Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rail Issue Tender for 600 Electric / Battery Carriages

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DoctorPan

Given that the future DART services will be covering longer distances (i.e. Drogheda and Maynooth), it might be an idea to have future fleets fitted with on-board toilet facilities. What do y'all reckon?

Some of these journeys could be up to 2 hours!

Peter Smyth's recent talk to Engineers Ireland mentioned that the new DARTs are to be fitted with toilets, one per 4 piece set as they will be expected to work runs from Greystones to Maynooth and Hazelhatch to Drogheda during their lifetimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

DoctorPan wrote: »
    Peter Smyth's recent talk to Engineers Ireland mentioned that the new DARTs are to be fitted with toilets, one per 4 piece set as they will be expected to work runs from Greystones to Maynooth and Hazelhatch to Drogheda during their lifetimes.

Wouldn't toilets remove standing space within carriages. I don't really see the need for toilets on short distance commuter trains that are only going a similar distance to a bus without toilets. I would imagine they would act as a hiding space for fare dodgers and would be prone to vandalism aswell as taking up space. I have been on commuter trains on the continent without toilets and didn't see any real need for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Wouldn't toilets remove standing space within carriages.

Not if the carriages are long enough. Besides, this doesn't appear to be a problem with the Commuter trains.
    I don't really see the need for toilets on short distance commuter trains that are only going a similar distance to a bus without toilets.

There could potentially be passengers doing the whole journey length. Also, there may be passengers who have IBS.
    I would imagine they would act as a hiding space for fare dodgers and would be prone to vandalism aswell as taking up space.

Better screening is all this needs at the point of sale and at the turnstiles.

Not if the carriages are long enough. Besides, this doesn't appear to be a problem with the Commuter trains.

Commuter trains don't tend to be as busy as the Dart and even when they are it appears the carriage layout is in fact worse for standing passengers
    There could potentially be passengers doing the whole journey length. Also, there may be passengers who have IBS.

The new Crossrail trains over in London don't have toilets and will travel even longer distances although all Crossrail stations are due to have toilets. As for passengers with IBS how do they manage today on the DART, the Luas or on buses which do not have on board jax.

I would have a personal preference towards a more of a metro style spec than a commuter spec for DART which would maximise standing room with some traditional seating layout aswell. This can already be seen today on the London Overground and Crossrail/TFL Rail.
    Better screening is all this needs at the point of sale and at the turnstiles.

What is needed is a higher onboard presence of revenue protection officers which are virtually non existant presently on IE commuter and DART service which is in my book a far more effective revenue protection technique than ticket barriers and station staff which should be used in addition to effective revenue protection staff. This can already be seen to a certain extent on the Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Honestly I don’t think we can afford to have toilets I can’t see platforms being lengthened again so 8 car trains is the max we’re gonna have so we need to maximize the amount each train can fit. The population isn’t gonna get any smaller so if you think it’s bad now just wait til you see it in 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Honestly I don’t think we can afford to have toilets I can’t see platforms being lengthened again so 8 car trains is the max we’re gonna have so we need to maximize the amount each train can fit. The population isn’t gonna get any smaller so if you think it’s bad now just wait til you see it in 10 years.

Sure, but if you have walk through gangways and the fact on an 8 car unit of the 8100s you have 8 cabs and you can go down to 4, means you are going to gain some capacity space.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'd think if you had toilets at every station and a decent frequency, then commuter trains really shouldn't need toilets. Get off, use the toilet, get on the next train if you are that bad.

The toilets on the commuter trains in Cork are pretty horrendous the last time I took that train. They will require a VERY high level of cleaning and maintenance to ensure they don't end up like that.

I'd rather see them maximise the space on the train and invest in station toilets. I can foresee trains needing to be taken out of service due to health and safety concerns.

EDIT: BTW Some might point out that it is hypocritical given my previous stance that every intercity coach should have a toilet. But my stance is that every intercity service that takes more then 2 hours, coach or train should have toilets, less then that and in particular for frequent services, it isn't needed IMO, not if stations have toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Remember this order allows a few extra meters (168m approx) over current 2x4 29000 (163m) and there will be 8 car units (i.e. two less driver cabs). 1 toilet per 4 car won't take up much room.

Edit - Both the 4 car and 8 car units should be through units like Thameslink class 700.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Remember this order allows a few extra meters (168m approx) over current 2x4 29000 (163m) and there will be 8 car units (i.e. two less driver cabs). 1 toilet per 4 car won't take up much room.

Edit - Both the 4 car and 8 car units should be through units like Thameslink class 700.

That is all great, but a toilet is still taking up room which could be used for more passengers.

And remember, I assume the toilet will need to be wheelchair accessible, so they will be on the large size.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Wouldn't have to worry about extending 8 car trains if IE would just run 8 car trains all the times it's supposed to be doing so :)

(Also get 3 tracking going on the Northern Line so there can be more actual trains instead of Newry commuter/Enterprise/DART/Tara Mines all competing for the same rails)

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    That is all great, but a toilet is still taking up room which could be used for more passengers.

And remember, I assume the toilet will need to be wheelchair accessible, so they will be on the large size.

You are over thinking it. When Maynooth is electrified I would expect a typical freq of 20 mins and there will be higher capacity on trains and improved frequency.

Passengers who keep bags on there back take up more room on a train than an accessible toilet would.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Since it will now be 4 coach and 8 coach fixed sets, there will be less space wasted on cabs and you can stand in between coaches so the net floor space will be bigger. You won't have the chunk of floor space in each coach for the exhaust either

You are over thinking it. When Maynooth is electrified I would expect a typical freq of 20 mins and there will be higher capacity on trains and improved frequency.

Passengers who keep bags on there back take up more room on a train than an accessible toilet would.

It is not over thinking it to say that Irish Rail should have toilets at every station!

Really a very simple solution to the issue.
    Since it will now be 4 coach and 8 coach fixed sets, there will be less space wasted on cabs and you can stand in between coaches so the net floor space will be bigger. You won't have the chunk of floor space in each coach for the exhaust either

I understand and that is great, but you are still giving up even more passenger space for a toilet that isn't necessary on such relatively short journeys and would be better handled with a toilet at the station.

It is not over thinking it to say that Irish Rail should have toilets at every station!

Really a very simple solution to the issue.

I understand and that is great, but you are still giving up even more passenger space for a toilet that isn't necessary on such relatively short journeys and would be better handled with a toilet at the station.

You really are, 2900 today have one toilet per 4 coach. There are every few 2900 where you couldn't board today and the new units should be slightly larger and offer greater frequency.

Toilets in stations will cost money to construct and maintain plus attract significant anti social behavior. A train will only require tanks to be opened once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Ireland trains

Or the best of both worlds where if there is 2 specs of trains,
    * short journeys (eg. Docklands-hazelhatch) with mainly standing room.
    * long distance commuting (eg longford,portlaiose and greystones-drogheda) with more, comfortable seats and toilets (not on 8 car sets).
    Of course it would add complexity.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You really are, 2900 today have one toilet per 4 coach. There are every few 2900 where you couldn't board today and the new units should be slightly larger and offer greater frequency.

Toilets in stations will cost money to construct and maintain plus attract significant anti social behavior. A train will only require tanks to be opened once a week.

29000 have one accessible *and* one non accessible per 4 car set. Non accessible still uses the space of 7 seats albeit provides a standing area in some of that space

The Dutch ended up retrofitting toilets to the sprinters after assuming they didn't need them.

Install those Japanese style auto-cleaning toilets that you pay to use. Like they have at some beaches around Dublin.

No construction needed, they clean themselves, minimum maintenance, anti-social behaviour not really possible and they pay for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Install those Japanese style auto-cleaning toilets that you pay to use. Like they have at some beaches around Dublin.

No construction needed, they clean themselves, minimum maintenance, anti-social behaviour not really possible and they pay for themselves.

if they accepted LEAP this wouldn't be a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I think that the paying for themselves thing is nonsense as they have been removed all over the place on cost grounds.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/flushed-away-the-superloo-where-no-one-wanted-to-go-1.754839

L1011 wrote: »
    29000 have one accessible *and* one non accessible per 4 car set. Non accessible still uses the space of 7 seats albeit provides a standing area in some of that space

The Dutch ended up retrofitting toilets to the sprinters after assuming they didn't need them.

Well these sets only need one so I cannot see IE prepared to provide two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

A toilet isn't going to make a drastic difference in the overall capacity. They should look into changing to side bench seating along the window and removing gangways. Reserve some space behind the driver cabs for wheelchairs, prams, bikes, expecting mothers ect.

Would it be possible and cost effective to install a driver operated wheelchair ramp obviously with some sort of communication point so the user can inform the driver they want to get off.

IE 222 wrote: »
    A toilet isn't going to make a drastic difference in the overall capacity. They should look into changing to side bench seating along the window and removing gangways. Reserve some space behind the driver cabs for wheelchairs, prams, bikes, expecting mothers ect.

Would it be possible and cost effective to install a driver operated wheelchair ramp obviously with some sort of communication point so the user can inform the driver they want to get off.

Not a drastic difference but it's not nessecary on short distance trains. By adding a toilet your removing wheelchair, bike and pram space.

Not a drastic difference but it's not nessecary on short distance trains. By adding a toilet your removing wheelchair, bike and pram space.

Current trains can cater for wheelchair, bikes, prams and even luggage as well as a toilet. Given the expansion of these services and the aim of spreading the service to a wider community will likely see longer journeys been made on these trains than your regular Dart hop. A toilet is not going to make much difference and should be seen as a benefit to encourage more people to use the service. As I mentioned better seating arrangements and removing gangways will create more space.

The extra frequencies and longer train lengths with 10 toilets per set would still provide more capacity to what's currently been offered.

They should also ensure sets can be increased or decreased in size should the need arise. It would be beneficial if 6 car sets can be made up by taking 2 cars off an 8 piece and added to a 4 piece.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The extra frequencies and longer train lengths with 10 toilets per set would still provide more capacity to what's currently been offered.

For a four car set on the longer new DART lines that replace 29k stock there might be an argument for a disabled toilet and a standard one for a four car set but that's about it if you ask me. Might not be in harm in having a uniform fleet for them to operate on other services though.
    They should also ensure sets can be increased or decreased in size should the need arise. It would be beneficial if 6 car sets can be made up by taking 2 cars off an 8 piece and added to a 4 piece.

Far too much trouble for that, especially in a battery operated train, the cost and hassle of doing this and the problems it would cause would not be worth it, best to go to 4 car units.

devnull wrote: »
    For a four car set on the longer new DART lines that replace 29k stock there might be an argument for a disabled toilet and a standard one for a four car set but that's about it if you ask me. Might not be in harm in having a uniform fleet for them to operate on other services though.

Far too much trouble for that, especially in a battery operated train, the cost and hassle of doing this and the problems it would cause would not be worth it, best to go to 4 car units.

Better off having a uniform fleet and should OHLE be extended in the future or the battery range allows for further reach it makes sense to have toilets installed.

These trains will serve the whole Dublin commuter and regional belt and should be able to cater for longer journeys by providing a toilet. A typical Dart commute is 20- 30 mins but once the upgrades are completed this will increase.

I think it would be worth exploring and paying a bit more for the option. It would be wise to have the ability to form anything from 4-10 car lengths in service. We are currently witnessing issues around capacity and flexibility is key especially on the commuter routes.

Reserve some space behind the driver cabs for wheelchairs, prams, bikes, expecting mothers ect.

I agree completely.

Irish Rails accessibility is pretty terrible IMO. A wheelchair user needs to call ahead 4 hours to use a train! Not good enough. Look at Germany where train drivers carry a ramp and use it when needed, much better.

And don't get me started about how often the rubbish lifts are broken and the complete lack of information. My back is still broken from having to carry a 2 year old + pram up and down the stairs in Clontarf because the lifts were out with no notification!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

Does anyone know why self opening ramps aren’t a thing on trains? They seem to work fine on buses...

Qrt wrote: »
    Does anyone know why self opening ramps aren’t a thing on trains? They seem to work fine on buses...

What if the person is paralysed from the neck down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

What if the person is paralysed from the neck down?

I mean driver-operated ones, like how a bus driver sees someone in a wheelchair and knows to deploy the ramp.

Advertisement