Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Optician Recommendation South Dublin

• 05-06-2019 1:13am
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good optician in South Dublin? I have been going to Specsavers in Dundrum for the last 8 years or so, but the last couple of times I've been in there, I haven't been happy with the glasses. I'm due an eye test soon, so I was hoping to try somewhere different.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Toots wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good optician in South Dublin? I have been going to Specsavers in Dundrum for the last 8 years or so, but the last couple of times I've been in there, I haven't been happy with the glasses. I'm due an eye test soon, so I was hoping to try somewhere different.

What would you consider a good optician? Was it the vision through the glasses you were unhappy with? Would you be buying your glasses there? What's your budget?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Daisies wrote: »
    What would you consider a good optician? Was it the vision through the glasses you were unhappy with? Would you be buying your glasses there? What's your budget?

Sorry for the delay with the reply :o I wasn’t happy with the frames, they were really poor quality, and I only found out recently that basically they give you the floor model frames. I got regular glasses plus sunglasses and both pairs went back numerous times. The regular glasses had really loose arms, it felt like they’d been used and abused a bit. The sunglasses frames were damaged. They wouldn’t replace them because they didn’t have the frames in stock and wouldn’t let me return them for a refund.

Also I don’t like how you get the hard up-sell on everything in there. I think I paid just under €400 the last time I got glasses, so I’d expect to pay up to that again.

Alternatively I’m open to the option of getting an eye test somewhere and buying online, if that would be better.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Toots wrote: »
    Sorry for the delay with the reply :o I wasn’t happy with the frames, they were really poor quality, and I only found out recently that basically they give you the floor model frames. I got regular glasses plus sunglasses and both pairs went back numerous times. The regular glasses had really loose arms, it felt like they’d been used and abused a bit. The sunglasses frames were damaged. They wouldn’t replace them because they didn’t have the frames in stock and wouldn’t let me return them for a refund.

Also I don’t like how you get the hard up-sell on everything in there. I think I paid just under €400 the last time I got glasses, so I’d expect to pay up to that again.

Alternatively I’m open to the option of getting an eye test somewhere and buying online, if that would be better.

One thing to consider is if you buy online you have very little recourse for adjustments etc with the frames.
    Honestly for €400 for glasses and sunglasses (Polaroid?) Potentially Carroll's on the Main Street in Dundrum. So might be within that budget but some will be a lot more expensive.

Advertisement