Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chernobyl - HBO/Sky *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Hurrache wrote: »
    I'm always amused at men getting intimidated and irritated with women just because they're women. Freud would love to be around these days.

Nope, thats not it ....

The comparisons of radiation exposures to x-ray doses are meaningless as much of the contamination is from radioisotopes of elements that your body uses. So they will be swallowed, inhaled, absorbed and become incorporated into your tissues e.g. built into your bones where they will continue to be radioactive for the rest of your life in some cases or at least for a significant time in the cases of shorter lives isotopes.

I personally would have no worries at all visiting and very much plan to. While true the isotopes are much longer lived and have high body burden you simply aren’t going to be exposed to alpha or beta radiation in any meaning full way by visiting the town or the plant itself once you are smart about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

It's not that instantaneous exposure. It's the fact you could inhale or consume hot particles.
    I'd just rather not increase lifetime cancer risk for the sake of seeing a covered up clapped out reactor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

furiousox wrote: »
    'Inside Chernobyl's Mega Tomb' being shown on BBC4 TV tomorrow 16/6 @ 9pm.

http://www.windfallfilms.com/show/6894/inside-chernobyls-mega-tomb.aspx

For those that missed here it is.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6epj10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

cena wrote: »
    For those that missed here it is.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6epj10

They showed that documentary to us on the bus on the way to Chernobyl, that and "Battle for Chernobyl" - great way to introduce us to the whole area/accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

dasdog wrote: »
    Very good show but there is far too many shots of stubbing out cigarettes
    At about 5p a packet it was almost the norm, especially with men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

There’s a sky news show on Chernobyl on Sky Atlantic tomorrow at 9

This may have been answered already, although the last couple of pages that I have read have been about gender politics :rolleyes: so maybe not.

When Dr Legassov went to the hotel and ordered vodka after he had heard the true level of the radiation, he indicated a different, seemingly similar looking glass he wanted his vodka in. Does anyone know why? With my limited knowledge of particle physics, my only explanation is that it was leaded glass and so somewhat resilient to the radiation. However, it doesn't ring true. Perhaps just superstition?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Melodeon

This may have been answered already, although the last couple of pages that I have read have been about gender politics :rolleyes: so maybe not.

When Dr Legassov went to the hotel and ordered vodka after he had heard the true level of the radiation, he indicated a different, seemingly similar looking glass he wanted his vodka in. Does anyone know why? With my limited knowledge of particle physics, my only explanation is that it was leaded glass and so somewhat resilient to the radiation. However, it doesn't ring true. Perhaps just superstition?

I seem to remember that the first glass was upright, and he asked for one that was upside down.

• Advertisement

Ah, the Daily Star. A reputable source of in depth journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Melodeon wrote: »
    I seem to remember that the first glass was upright, and he asked for one that was upside down.

It also seemed to have been washed/cleaned as there was a faint ring of moisture on the cloth.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

They mention this scene in the podcast. It's meant to portray the contradiction between what Legasov knows as a scientist (he's in danger simply by being there in Pripyat) and his attempt to exert some control/precaution against the radiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The risk with nuclear power accidents is huge scale, very long term serious contamination. It's not really an explosive / shockwave risk like a weapon.

This is something I didn't appreciate prior to watching this show.
    I would have believed that the nuclear explosion would have gone in all directions and basically melted people where they stud.
    Instead, it was more of an invisible danger.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Watched the megatomb documentary, have to say didn’t install huge confidence. It’ll be some task dismantling the old cover, might be looking for a few iodine tablets to stick in the press!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Having just finished the HBO/sky series and the battle of Chernobyl, the thing that stands out most to me is the selflessness of the liquidators.

They risked (and many sacrificed) their lives, and as a result, Europe has uncontaminated land and water. Our food is safe to eat, our cancer rates are normal. Yet it seems that they have been forgotten by official Europe. (All of Europe, not just the EU). My real hope is that something good comes of this attention. I hope they will be properly cared for, they and their families given good housing, medical and financial support. And that cost should be borne by all of Europe.

They're not forgotten by official Europe, rather the USSR saw the whole incident as an unfortunate embarrassment to be covered up, so they got very little recognition in terms of publicity anyway.

Had they been in a different regime, they'd have been getting commemorated forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

They're not forgotten by official Europe, rather the USSR saw the whole incident as an unfortunate embarrassment to be covered up, so they got very little recognition in terms of publicity anyway.

Had they been in a different regime, they'd have been getting commemorated forever.

I think commemoration matters very little compared with properly looking after them. And your point about the USSR is exactly missing the point I was making - it's not just the (now non-existent) USSR who ought to look after them. Their actions directly saved lives across, and the ability to inhabit, all of Europe. There should be an international responsibility to them. I mean jesus, the country that sent them in doesn't even exist anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Having just finished the HBO/sky series and the battle of Chernobyl, the thing that stands out most to me is the selflessness of the liquidators.

They risked (and many sacrificed) their lives, and as a result, Europe has uncontaminated land and water. Our food is safe to eat, our cancer rates are normal. Yet it seems that they have been forgotten by official Europe. (All of Europe, not just the EU). My real hope is that something good comes of this attention. I hope they will be properly cared for, they and their families given good housing, medical and financial support. And that cost should be borne by all of Europe.
    The liquidators I think do get financial support from the government of the Ukraine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Sky news/Atlantic documentary from this week. For all the arguing over what character was real or a composite or what gender they were or whether the show was completely faithful, this is who really matter. The people affected by the aftermath.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,902 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

teednab-el wrote: »
    How people living in the USSR at the time could accept such a corrupt and lieing government and decisions on the disaster were affecting peoples health and their future lives. The soviet union didn't fall half quick enough if you ask me.

It's naivety of a spectacular level if you believe that the same kind of "lieing" wouldn't go on in other countries too, if such an event were to happen elsewhere.

Bureaucracy breeds liars and lying and any political, state or corporate level organisation is a quagmire of lies destined to present a certain face.
    teednab-el wrote: »
    They should have evacuated the people of pyripyat when they knew the situation was bad. They evacuated them 36 hours after the explosion.

Evacuating tens of thousands of people is no easy feat. The fact that they could do it within 36 hours is a pretty remarkable achievement in itself.

The worrying thing is when you start looking at other nuclear incidents over the years. Even going back to the 1950s, the Windscale Fire (aka Sellafield) was covered up and not reacted to. There were also huge releases in the US due to processing plants and so on.

The scariest bit of the lot is the sheer volume of atmospheric nuclear weapons tests and there's very little accurate information on a lot of them as it was all closely guarded military secrets.

Give this video a moment to start:

So many of them were done that Strontium-90 is detectable a huge % of teeth that were tested (i.e. removed wisdom teeth etc / children's 1st teeth) in the US. We're all probably carrying around radioisotopes from weapons testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Anyone who's interested there is a documentary on Chernobyl tonight on sky atlantic at half 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭robwen

Anyone who's interested there is a documentary on Chernobyl tonight on sky atlantic at half 10.

The same one that was on last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Eventually got around to watching this over the weekend. Certainly lives up to the hype...thankfully.
    Very well made and that closing music, just excellent.

I'd imagine it's a show I'll watch again some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

just finished watching this show and i wanted to sign up to discuss it

i've enjoyed reading this thread mostly and even though the show is finished i thought the best thing was the no russian accents from the actors i think the makers were right that it could have easily been comedic or distracting

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

Anyone know when this is out on dvd?

Am I the only one who thought that this was totally overhyped?..

Meh, just ended up being generic enough drama with some questionable acting at times?..

Meh, I'd have given it maybe 6/10..

Definitely nothing spectacular anyway..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Anyone know when this is out on dvd?

looks like July 29

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chernobyl-2019-Atlantic-Drama-Blu-ray/dp/B07SRF34B2
    £19.99

Pre-order Price Guarantee.

& FREE UK Delivery on orders dispatched by Amazon over £20. Delivery Details
    This title will be released on July 29, 2019.
    Pre-order now.
    Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.

Advertisement