Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Part Time Masters in Business/Managment

• 16-04-2011 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I got a 1st in my Engineering degree a few years back and I have been lucky enough that my employer has offered to support me going back to school part time so to speak. My manager then went on to recommend I do something with a more business slant than engineering.

My question is what is out there? I live in Donegal, but travel a lot for work and spend most weekends in Dublin so I would need it to be mostly distance learning.

I was looking at the Msc in Ops Management from DCU via Oscail and the Master in Management from Smurfit. These 2 courses seem to fit my requirements well but are they any good?

Any feedback/suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Crisco10

PS: i posted this in parttime and distance forum as well but this seems forum seems to get more traffic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cormach

Hi Crisco,

I am in the process of putting through an application for the MSc in Mops through Oscail-DCU. I'm also lucky enough to be getting sponsored by my employer, our director travelled with me to meet the course co-ordinator last week and we were impressed with the course content and how it would suit the company, my professional development etc.

Just wondering if you ended up going with Smurfit or DCU and if so, why?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Hey

I went with smurfit, after doing some research online I saw lots of mixed reviews about oscail and their support system once you start.

Also, I was more confident of the 'name' that smurfit has if I were to ever leave my current company. Seems to be working, got new job based partly on my partially completed course. Just started 2nd year of mim and though it has its imperfections it is a good course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Hi Crisco - just wondering what the workload is like in the course? thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Hi Crisco - just wondering what the workload is like in the course? thanks!

It depends. To be honest, there are people not doing that much work and will probably squeeze a pass out. But if you want to get honours, its more of a slog. In first year I reckon on average I was putting in 12-15 hours a week on top of my day job..

That ramped up significantly coming up to exam time too, I started taking days off here and there to "blitz" assignments too...

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭clayton1

cormach wrote: »
    Hi Crisco,

I am in the process of putting through an application for the MSc in Mops through Oscail-DCU. I'm also lucky enough to be getting sponsored by my employer, our director travelled with me to meet the course co-ordinator last week and we were impressed with the course content and how it would suit the company, my professional development etc.

Just wondering if you ended up going with Smurfit or DCU and if so, why?

Thanks.

Hi there

did you do the MOP course in the end? i am thinking of applying and would like more info. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭clayton1

thinking of doing the distance ed MOP course in DCU. anyone else do it ??

Advertisement