Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Contacting a 4th/5th cousin in US

• 07-03-2019 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

I have been researching my family for years, but have never before contacted any relatives except people who were already themselves doing research through online message boards etc.
    I have now traced a branch in the US, but they do not seem to be active on Ancestry etc. I have found a name, address and phone no. via Google, but no email address or social media contacts.
    In these circumstances would you phone or write? Has anyone got a "standard wording" for a letter to an unknown 4th cousin.? The family had association with military "special ops" so I don't want to become target for investigation!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I would write a polite letter saying you've been tracing your family tree, outlining the connection and asking them to get in touch if they're interested.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I think a well written letter is the way to go.

Keep it simple - introduce yourself, give some background, and ask for one or two specifics.
    Also include a chart to help illustrate the matter to those less au fait with genealogy.

I've done so several times and it generally garners a positive response.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hammy007

Hermy wrote: »
    I think a well written letter is the way to go.

Keep it simple - introduce yourself, give some background, and ask for one or two specifics.
    Also include a chart to help illustrate the matter to those less au fait with genealogy.

I've done so several times and it generally garners a positive response.

Completely agree with this- I wrote to a distant relative regarding a DNA test which was a big ask considering they didn't know me (I was trying to prove a male line, and they were the only living descendants I could find to compare to). I included some info about who I am, and included family charts showing how we were related. I ended up getting a positive response and they agreed to do the test (line was confirmed!), so I definitely agree that a well written letter is probably the best approach.

Advertisement