View Poll Results: Going camping this year?
Yes 26 18.98%
No 101 73.72%
Already been. 10 7.30%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

10-06-2021, 16:01   #46
fits

Love camping especially wild camping. We are considering going camping down the fields here over summer. Don’t think I’d be bothered with a proper campsite in ireland anyway. Although the one in Cahirciveen is fantastic.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-06-2021, 16:04   #47
downtheroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgj2015 View Post
It's a sense of freedom you don't get with other holidays.
It's a sense of ****ting in a bucket in a cupboard you don't get with other holidays... in England... with your parents!
(2) thanks from:
10-06-2021, 16:05   #48
Celmullet

My father would take us camping a lot growing up. I detested it then and detest it now. I'll take my hotel room with hot water and a functioning toilet.
Thanks from:
10-06-2021, 17:29   #49
mariaalice

A place in Mayo was advertising camping pitches, they have a water tap nothing else no electricity or a hard stand but was what was making me laugh was you have to bring your own portable loo, imagine bringing a portable loo along with a tent and then having to bring it home with you to dispose of its contents.

I bet you it's booked out as well.
10-06-2021, 17:40   #50
Speedline

Wild camping up the mountains with the lads. Plenty of drink and smokage. Permission is generally granted as the other halves know there's no women up there to be chasing, unlike other lads weekends. And they stay home too as there's nowhere to plug anything in.

We go camping at Silverstone too for the motogp. Power in the tent, heating, mini fridge, shower and toilet blocks, entertainment, its like a 5 star hotel compared to the side of a mountain.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-06-2021, 17:58   #51
simongurnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubbquittious View Post
Yep. They go to Lidl and load the thing up with food till the flaps are scraping the road and cruise up to Denmark to board the MS Norrona.
Ah cool. Never knew about that. Might be a trip to consider some day
Thanks from:
10-06-2021, 18:21   #52
whisky_galore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaalice View Post
A place in Mayo was advertising camping pitches, they have a water tap nothing else no electricity or a hard stand but was what was making me laugh was you have to bring your own portable loo, imagine bringing a portable loo along with a tent and then having to bring it home with you to dispose of its contents.

I bet you it's booked out as well.
I bet this half arsed campsite isn't cheap either.
Trust Paddy to ride the hole off a money making opportunity.
10-06-2021, 18:27   #53
shesty

We live in North County Dublin...local beach towns here are overrun with camper vans since the 5km lifted.There are a large number of visitors, compared to the usual.Parking in public parking on the side of the street.Beaches are very crowded on the weekends now.
Camping holds absolutely no appeal for me but I can see plenty of people are obviously getting in to it this year.
Thanks from:
10-06-2021, 18:31   #54
brainboru1104

Hmm, I love sharing a tiny dwelling with billions of spiders.
Advertisement
10-06-2021, 18:40   #55
Strumms

No, not for me... did it as a kid multiple times with the scouts and with my friends too and never saw any appeal... didn’t enjoy it all that much...weather didn’t help.

The only work and inconvenience that should be involved in a holiday is packing your case...

Enough stresses and inconvenience in life that when it’s time to go on holiday I’m insisting on comfort, luxury, that I’m brought there, brought back and with minimum effort, that somebody else cooks my food, serves my drinks and makes my bed....I can shower and piss without using a river / hole in ground.

I’d stay at home before camping....
(3) thanks from:
10-06-2021, 22:18   #56
pgj2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtheroad View Post
It's a sense of ****ting in a bucket in a cupboard you don't get with other holidays... in England... with your parents!

Its just funny how you never get any girls around here, yet away on caravan club, you are like some sort of Gypsy Russell Brand.
11-06-2021, 08:26   #57
kenmc

New tent arriving between 10.21 and 11.21 according to DPD text. Yippee!
Thanks from:
11-06-2021, 19:16   #58
Ubbquittious

Quote:
Originally Posted by simongurnick View Post
Ah cool. Never knew about that. Might be a trip to consider some day

Not a bad idea I was often tempted myself but it was always too expensive. The fare has come down a bit recently I think
11-06-2021, 20:19   #59
SineadSpears

One person has mentioned going camping in France as a kid, but has anyone else in the last few years? Or maybe Italy?

I could possibly be swayed to consider trying camping again if it were somewhere with decent weather
11-06-2021, 20:45   #60
theguzman

Camping and Ireland does not compute for me, pouring rain and getting eaten alive by midges, no thanks. A campervan would give you more freedom but then your cooped up inside most of the day in it also.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion