Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric, Hydrogen & Hybrid Electric Buses in Ireland

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's actually the most stupidest thing I've yet to see come out.

We were all trained and can understand if someone needs that bit longer to sit or get up or just have issues or special needs....

I've probably offended someone saying that but I actually find it as a dig and condescending and making me as a driver out to be simple.

How have people got on until now?????

Yeah, I really don't get it. If someone is slow getting their change out or getting to their seat or whatever, what is the driver going to do different when they flash their JAM card. They are hardly roaring at people without the card to hurry the fúck up and if they are then that is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yeah, I really don't get it. If someone is slow getting their change out or getting to their seat or whatever, what is the driver going to do different when they flash their JAM card. They are hardly roaring at people without the card to hurry the fúck up and if they are then that is the problem.

Another thing may I add is the people that say would need more time wouldn't even show their free travel pass so how will this change that....

I cringe looking at that photo.....

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Muller1991

I agree with you on how cringe it is, Just a further note to the actual tweet, I gather it will be simple enough to show a bus driver the card etc but how does a luas driver or Train/Dart driver see it ? Passengers are hardly gonna tap the window at them are they ?

Stupidity of the N.T.A never ceases to amaze me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Well it's probably easier than making buses work like the luas ( kerbs at the same height as the bus door ,better stops ,driver just worrying about driving not revenue ... )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd suspect it's just picked because it's the newest available and not read anything else in to it, getting back to the original question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Muller1991 wrote: »
    Stupidity of the N.T.A never ceases to amaze me.

The JAM card is not an NTA initiative.

Personally I don't see any issue with it and welcome it, the JAM card is designed with the user in mind, not the operator, it helps break down social/communication barriers and whilst as pointed out drivers will already know when someone may need extra time the user may not have the situation awareness or cognitive ability to realise the driver is already on their page, it gives the user a peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

thomasj wrote: »
    Sorry for dragging up an old subject but.....

https://twitter.com/TFIupdates/status/1214192470160027649?s=09

Should we read into the fact that for this mornings JAM card PR they used one of the AH buses?

I think the JAM card photos in the Tweet were taken the same time the AHs were delivered and photographed for promotional purposes so may aswell use the same bus.

GM228 wrote: »

Personally I don't see any issue with it and welcome it, the JAM card is designed with the user in mind, not the operator, it helps break down social/communication barriers and whilst as pointed out drivers will already know when someone may need extra time the user may not have the situation awareness or cognitive ability to realise the driver is already on their page, it gives the user a peace of mind.

If they're that bad they won't show it as I said exactly the same as they don't tag on or show their pass as it is...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

GM228 wrote: »

They probably used the newest, nearest vehicle that they could find and with the vehicles being environmentally friendly it's probably a good choice as well what with the Governments climate program.

I'm surprised that it's took until 2020 however for something like this to come out here, since despite the fact that the company behind it claims it's their great big innovation, it's actually seemingly based on an idea that has been promoted by the bus industry in the UK since 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not really been following the thread but curious about the hybrid buses mentioned. How many are already in service and planned to be in service?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not really been following the thread but curious about the hybrid buses mentioned. How many are already in service and planned to be in service?

9, 3x3 types on trial. Well I think they're bought not demonstrators but it is to evaluate both whether they do save fuel and looking at non-Volvo chassis.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

The AH's are lovely, so smooth compared to the others on trial. Have more room in seats due to the lower window frame height also, which means you can lean into them when both seats are occupied. Of course, this means NTA will probably just buy more of the awful Wright bodied buses instead!

The AH's are lovely, so smooth compared to the others on trial. Have more room in seats due to the lower window frame height also, which means you can lean into them when both seats are occupied. Of course, this means NTA will probably just buy more of the awful Wright bodied buses instead!

The SG is the most uncomfortable bus I've ever been a passenger on and driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ITV2

the SG400's with the new seat isnt too bad, and the engine software makes it a smooth drive.

ITV2 wrote: »
    the SG400's with the new seat isnt too bad, and the engine software makes it a smooth drive.

Have yet to see new seat in a 400.... High 500s 600 have the fancy seats.

Seen them now in a couple of the very low 1st batch ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

The AX bench seats are miles more uncomfortable than the SG bucket type seat.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

donvito99 wrote: »

Both seats are poor in my eyes, there are much better seats on offer such as the ones used on the initial Bus Eireann VWDs, even the lower spec ones used on recent Bus Eireann VWDs and the Dublin Bus AHs are better, even if the colour scheme of the interior is awful on the later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭VG31

donvito99 wrote: »

The legroom is also much better in the GTS and SGs.

I prefer the bucket type seats as it means people sitting at the window have to sit right in, they can't sit in the middle and spread out.

VG31 wrote: »
    The legroom is also much better in the GTS and SGs.

I prefer the bucket type seats as it means people sitting at the window have to sit right in, they can't sit in the middle and spread out.

I have no choice but to spread, knees do be in bits getting out...

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

I'm 6'5 and 16 stone. I've no option other than to spread over in the poxy bucket seats. Luckily, I don't get a seat in the morning and evening commute anyway! Spent this mornings standing room only/sardine tin journey being repeatedly hit in the chest by the inconsiderate person in front of me's backpack!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Creative Master Northcord have announced that AH1 from Dublin Bus will be getting made as a diecast model. The production date for it is late June 2020.
    From British Models Buses website:

UKBUS1500 Range

NMC will relaunch the model based on the casting of the Alexander ALX400 – bodied Dennis Trident opentop in 2020.

UKBUS1501 – megasightseeing.com (18496 – LX06AHC)

UKBUS1502 – Stagecoach North West “the White Lady” (17012 – S812BWC)

The pre-production samples of both items for checking are in the course of being prepared with an anticipated production slot being available during early April 2020.

UKBUS6500 Range

UKBUS6516 – Stagecoach South Gold (10770 – SN66VYR): production is scheduled for completion by early January 2020.

UKBUS0063 – Ensign Bus (132 – YX66WLH): production is scheduled for completion by the end of January 2020.

UKBUS6519 – Stagecoach Oxford Gold (10786 – SN66VZH): production is scheduled for completion by early March 2020.

UKBUS6520 – Stagecoach South 700 Coastliner (10942 – SN18KNF): pre-production samples for checking are in the course of being prepared with an anticipated production slot being available during early June 2020.

KBUS6521 – Xplore Dundee (6695 – SK68MBO) pre-production samples for checking are in the course of being prepared with an anticipated production slot being available during early May 2020.

IEBUS0005 – Dublin Bus (AH1 – 191-D-44403) pre-production samples for checking are in the course of being prepared with an anticipated production slot being available during late June 2020.

UKBUS6524 – Stagecoach North West 555 Lakes Connection (10555 – SN16ONX): pre-production samples for checking are in the course of being prepared with an anticipated production slot being available during early July 2020.

UKBUS6526 – National Express West Midlands (6937 – SK68MJE) pre-production samples for checking are in the course of being prepared with an anticipated production slot being available during early August 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Alexander Dennis Facebook page just announced that they’ve signed a framework agreement with the NTA to provide up to 600 Enviro 400ER hybrid buses, with an initial 100 due by autumn 2020. Seems like the AH won out
    see here

• Registered Users Posts: 17,834 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I assume these hybrid buses use regenerative breaking?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I assume these hybrid buses use regenerative breaking?

Most Hybrids do yes. The 400ER mentioned above certainly does.
    p_haugh wrote: »
    Alexander Dennis Facebook page just announced that they’ve signed a framework agreement with the NTA to provide up to 600 Enviro 400ER hybrid buses, with an initial 100 due by autumn 2020. Seems like the AH won out
    see here

The 400ER, that is great news, that is a top of the range modern Hybrid.

It has a relatively large 32kWh battery, that compares to just 2kWh battery that traditional hybrid buses use and is more then the original Nissan Leaf full EV car had (24kWh).

This means that the bus can actually run in pure EV mode for a few km and that this can be controlled by GPS. So for instance, they could set these up so that they only run in pure EV mode when in the city center. A great feature.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Also interesting that they mention that they are 11m long, that is longer then the existing SG class (I think 10.5m). So maybe a small bit more room for passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

bk wrote: »
    Also interesting that they mention that they are 11m long, that is longer then the existing SG class (I think 10.5m). So maybe a small bit more room for passengers.

Yeah it had me wondering might they be a replacement for the VTs?

thomasj wrote: »
    Yeah it had me wondering might they be a replacement for the VTs?

Well the VT's are 12m, so not quiet a direct replacement. Plus they say 100 ordered for this year and possibly 600 over the next 5 years, so that sounds more like a replacement for the normal dual axle buses.

Having said that with the extra length, there might be less pressure for a direct VT replacement. These buses on the same route, with slightly more frequency, might be a decent enough replacement.

Prioritise these on to cross city routes and the emissions concern about Parliament Street from the college green plaza plan goes away

L1011 wrote: »
    Prioritise these on to cross city routes and the emissions concern about Parliament Street from the college green plaza plan goes away

Yep, I was thinking exactly the same. I'm guessing it was a major motivator for this choice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Buses bought.

Alexander Dennis got the contract, 100 Enviro400Er Battery/Diesel buses in the first tranche, up to the full 600. Glad that they went with an established bus already, no point trialing out new tech on our streets, we can't afford for anything to go wrong.

See here.

Advertisement