Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

29x2.10 Tube recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

jeffk wrote: »
    After about a year I finally got a puncture and the value on the tubes I got in lidl or aldi are too thick

Any recommendations on what tubes to get? Looking at one in halfords for around E7 with some of that gel that helps when you get a puncture

When you say the tubes you bought were 'too thick', I'm guessing that your wheels are currently set up to fit Presta valves. Just to be sure; which do you have, and which did you buy that doesn't fit?

Presta-vs-Schrader1.jpg
    Source

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Lemming wrote: »
    When you say the tubes you bought were 'too thick', I'm guessing that your wheels are currently set up to fit Presta valves. Just to be sure; which do you have, and which did you buy that doesn't fit?

Presta-vs-Schrader1.jpg
    Source

Sorry I meant valves not value, stupid auto correct

I had Schrader on the bike I had at the time and got tubes with them or American valves according to Lidl packaging

I changed bike and now have Presta valves

Never really thought about them not fitting my wheel, I assumed just the top be different.

SO, looking now for one for wheel and one for pouch on bike, not sure on size or anti puncture etc

Sorry I meant valves not value, stupid auto correct

I had Schrader on the bike I had at the time and got tubes with them or American valves according to Lidl packaging

I changed bike and now have Presta valves

Never really thought about them not fitting my wheel, I assumed just the top be different.

SO, looking now for one for wheel and one for pouch on bike, not sure on size or anti puncture etc

I'd stick with the presta valves if the new bike is set up for presta valves. Unless you fancy drilling your rims ...

So to answer your questions, just make sure your rims are 29" and not 27.5" (the lapierre link you posted above is a bit confusing). As for "anti puncture" what do you mean? Sealant? You'll either a) need to get tubes that have removable presta cores or b) consider going tubeless, but that requires some homework and extra bits quite probably.

I'd stick with the presta valves if the new bike is set up for presta valves. Unless you fancy drilling your rims ...

So to answer your questions, just make sure your rims are 29" and not 27.5" (the lapierre link you posted above is a bit confusing). As for "anti puncture" what do you mean? Sealant? You'll either a) need to get tubes that have removable presta cores or b) consider going tubeless, but that requires some homework and extra bits quite probably.

Yeah i'm sticking with presta as thats what comes on the bike, don't want to start messing around with drilling etc

I'll have to check the wheel or even the old tube,as you said it is confusing

The tube i linked says it repairs and seals punctures up to 3MM, so was thinking that ticks all boxes.
    I Put the can things they had in aldi or lidl before, but that was months ago so obviously gone now or wheel wouldn't be flat
    I dunno about tubles, read about it and does sound like a lot of work and high chance to go wrong

• Advertisement

I'll have to check the wheel or even the old tube,as you said it is confusing

The tyres should have the size written somewhere on the sidewalls. The rims may also have the dimensions on them.
    I Put the can things they had in aldi or lidl before, but that was months ago so obviously gone now or wheel wouldn't be flat

Sealant may have dried up; or you may have had a few small punctures that were sealed, or a big one that no amount of sealant could stop. Or might not have had enough sealant in the tube in the first place. Hard to say really; I'm sure others could come up with other possibilities on top of those and we'd still be none the wiser. I've never used such tubes so can't say with any conviction, and I run tubeless these days anyway.
    I dunno about tubles, read about it and does sound like a lot of work and high chance to go wrong

It's actually quite simple really. It just seems complicated when you first approach the subject. Tubeless wont stop flats, but it does reduce the likelihood. Tyre sealant does need topped up periodically too, so it's not a case of "fit and forget for a few years". If you're happy rocking tubes for the time being, then stick with it until you either get fed up of punctures or curiosity takes a hold.

The tyres should have the size written somewhere on the sidewalls. The rims may also have the dimensions on them.

Sealant may have dried up; or you may have had a few small punctures that were sealed, or a big one that no amount of sealant could stop. Or might not have had enough sealant in the tube in the first place. Hard to say really; I'm sure others could come up with other possibilities on top of those and we'd still be none the wiser. I've never used such tubes so can't say with any conviction, and I run tubeless these days anyway.

It's actually quite simple really. It just seems complicated when you first approach the subject. Tubeless wont stop flats, but it does reduce the likelihood. Tyre sealant does need topped up periodically too, so it's not a case of "fit and forget for a few years". If you're happy rocking tubes for the time being, then stick with it until you either get fed up of punctures or curiosity takes a hold.

I brought the tube over to halfords and got more or less the same size and showed the tube I linked and a “cheap” own brand one and he said yeah they'll fit. The slime brand was 4 more and didn't see much point in paying so much more for a name on the box

All this is new or needing refreshing as haven't cycled in years, on the last bike i had kevlar or antipuncutre tyres and never had any issues, food for thought as threads are going fast on tyres that came with bike

I wouldn't mind trying it out to see, as i said it's either new or a fresher and i am open to knew ways, anything that means more cycling and less hassle im game to try

Advertisement