Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do we start?

• 30-07-2018 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Myself and OH are keen gym goers, road runners and swimmers. We are thinking about taking up cycling so we can eventually complete a triathlon. We have a good level of fitness, lift weights 3 to 4 times per week, can comfortably run 10k + and also use assault bikes regularly as part of hiit workouts. I went to a well known bike store but was completely overwhelmed by the range, types of bikes and the prices. Can anyone offer some advice please as to what type of bike we need and how much we would need to spend please? I know that it a broad question but we don't know anything about cycling so any guidance would be really helpful.
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Gerry

If buying a road bike new you might want to budget about 1500 MAX give or take a few hundred and allowing you to get Tri bars as well. Any more than that and the bike may look nicer and make more expensive noises but it won't make you noticeably faster. If you go secondhand you could be getting bikes for the two of ye for that money. For that sort of money anyways you'd be on an aluminium bike with extremely good components. For the same on a carbon framed bike you'd need probably to double the money again.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

Gerry wrote:
    If buying a road bike new you might want to budget about 1500 MAX give or take a few hundred and allowing you to get Tri bars as well. Any more than that and the bike may look nicer and make more expensive noises but it won't make you noticeably faster. If you go secondhand you could be getting bikes for the two of ye for that money. For that sort of money anyways you'd be on an aluminium bike with extremely good components. For the same on a carbon framed bike you'd need probably to double the money again.

Wow thanks for all the great information. I was thinking perhaps 2nd hand until we get established and then invest in new bikes. Any recommendations as to where to buy or am I looking at adverts/donedeal? Based in Cork but willing to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Assuming you're both working your best bet is to look into the cycle to work scheme, as you'll get far better value buying new through that than second hand elsewhere.

For me the biggest thing is to get the best groupset you can afford. Look up what the options are - for cycle to work scheme money you're probably looking at Shimano 105 or equivalent. If you get the cycle to work scheme try to spend all of the €1000 and then some on the bike, i.e. don't buy a €700 bike and €300 worth of bits and bobs as you get the most bang for your buck spending on the bike. Obviously your own available budget is key but if you're getting into Tri it won't be cheap!

I don't know much about tri bars and the likes but unless you're going down the road of crazy money I doubt you'll be getting TT bikes straight off. 90% of triathletes use a normal road bike; it's only really the people at the pointy end of things who'll have fancy tri bikes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one piece of advice, which you already mentioned, would be buy a cheap S/H road bike and use it for a bit till you learn the ins and outs - which means you go in to the cycle to work scheme (if that's available to you) with some knowledge.
    the most important thing when buying is sizing; no matter how good the bike, if it's the wrong size, it's the wrong bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

We have a good level of fitness, lift weights 3 to 4 times per week, can comfortably run 10k + and also use assault bikes regularly as part of hiit workouts.
    What is an "assault bike"?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭buffalo

I was picturing more guns, maybe knives sticking out of the wheels, that sort of thing. Mad Max-chic.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I was thinking perhaps 2nd hand until we get established and then invest in new bikes. Any recommendations as to where to buy or am I looking at adverts/donedeal? Based in Cork but willing to travel.

First figure out your required frame size.

https://guides.wiggle.co.uk/wiggle-bike-size-guide

Don't fuss too much about size, people have a tendency to buy too big, but you need a comfortable bend at the elbow at the correct saddle height and then you're grand. You've almost certainly the fitness to get a proper race bike (longer and lower), you don't need a relaxed geometry "endurance" bike.

Then find a well-maintained (or barely ridden) bike and negotiate on price.

As a rule, bikes lose 20% a year, compounded, but sellers will often not recognise this reality and so the bikes end up rotting away in a shed unsold. One that hasn't been ridden or has been excellently maintained (like Trigger's broom) might keep its value a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

OP, I wouldn’t be bothering with the tri bars yet. Ultimately they are useful for (a) getting in a more comfortable position on the bike over long distances and (b) making you more aero and therefore cutting time off your cycle. As such, they are IMO only useful if you are doing triathlons of Half-iron distance or longer, or you are very serious about your time and where you come in the race. I’ve done around half a dozen triathlons (all sprints and standard distances) and I’d say only 10-20% of the bikes have them. As others have said, focus on getting the right bike first...you can always get these kind of add-ons if you get massively into the sport

• Registered Users Posts: 9,258 ✭✭✭Macy0161

You can pick up decent carbon road bikes for sub €2,000, especially if you wait for the end of the year (the TCR Advanced 105 for example). Decent aluminium for around €1000.

However, I would try to look second hand first or at least not blow your bike to work until you really know what you want (that's one of my regrets as I wait for it to come around again!). Or cheap if you're not comfortable with second hand (possibly lower end boardmans? not sure I'd go anything else in Halfords).

Clip on aero bars are the best bang for your buck thing you can do on the bike leg for some aero advantage, once you're comfortable on the bike on the road (with the lifting core strength isn't going to be an issue). Next is wheels. Most important thing is still the legs though - I managed competitive bike splits on an endurance disc braked bike with clip on aero bars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

Thanks everyone for all the great advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭fat bloke

As said above : size, size size.
    Very common mistake for people starting out to buy the wrong size bike. - Imagine running 10k in the wrong size shoes.

Go to loads more bike shops, do some reading, you won't be long getting a handle on the lingo. If you want to know what's better than what - price is a pretty solid indicator :)

Advertisement