Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway Harbour Company has banned Motorhome Parking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Morgan The Moon

gozunda wrote: »
    I agree also its nice to have free facilities however the disposal of waste / water / rubbish I believe should be covered if used. The other important point is that some form of cover charge will likely keep out more permanent residents that may wish to avail of said facilities.

Again you are right. The service machinery differs throughout the EU. Some charge a modest fee for fresh water, some charge for waste etc. Some charge nothing. Some sites have a "parking ticket" machine with an hourly, daily and overnight charge.

The "policing" of some sites is rigorous and some not. The policing of most sites is rigorous, I know the "police" in some member states " take action straight away", they direct the "Itinerants" to municipal camp-sites. Another aspect of EU legislation that is not complied with in Ireland. Many "stelplatz" in Germany do not have a time restriction, some restrict to 24hr, 48hr, etc. I am told this is to enable "police" to removed unwanted elements were the Municipal option doesn't exist.

Interesting : when travelling through out the EU, many fellow "Motorhome Enthusiasts" tell of their visits to Ireland, I have never heard a total negative of their overall experience. They find the "parking issue" challenging and it does get mentioned as a negative. Most people that come here with a Motorhome travel for six to eight weeks around Ireland. Some of course travel for shorter periods. Whatever, they are spending money!! Any facilities that are installed by local councils would generate income into the local economy.

Morg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Although I agree with most of the postings, so far, I do have a few questions, and thoughts, that relate to small MH's, ones that, apart from the height, are no bigger than a 4 x 4 or large car (I had a Mark 10 Jaguar at one time that was much bigger than my MH !! )

In countries that have designated parking areas are MH's banned from parking on public roads/car parks?.

In these countries are there seperate charges for parking, elec, water etc? do they have toilet facilities ? (Ireland is well known for its lack of public toilets). I carry enough water for the 2 or 3 days that I'm away, I have a solar panel on the roof that keeps the leisure batt charged and don't have elec hook-up.

All that I and many other small MH owners require is somewhere to park within reasonable proximity of a toilet which usually, I'm obviously reluctant to say, is a pub car park (It's a hard life).

With regard to the naming of a parking area, although it would be nice to have it in Irish, it must be remembered that there are millions of people that speak German, French and English but not so many Irish speakers. How about a picture of a MH with the word "Failte".

Although I agree with most of the postings, so far, I do have a few questions, and thoughts, that relate to small MH's, ones that, apart from the height, are no bigger than a 4 x 4 or large car (I had a Mark 10 Jaguar at one time that was much bigger than my MH !! )

In countries that have designated parking areas are MH's banned from parking on public roads/car parks?.

In these countries are there seperate charges for parking, elec, water etc? do they have toilet facilities ? (Ireland is well known for its lack of public toilets). I carry enough water for the 2 or 3 days that I'm away, I have a solar panel on the roof that keeps the leisure batt charged and don't have elec hook-up.

All that I and many other small MH owners require is somewhere to park within reasonable proximity of a toilet which usually, I'm obviously reluctant to say, is a pub car park (It's a hard life).

With regard to the naming of a parking area, although it would be nice to have it in Irish, it must be remembered that there are millions of people that speak German, French and English but not so many Irish speakers. How about a picture of a MH with the word "Failte".

I will post a link to some you tube videos that will explain allot of what is out there. With your set up, you would be able to park almost anywhere, with the added advantage when and if you need it you can get services with out being ripped off by campsite charges. Incidentally, many campsites in Denmark have a quick stop availability. Some times outside the main camping area just for motorhomes, campers vans, en-route caravans etc.
    some are 12hrs, 24hrs. Normally you cannot use the main campsite facilities just, services etc.

I agree with the picture of a MH with the word "Failte". For signage etc, but I still think an agreeable "Irish" word maybe helpful in opening certain peoples minds to accommodating our needs. When you see the you tube videos you will see there is a total package just waiting to be seized on by an Irish based entrepreneur.

Morg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I will post a link to some you tube videos that will explain allot of what is out there. With your set up, you would be able to park almost anywhere, with the added advantage when and if you need it you can get services with out being ripped off by campsite charges. Incidentally, many campsites in Denmark have a quick stop availability. Some times outside the main camping area just for motorhomes, campers vans, en-route caravans etc.
    some are 12hrs, 24hrs. Normally you cannot use the main campsite facilities just, services etc.

I agree with the picture of a MH with the word "Failte". For signage etc, but I still think an agreeable "Irish" word maybe helpful in opening certain peoples minds to accommodating our needs. When you see the you tube videos you will see there is a total package just waiting to be seized on by an Irish based entrepreneur.

Morg

Would you be willing to pay for that total package that is just waiting to be seized on by an Irish based entrepreneur? That is a question that was asked in an earlier post which I see has so far not been answered?

*Kol* wrote: »
    Would you be willing to pay for that total package that is just waiting to be seized on by an Irish based entrepreneur? That is a question that was asked in an earlier post which I see has so far not been answered?

I am not quite sure what you are asking ? Sorry I haven't seen the earlier posts you refer to.

Maybe you can help me with posting url's and links to you tube. I tried but I am getting the new user restriction blockage.

Morg

• Advertisement

Morg

Thanks Morg, with my set-up I've never had any parking problems (unlike in the '70's when I converted a 53 seater coach, now that was a problem!) so I could stick my head in the sand and not get involved, but that's not the way my mind works.
    The main problem for me is that having had 3 spinal ops. in the last three and a half years I can't walk far so need to be in a town or village.
    I agree that having some Irish on signs could open peoples minds. As far as the "total package" is concerned are we out of the recession enough for someone to put money into what could be a long term investment?. Far better for councils to do it as an amenity that would benefit the whole community imo.

I look forward to the links as I never take my MH out of the country.

The main problem for me is that having had 3 spinal ops. in the last three and a half years I can't walk far so need to be in a town or village.

Sorry to learn of your difficulties, most "Aire's" "Stellplatz" "Sosta's" are exactly what would enable enthusiasts with disabilities enjoy a new found freedom. Safe overnight parking in the heart of villages, towns and even Cities. Services if you need them, but you only pay for what you use.

Morg

I am not quite sure what you are asking ? Sorry I haven't seen the earlier posts you refer to.

Maybe you can help me with posting url's and links to you tube. I tried but I am getting the new user restriction blockage.

Morg

I am asking how much should be charged for these facilities if they are not free? It was asked earlier in a post by Gozuna ( you replied to that post). I don't see why they should be free as there will be a cost associated with providing and maintaining them.

I am asking how much should be charged for these facilities if they are not free? I don't see why they should be free as there will be a cost associated with providing and maintaining them. You can pm me the youtube links and I will post them

I completely agree as far as charges are concerned. As Morg said, pay only for what you use, be it just parking facilities or the whole package.
    Even to the extent of coin slot toilets, after all, they use water which has to be paid for (but that's an issue for another thread!).

I completely agree as far as charges are concerned. As Morg said, pay only for what you use, be it just parking facilities or the whole package.
    Even to the extent of coin slot toilets, after all, they use water which has to be paid for (but that's an issue for another thread!).

Agreed. But what do you think is a fair price for overnight parking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

Wouldn't it be great if either Aldi or Lidl allowed motorhomes to park overnight in their parking areas. They would sure get my business in the morning, for breakfast and maybe the rest of the day's shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

What an interesting thread this has turned into,As for the OP I'm still at as loss as to why the the council are taking this line with the harbour company but it is very encouraging to see the pressure they are coming under to explain the decision
    I do agree it is time that the whole hobby of motorhomeing be marketed in a different light in this country,I do feel that the general public are not fully aware of what we are about re our needs and the benefits we would bring to an area,but it would take careful management, when you court the press and government it only takes one or two bad apples to show us in a bad light, which makes it very important to act responsibly when we are out in our vans,

As for what i would be willing to pay to stay in an irish STAD (I like that name). It would come down to supply and demand as when we travel in Europe a popular tourist area would command a better price than a out of the way area and then again it would depend on the services available , If euro funding is available i feel we would have a lot more interest in providing services
    Time to get lobbying

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

In the USA Walmart welcomes overnighting RV's. They are the owners of Asda. No facilities, but a safe place to park [not camp!].

If the parking areas were council owned then, like the car parks and on street parking, there's no reason why there should be a charge for nighttime except for other services that are provided. Daytime parking charges could be the same as car parks.

Hi Kol,
    I have pm'ed the url's and you tube links. Hope that works OK.

I am sorry I miss understood your post re price.

The free sites I have come across are either fully developed wIth EU funds or totaly supported by the local council and business.

Enjoy the vids,

Morg

You tube links from Morgan.

http://www.mobilisten.de/stellplaetz...-hitzacker.php

This stellplatz was founded by EU Funds. For six years after completion they cannot charge a fee for overnight parking. ie. as a EU citizen you have already paid. ie your taxes.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMjCjJkxsSk

Bienenbuettel, another EU part funded stellplatz.
    Overnight cost here was 6,-Euro for parking, water and electricity was extera. Dumping grey water and chemical toilet was

If the parking areas were council owned then, like the car parks and on street parking, there's no reason why there should be a charge for nighttime except for other services that are provided. Daytime parking charges could be the same as car parks.

I agree if it's open to cars and campervans. If it's specific to campervans there should be an overnight charge. A nominal fee for water would be fair and black water disposal. Grey water disposal should be FOC.

Hi Kol,
    The link to Hitzacker did not work.

Can you try again but include the whole directory as I posted.

include the deutschland/29456-hitzacker.php

Morg

Hi Kol,
    The link to Hitzacker did not work.

Can you try again but include the whole directory as I posted.

include the deutschland/29456-

Morg

www.mobilisten.de/stellplaetze/deutschland/29456-hitzacker.php

In some Welsh Car Parks, overnight cost is £0.50, ie. Conway Castle, no services, two mins walk into the centre.

Brecon, £0.50, no services.

Hay on Wye. £0.50 no service's

But we are welcome for 24 hr's in any seven days. ie Stay a night and move along. Do'nt return within seven days.

Morg

• Advertisement

JonMac wrote: »
    In the USA Walmart welcomes overnighting RV's. They are the owners of Asda. No facilities, but a safe place to park [not camp!].

Some Tesco stores over the water will let you stay. Arrive before closing buy some groceries and ask. I have never been refused !!

Morg

Some Tesco stores over the water will let you stay. Arrive before closing buy some groceries and ask. I have never been refused !!

Morg

That's nice of them. If that was my car park I wouldn't let you stay in case something happened to you and in some way I was liable. Unfortunately that's the litigious society we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Many Supermarches in France also allow overnight stays.

Thanks for Stellplaz link - looks nice

I agree if it's open to cars and campervans. If it's specific to campervans there should be an overnight charge. A nominal fee for water would be fair and black water disposal. Grey water disposal should be FOC.

Although I would have no objections to a small charge I really don't see that it would be justified, and I would certainly object to cars being allowed to use the parking spaces. There are plenty of car parks that are free for overnight and weekend parking and they have height barriers to prevent larger vehicles using them.
    Out of season, Oct - March ?, perhaps open to all and sundry but during the main MH season MH's only imo.

Morg & Kol, thanks for the links. Very interesting.
    I took my converted coach and toured Germany for a couple of months, back in the 70's, with my (then) wife and children, liked it so much we rented a house and stayed for 2 years about 50km from Dortmund. Would love to go back but don't think my little MH would be up to it:(, and now that I'm a pensioner the cost would be a little out of my range.

Reasons why EU, Irish Government and Councils should provide parking and services for Motorhomes, Campervans etc.

As enthusiast we all pay tax.

If you import a MH, you pay VRT, and VAT. Part of any VAT collected is passed on to EU coffers. Were does the VRT go?
    Every drop of diesel, you pay tax and VAT.
    Every thing you buy to enhance your chosen way of enjoying your pastime / way of life, you pay tax and VAT.

There is a business sector servicing our needs, garages, spares, leisure equipment etc. They all pay tax and VAT.

If it was all quantified it would add up to a fair old some each year.

Does anybody know anything provided for our chosen pastime by The Government or by the EU, in Ireland.

When we are out and about we spend money in local economies, every transaction we pay tax ! The local council charges rates etc to local business. Part of that money is from us.

Local councils, if they provided the facilities would potentially be able to apply for funding from the EU to install the necessary equipment. The Irish Government should part fund the cost. With Tax money they are getting of us.

Eventually they would get there money back !! Why, because part of the cost of using the facilities would be the dreaded TAX !

So know you see were I am coming from, we pay for the things in one way or another. Hence that is why in other EU States they do not ROB you to use the facilities.

We even have to pay Tax to drive on the crap roads.

Morg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I am asking how much should be charged for these facilities if they are not free? It was asked earlier in a post by Gozuna ( you replied to that post). I don't see why they should be free as there will be a cost associated with providing and maintaining them.

I've covered over 91,000kms touring Europe since 2006 and must have used hundreds of motorhome parking areas. I've seen the good the bad and the ugly:D.
    The price range is €0.00 to €12.00 the offering is parking for 24 hours and service.
    Sometimes the services are charged for usually a max of €3, others it's included in the fee but often both the parking and services are provided at the expense of the local council to encourage visitors to their area.
    The higher price range would be a high demand resort area in high season, but such areas would reduced their charges to €5/€7 on the off season.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

niloc1951 wrote: »
    I've covered over 91,000kms touring Europe since 2006 and must have used hundreds of motorhome parking areas. I've seen the good the bad and the ugly:D.
    The price range is €0.00 to €12.00 the offering is parking for 24 hours and service.
    Sometimes the services are charged for usually a max of €3, others it's included in the fee but often both the parking and services are provided at the expense of the local council to encourage visitors to their area.
    The higher price range would be a high demand resort area in high season, but such areas would reduced their charges to €5/€7 on the off season.

In France, I often spend two nights in one place - arrive in the, usually, late afternoon, do my sight seeing the next day, stay the night and head on the following morning. Thus the town or village gets good business from me.

Occassionally, I go to a camp site, usually if I consider the area might not be too safe if I am awayt for the day. In September, the most I paid was €18 for a great site with swimming pool, shop, excellent washing,toilet and laundry facilities; most of the site had individual spaces surrounded by a tall hedge on three sides. As the site was close to Switzerland and Geneva, I presume that is the reason it was so expensive! Took the bus to Geneva for the day.

Stayed 2 days in Aix-les-Bains where there was nor enough space for all the motorhomes and the town opened the height barriers to the car park across the road, to let the overflow in. Excellent location near restaurants and only 50 metres to the lakeside and harbour. NO CHARGE.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Bruffkid

Hi Folks

here is a link to Galway Bay FM re the parking ban

Galway Bay FM program, please click here:

http://galwaybayfm.ie/keith-finnegan-show-october-22nd-2014/

Motorhome discussion starts at 18minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Bruffkid

My wife & i went to Normandy France this August first time with my Motorhome i could no get over the way the treat Motorhomes over there we stayed in Aries sites for the Two weeks the cheapest was free the dearest was €12.30 included hookup, water, & WI-Fi .. We spent our money in the Villages & Towns we went to and enjoyed every minuter so relaxing.. Then we get back Home to reality Killarney for instance €25 + €5 Hookup for one night you would never use €5 in electric.. This country need to embrace Motorhomes because they bring a lot of Money into the country re Diesel Food & Drink but it seems the people with the Power don't see this.

• Advertisement

Just listened to the Interview!!

Take bow Colin, well done you represented the Motorhome fraternity very well. Thanks.

Morg

Advertisement