Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway Harbour Company has banned Motorhome Parking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Were those spaces being advertised officially as overnight motorhome parking prior to the council getting involved? Apologies if this was covered elsewhere in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Field east

Look what the dublin city officials did to a very lucrative idea that was all set up to go re the Gareth Brook concerts and earning the country millions.The media referred to the apparent fact that some council staff lived in the area, or and were from the area or and had relatives in the area or and had property rented in the area. It is hard to say what association the media was making.
    So, Did one or a number of MH owners do something to upset a council or port official - like driving over her/his pet gerbil with your big MH and inflicting a serious injury? If that's the case then all is fair in love and war . it's pay back time. Remember we are in Ireland and we think differently to the Brittish, French Germans

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Morgan The Moon

piuswal wrote: »
    I tend to agree with the need for an overall approach but I would await the outcome of the Dungarvan meeting and decision.

It looks like there could be a positive outcome and if so, coupled with the Cobh and Middleton positions there would be the possible template for the overall case.

Signage;

Use the international sign with Failte or STAD.

So far personally I like both, "Stad" and "Failte". Failte on the signage of the International symbol of the Motorhome would send out an enormous positive message to any visiting Motorhome enthusiast. "Stad" would give us an identifiable Irish definition of what we and others know as "Aires" "Stellplatz" "Sostas" etc.

As suggested in a previous post the wording "Stad" could be submitted to Wikipedia fairly easily. When discussing the subject with councillors etc it can be quoted and the councillors can look up the meaning etc. They would realise the notion of such facilities is "World wide" and not just in their areas.

Increasingly the councillors will come to realise there is now a spotlight on Ireland.This topic is being watched and monitored by an international critical Motorhome fraternity.

Perhaps others viewing this thread would comment on the suggested terminology and if agreeable, maybe it could be suggested to the people who have done sterling work in discussing the point with the authorities to date.

Personally I would not like to step on anybodies toes or upset others already hard work.

Morg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

*Kol* wrote: »
    Were those spaces being advertised officially as overnight motorhome parking prior to the council getting involved? Apologies if this was covered elsewhere in the thread.

See 37 HERE

So far personally I like both, "Stad" and "Failte". Failte on the signage of the International symbol of the Motorhome would send out an enormous positive message to any visiting Motorhome enthusiast. "Stad" would give us an identifiable Irish definition of what we and others know as "Aires" "Stellplatz" "Sostas" etc.

As suggested in a previous post the wording "Stad" could be submitted to Wikipedia fairly easily. When discussing the subject with councillors etc it can be quoted and the councillors can look up the meaning etc. They would realise the notion of such facilities is "World wide" and not just in their areas.

Increasingly the councillors will come to realise there is now a spotlight on Ireland.This topic is being watched and monitored by an international critical Motorhome fraternity.

Perhaps others viewing this thread would comment on the suggested terminology and if agreeable, maybe it could be suggested to the people who have done sterling work in discussing the point with the authorities to date.

Personally I would not like to step on anybodies toes or upset others already hard work.

Morg.

One often sees accueil in France at motorhome parking areas which has the meaning welcome as does fáilte.

I would be inclined to go for Fáilte which is universally stood by tourists to mean welcome and when accompanying the internationally recognised motorhome parking sign it also 'welcomes' motorhomes to park

Stad which means stop and is seen at junctions in An Ghaeltacht could be confused as indicating 'do not proceed' or 'keep out' by foreign tourists with a poor understanding of the English language.

• Advertisement

niloc1951 wrote: »
    One often sees accueil in France at motorhome parking areas which has the meaning welcome as does fáilte.

I would be inclined to go for Fáilte which is universally stood by tourists to mean welcome and when accompanying the internationally recognised motorhome parking sign it also 'welcomes' motorhomes to park

Stad which means stop and is seen at junctions in An Ghaeltacht could be confused as indicating 'do not proceed' or 'keep out' by foreign tourists with a poor understanding of the English language.

Point taken, it's good to tease out possibilities. You did make a good suggestion prior in the thread. Are you still happy with that one.

Morg

Point taken, it's good to tease out possibilities. You did make a good suggestion prior in the thread. Are you still happy with that one.

Morg

Geaeilge is widely spoken in Galway being adjacent to An Ghealtacht so I would leave it to them to come up with a suitable description as Gaeilgewhen that day comes that a parking area for motorhomes is being set up. :D:D

Geaeilge is widely spoken in Galway being adjacent to An Ghealtacht so I would leave it to them to come up with a suitable description as Gaeilgewhen that day comes that a parking area for motorhomes is being set up. :D:D

And many years may pass before an opportunity is no longer a vision in the mist of Galway Bay ! There are other opportunities and other visions surrounding this Island of Ireland !

Our closest neighbours have failed dismally to embrace the idea of what we are looking for. Shackled to the Caravan Club lobby within the corridors of EU Parliament. They consider the CL type member only option as their way to control the Motorhome usage option, providing for parking opportunities, with facilities. Their Government position is hi-jacked with landed gentry opinion and patronage of the Caravan Club. The meddling of opinion within the EU is not helpful for us as a member state. Finding and adopting a Irish identity for Motorhome parking places would help to set Ireland aside from the anti EU stance frequently adopted and voiced by our closest neighbours.

Hopefully others will embrace the idea and wording will materialise.

Morg

And many years may pass before an opportunity is no longer a vision in the mist of Galway Bay ! There are other opportunities and other visions surrounding this Island of Ireland !

Our closest neighbours have failed dismally to embrace the idea of what we are looking for. Shackled to the Caravan Club lobby within the corridors of EU Parliament. They consider the CL type member only option as their way to control the Motorhome usage option, providing for parking opportunities, with facilities. Their Government position is hi-jacked with landed gentry opinion and patronage of the Caravan Club. The meddling of opinion within the EU is not helpful for us as a member state. Finding and adopting a Irish identity for Motorhome parking places would help to set Ireland aside from the anti EU stance frequently adopted and voiced by our closest neighbours.

Hopefully others will embrace the idea and wording will materialise.

Morg

There is a significant lobby for motorhome parking facilities gaining traction in the UK.
    In NI there are over half a dozen Council provided Aires and in England quite a few councils are providing them too.

Here are two sources of information about current motorhome parking places in The UK

There are what might be termed 'private Aires' Motorhome Stopovers which has over 570 places free to members who subscribe £30 per year
    and The Out and About Live Motorhome friendly parking guide, published by our friend MMM, which lists 674 free or pay&display parking places within public car parks or dedicated motorhome parking areas.

Not quite Mainland European availability but certainly going in the right direction unlike here.

See 37 HERE

Thanks for that. I did look at that site when this thread opened but had forgotten about it. There is a long thread in Motorhome craic about this too.

• Advertisement

There is a significant lobby for motorhome parking facilities gaining traction in the UK.
    In NI there are over half a dozen Council provided Aires and in England quite a few councils are providing them too.

Here are two sources of information about current motorhome parking places in The UK

There are what might be termed 'private Aires' Motorhome Stopovers which has over 570 places free to members who subscribe £30 per year
    and The Out and About Live Motorhome friendly parking guide, published by our friend MMM, which lists 674 free or pay&display parking places within public car parks or dedicated motorhome parking areas.

Not quite Mainland European availability but certainly going in the right direction unlike here.
    Considering the Motorhome Industry is significant and the large number of Motorhomes registered, our closest neighbours have failed dismally to embrace the idea of what we are looking for. Shackled to the Caravan Club lobby within the corridors of EU Parliament.

I accept the position that has developed in the North of Ireland. The facilities well documented and advertised are not as a direct implementation of EU Legislation. Neither are they the result of UK Government Policy or because of lobbying by the Caravan Club.

Enthusiasts and Councils, encouraged and educated by enthusiasts have resulted in the development of the facilities installed.

The MMM has a large readership and also accepts advertising from the main Motorhome manufactures, Motorhome suppliers and many of the industries suppliers of large quantities of the various additional pieces of equipment required by enthusiasts. I am unaware of any official lobbying of the UK Government or EU representative directly by the collective sector of the Motorhome Industry regarding the provision of public Motorhome facilities as provided in other EU states.

I repeat "failed dismally", I except the momentum is increasing and some headway is being made by enthusiasts. "Private Aires" Motorhome Stopovers which has over 570 places free to members who subscribe £30 per year. The problem as I see it is combined with the Caravan Club Certified Locations availability, it is making the EU position difficult to pursue as the UK Government consider facilities are available. Many are in my opinion difficult to use and often in areas were walking or cycling to places of interest is difficult. Correct me if I am wrong but many Cl operators have difficulty in gaining planning permission to "upsize" to allow ten Motorhomes use the site. Many have adequate areas and would like to upsize to enable some profit to be envisaged.

In Ireland there is a situation regarding various establishments that have agreed with a Motorhome Club to allow members to stay overnight. These such places are similar to some of the "Motorhome stopovers". The out and about live "Motorhome friendly parking guide is a collection of possible parking places. I'm sure many would agree considering the size and monetary value of the UK Motorhome Industry little has been accomplished in comparison to other EU States. Most of the lobbying is done by enthusiasts and not by the Industry.

The approach being made here in Ireland is in my opinion correct and selective to areas were there appears to be a good chance of success. Adopting an Irish name to define the "Motorhome placement" would in my opinion give weight to accessing funds to provide for the facilities. Once one is achieved, it adds weight to the next etc etc. In applying for funding an "Irish" name will enhance the possibilities.

As "Galway Port" had allowed some parking of Motorhomes and not advertised a restriction at the parking facility in it's conception, or had such a restriction notified as a condition of the planing conditions, retrospectively announcing such a restriction would have no legal standing. To attach a clamp or any other device to a vehicle parked in the area were no original restriction existed would be illegal.

Does anybody Know if the Port received any EU funding when the Electrical Points were installed ?

Morg.

The Harbour Company has announced redevelopment plans.

The overall scheme is reportedly to take up to eight years to complete.

Pressure should be put on them to include facilities for Motorhomes.

They will probably be applying for any grant monies that are available.

E.U. Part funding for the plans they have lodged will probably be detailed shortly ! A good chance to convince them for an inclusion of a "Stad". I have detailed reasoning in other posts as to why an Irish named Motorhome "Aire" "Stellplatz" could also attract E.U. part funding. How these projects are funded in other countries is to apply for all possible individual aspects available and roll the accumulation into planned development.

To include a Motorhome facility in such a project would not be an E.U. first but it could be an Irish first.

Morg

Hi Niloc1951,
    Do you know if Cobh have requested for E.U. funding !! ?

Hi Niloc1951,
    Do you know if Cobh have requested for E.U. funding !! ?

Don't know, but the cost of providing the parking is just that for a bit of paint to mark out the additional spaces. The signs are already in existence.
    As regards the services, it looks like they will be part of the development of the new marina facility for boats, which is receiving local funding some of which is possibly originating from the EU. See HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Nivekork

Thanks Niloc for the link to the East Cork Journal - well spotted.

Great to see Cobh developing - but the idea that in french Aires "Many pay between €20 - €30 to park up per night" is well wide of the mark. My experience is that charges in France range from €0 to €10 and usually less than €5 per night and charges above that range in Ireland are not realistic.

Nivekork wrote: »
    Thanks Niloc for the link to the East Cork Journal - well spotted.

Great to see Cobh developing - but the idea that in french Aires "Many pay between €20 - €30 to park up per night" is well wide of the mark. My experience is that charges in France range from €0 to €10 and usually less than €5 per night and charges above that range in Ireland are not realistic.

Looks like the reporter got his facts mixed up.
    You are right about the charges for parking on Aires, the sums mentioned in the article are more typical of three or four star camp site charges, 'though basic municipal run campsites can be as low as €8 or €9 per night.

I have written to the Galway Harbour development team after reviewing the proposed redevelopment outline plans for Galway Harbour.

I have asked them to consider the inclusion of a Motorhome Parking / Services facilities in their proposals.

I have pointed out the possible attraction of E.U. Funding for inclusion of such a facility. I have also pointed out that an Irish wording for such a facility would also possibly attract some possible E.U. Funding.

Potentially within the whole development the costs of Motorhome facilities would not cost the project any more monies than was initially considered for their overall budget.

Galway planning authority may have to lobbied to allow such an inclusion.
    TD's and MEP's may need to be lobbied should the Harbour Company wish to consider including a Motorhome facility. It would be helpful if some of the Motorhome clubs also contact the Harbour Development Team.

Morg

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭T650

In Germany for work this week. Saw an ad for The Wild Atlantic Way on tv last night. Note the camper van.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2ts4WBn9z0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

T650 wrote: »
    In Germany for work this week. Saw an ad for The Wild Atlantic Way on tv last night. Note the camper van.

See some comment in Wild Atlantic Way thread.

• Advertisement

T650 wrote: »

Considering responses to approaches as to the basic needs for "motorcaravan" user's. It is"IRONIC" that an official tourist advert aimed at an audience that would expect somewhere signposted as to where they can empty their chemical toilets or take on fresh water, was filmed,produced and distributed is a joke!

Probably they do not even realise the subliminal inference of the inclusion of a "camper" in the advert.

As suggested in other posts, it would be interesting to see an audit of where the monies came from for this "misleading" advertising. E.U. Funds ? Maybe !

There again it may be useful for quoting it to all involved with the decision making regarding providing "aires" "stellplatz" or should we say "stad's" in Ireland.

Morg

Considering responses to approaches as to the basic needs for "motorcaravan" user's. It is"IRONIC" that an official tourist advert aimed at an audience that would expect somewhere signposted as to where they can empty their chemical toilets or take on fresh water, was filmed,produced and distributed is a joke!

Probably they do not even realise the subliminal inference of the inclusion of a "camper" in the advert.

As suggested in other posts, it would be interesting to see an audit of where the monies came from for this "misleading" advertising. E.U. Funds ? Maybe !

There again it may be useful for quoting it to all involved with the decision making regarding providing "aires" "stellplatz" or should we say "stad's" in Ireland.

Morg

I don't think that the advert is misleading. There was a camper-van in it for half a second. It wasn't aimed specifically at MH users either. For me its an advert for the wild Atlantic way aimed at getting people to visit Ireland, nothing more. I don't think Failte Ireland are trying to get a subliminal message across.

*Kol* wrote: »
    I don't think that the advert is misleading. There was a camper-van in it for half a second. It wasn't aimed specifically at MH users either. For me its an advert for the wild Atlantic way aimed at getting people to visit Ireland, nothing more. I don't think Failte Ireland are trying to get a subliminal message across.

Have to disagree.
    The inclusion of the iconic VW T2 Campervan does subliminally invite motorhome owners to experience the WAW.

While we locals know that the WAW is currently not motorhome friendly with regard to Aire type facilities it will come as a most unpleasant surprise to those from mainland Europe who are used to such being available on Driving Routes elsewhere in Europe.

Have to disagree.
    The inclusion of the iconic VW T2 Campervan does subliminally invite motorhome owners to experience the WAW.

While we locals know that the WAW is currently not motorhome friendly with regard to Aire type facilities it will come as a most unpleasant surprise to those from mainland Europe who are used to such being available on Driving Routes elsewhere in Europe.

I think you are reading too much into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I have to agree with *Kol* on this one.

I fail to see how watching a small VW T2 campervan going down a narrow, twisty road, that has no road markings, would make owners of motorhomes think that they will find the type of services that are available in mainland europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

I fail to see how watching a small VW T2 campervan going down a narrow, twisty road, that has no road markings, would make owners of motorhomes think that they will find the type of services that are available in mainland europe.

They don't need any TV ad to make those assumptions. If you talk to tourists or read the german forums those that didn't do their research spend a lot of time in aldi car parks at a loss for places to park and those that have done their research are still generally shocked by the height barriers everywhere. In france there are height barriers everywhere too but there is always unbarriered parking nearby.

I have to agree with *Kol* on this one.

It's not that anything in the advertisement actively indicates that motorhome parking areas are likely to be provided.
    It's the use of a campervan without any indication that there exists no parking or service areas for such a vehicle which is misleading.

To a mainland European unfamiliar with the restrictions and lack of parking/service facilities for such vehicles it is not unreasonable to make the assumption that such tourists would expect facilities which they are accustomed to being provided on such routes elsewhere in Europe.

Any who take up the invitation of the advertisement and do come here may be very disappointing and will inevitably add to the bad press we already receive regarding our lack of parking areas and service areas for touring motorhomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Whilst I agree that the facilities for motorhomes/campervans here are really non-existent I still find it hard to believe that anyone would bring a large(ish) vehicle over without chatting to others who have been here. Surely you would suss out the country you are going to and not just assume anything?.

Back in the mid 70's I converted a 53 seater coach to a motorhome for myself and my family to tour europe for a couple of years. But first of all I spoke to friends who had travelled through the countries that we would be going to. This, to me, made sense. (and we had no problems).

In no way am I defending the lack of facilities here, just sticking by the comments in my previous post.

At the end of the day "caveat emptor" really does apply, even it we are not happy about it.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭AutostratusEB

It would appear that the sign that started this entire thread off has been removed. Now there just appears to be smaller signs which say "privately operated car parking". Also some of the quayside 16A supplies have been covered up - this could be just a maintenance thing though.
    Go figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

It would appear that the sign that started this entire thread off has been removed. Now there just appears to be smaller signs which say "privately operated car parking". Also some of the quayside 16A supplies have been covered up - this could be just a maintenance thing though.
    Go figure.

I have been following this for a while now. This post however as soon as I read it sounds like a thinly veiled threat,whereby you will if you park in this car park you may or may not have to deal with a private company if you are clamped. They don't mention clappers but on reading the post,to me it's implied. As for the bollards covered up,again to me this says P.F.O. But it could be maintainence :rolleyes:

Advertisement