bad IMHO.

There is NO way greyworm would have kept Jon alive once he found out what happened. All the unsullied and dothraki cheering for their queen and her conquest/future conquets, few mins later they're walking down the docks and setting sail for a new life????. FML the more I'm typing the madder I'm getting. Need to sleep on this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I was pretty annoyed but im mellowing to that, wont defend it tho, from the moment dany died I was in awe of the how **** it was, but its getting easier as the seconds go by,

Sansa - Yes
    Tyrion - Yes
    Jon - eh, why is CB still a thing?
    Ayra - Meh
    Brann - im good with that

It really could have been so much more - but Im grateful for the show as a whole. It was the best television ever created in my eyes.

Its the end of an era - it was just rushed, but, thanks for everything GOT - You rock!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Me_Grapes

It should have ended with Drogon carrying Danys’ dead body into the sunset with Jon looking on.

There was absolutely no need for us to know anything that happened after that.

About as bad as could have been expected.

While I had no hopes for this in general, even though I liked the last episode as a spectacle.

If they had finished with Tryion saying to John ask me again in 10 years followed by the end and a silence, like the red wedding I thought that would have been cool.

They obviously spent too much time filming other possible endings of the show (given the triage ending) to try keep it a secret, to but a **** about the series as a whole.

Overall not Dexter but ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I ended up seeing the leaks that were circulating for weeks just before episode 4 (the main reason I haven’t been posting here since), and I realised very quickly into episode 5 that they were 100% genuine, so I knew all of that was coming unfortunately, as did many others. I think I was able to enjoy it a bit more as a result of that, because I remember reading it at the time in absolute disgust that it was going to end like this. Having had time to come to terms with it, all I had to look forward to was the execution of this whole episode, and it was a little better than I expected. That’s pretty much the only positive thing I’ll say about it.

Given that Benioff and Weiss had that ending in their locker for years and it was the ending that was coming all along from the mind of GRRM, if they had gotten there in a more natural, earned way, I think most would’ve accepted it. But no, the writers rushed the absolute shîte out of it and I expect this episode and the season as a whole will be ripped to shreds tomorrow as a result.

But at least Ghost got the cuddles he deserved at last. That makes me not so pissed off. :)

I googled favourite to win the game of thrones out of interest earlier, I didn’t think it would be that much of a spoiler but it doesn’t take a genius to work out the ending looking at the results.

Bookies on bicycles etc etc

I avoided the thread in the gambling forum for just such reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Underwhelming doesn't cover it. Pathetic comes close.
    A show I've enjoyed for a decade completely destroyed by the people who gave birth do it. That just can't be explained.

I understand their motive was to not give the fans what they wanted. I also understand that short of having that comet come back and just wipe everyone out there were a million more creative ways it could have been done.

The whole season 7 and 8 episode reduction was madness. It planted the seeds of doubt for me.
    This is the TV show with the biggest budget in living memory; there was no reason we couldn't have had two full seasons with no excuses about feature length run time.

Cinematically, the last season was brilliant. I enjoyed it to a level, and if it had been any other show would say it was fantastic. But this was GoT. It was and should rightly have been held to a higher standard.

I think I understand why what happened happened and the logic behind the story of it all. But they should have finished the job properly, instead they rushed and subsequently butchered it.

Rightly or wrongly, that petition will have 5 or maybe 10 million signatures by this time tomorrow.

This has probably put me off ever doing a rewatch of the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Bran of the Broken Seasons.

/sigh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭RickBlaine

A few thoughts:

- I liked that Tyrion had a major role to play. Probably the most meaningful stuff he has had since the end of season 4. As usual, Dinklage is fantastic. Tyrion ended up in the role that best suited his skill set - I like that.

- I don't understand how Jon could possibly be conflicted about Dany. He witnessed her massacre an entire city ffs.

- I thought Dany's death was too rushed and cliched. Surprise stab by her lover in an embrace. We've seen that before. I wish her downfall was a little more complex than a sudden stab.

- I don't really mind the scenes after Dany's death, although Greyworm suddenly becoming the de facto leader of King's Landing was very rushed and a bit jarring, even if he was made head of Dany's armies.

- I also don't really mind Bran becoming ruler. But I think it would have been a bit more palatable if some of the lords required more persuading. Also, it would have been better if Bran was still Bran and not ThreeEyedRavan.exe upgraded with a King mod.

- Maybe I'm a romantic, but I would have liked to have seen Gendry joining Arya on the deck of her ship.

- The episode had some great shots, notably Dany with Drogon's wings behind her, and a sleeping Drogon awakening underneath the ash.

- Overall, not the ideal finale to the whole show but probably the best way season 8 could have ended given the 5 episodes that proceeded it.

Advertisement