View Poll Results: Going camping this year?
Yes 26 18.98%
No 101 73.72%
Already been. 10 7.30%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

10-06-2021, 11:10   #31
Ubbquittious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabnabs View Post
Poor Wicklow is destroyed with abandoned tents, fire pits still smouldering after everyone has gone home and literal bags of rubbish left behind.

The sooner Benidorm is back on the menu the better.

Any good tents being left behind?
Advertisement
10-06-2021, 11:15   #32
Badly Drunk Boy

I've usually only camped when there was music involved: 13 Electric Picnics, 2 Liss Ards, and an Oxegen. Does that count?

And in sixth class in Primary school, our teacher brought us camping in Sligo for some reason (dropping in to Knock on the way home to Kildare).

There was also one drunken night on Inishmore in the late 90s, I think. That was grand but I'd never really consider just going somewhere to camp.
Thanks from:
10-06-2021, 11:22   #33
TefalBrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBC08 View Post
I mean really....
There should be a separate area for these degenerates.
Santa del sh1thole?

Electric Picnic?
10-06-2021, 11:27   #34
$hifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubbquittious View Post
For years me and my group of chums were the only ones into it.........
The only thing worse than bandwagon-jumpers is those who look to gatekeep stuff for themselves.
Thanks from:
10-06-2021, 12:01   #35
Balmed Out

Started 6 years ago when eldest started walking amd thought that the first 2 years were a lot easier and cheaper to book pitches etc. 4 years ago busier and a massive explosion in popularity 3 years ago.
Its enjoyable but if it weren't for the kids i dont think id go.
Advertisement
10-06-2021, 12:35   #36
JustAThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmed Out View Post
Started 6 years ago when eldest started walking amd thought that the first 2 years were a lot easier and cheaper to book pitches etc. 4 years ago busier and a massive explosion in popularity 3 years ago.
Its enjoyable but if it weren't for the kids i dont think id go.
I see a few people camping during the covid - fancy cars, high cost gear - my first thought was camping AWAY from their wives & children!
10-06-2021, 12:44   #37
BobMc

find the facilities at the actual pitch limited here. Camped tons as late teens early 20s in Ontario, its great camping, Provincial state parks with each pitch has parking for usually 2 cars, an area for tent pitching, picnic table, fire pits and an, next pitch might be 50 metres away or more, some might be bit tighter but usually good seperation with natural foiliage or trees, not up on top of you, patrolled too day and night by rangers so no OTT messing

Charcoal stand BBQ, usually in fantastic forest or riverside or lakeside,

here its field with tents and a shower block

I'll pass
(2) thanks from:
10-06-2021, 12:54   #38
Ubbquittious

Quote:
Originally Posted by $hifty View Post
The only thing worse than bandwagon-jumpers is those who look to gatekeep stuff for themselves.

Just as well I wasn't doing that so
10-06-2021, 13:17   #39
global23214124

Went camping for music festivals in Ireland and Belgium. Our tent in Oxegen got flooded the first night so we all had to cramp into another tent. Found it impossible to get to sleep for long in any shape of tent so dont think it's for me.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-06-2021, 14:52   #40
silliussoddius

Quote:
Originally Posted by biko View Post
It's good people go camping. Help the local economy.
Do they, is it not the case that before people go camping that they'd buy their provisions in their own locality and have no need to when they end up in their destination?
I've heard that complaint levelled against people in camper vans.
10-06-2021, 15:26   #41
Ubbquittious

Quote:
Originally Posted by silliussoddius View Post
Do they, is it not the case that before people go camping that they'd buy their provisions in their own locality and have no need to when they end up in their destination?
I've heard that complaint levelled against people in camper vans.

They say that about Germans who bring their camper to places like Iceland that are ferociously expensive to buy food in. I cant imagine many travelling within Ireland would bother
Thanks from:
10-06-2021, 15:37   #42
spaceHopper

Before kids I used to surf almost every weekend, to the point my parents rang me to check if I was alive they hadn't seen me in weeks. Between car camping and a camper van I've hit so many beaches had a fantastic time and just chilled out. Ireland is the bizz for this if you do it right.

Taking the kids tent camping for the first time in the hills this weekend with another kids and their Dad. I'm expecting careenage and mayhem but hopefully they will enjoy it. I want them to enjoy it but not to much so that they want to do it all the time.
10-06-2021, 15:37   #43
simongurnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
find the facilities at the actual pitch limited here. Camped tons as late teens early 20s in Ontario, its great camping, Provincial state parks with each pitch has parking for usually 2 cars, an area for tent pitching, picnic table, fire pits and an, next pitch might be 50 metres away or more, some might be bit tighter but usually good seperation with natural foiliage or trees, not up on top of you, patrolled too day and night by rangers so no OTT messing

Charcoal stand BBQ, usually in fantastic forest or riverside or lakeside,

here its field with tents and a shower block

I'll pass
I live in Ontario and go camping all summer. Have "advanced" from tent, to pop tent trailer to a new trailer this year (which I am still waiting to pick up).
Camping is second nature though. Great sites, deep in the woods and on lakes with lots of facilities and decent weather.
Ireland in the wind and pissing rain, I'm not so sure...but there is a lovely trailer site out in Roundstone which is a beauty spot.
Also, went to France on a kind of packaged camping holiday as a kid. Had these "tents" that were more like cabins with three rooms. Decent set up
(2) thanks from:
10-06-2021, 15:54   #44
simongurnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubbquittious View Post
They say that about Germans who bring their camper to places like Iceland that are ferociously expensive to buy food in. I cant imagine many travelling within Ireland would bother
Germans bringing Camper vans to Iceland???
Thanks from:
10-06-2021, 15:57   #45
Ubbquittious

Quote:
Originally Posted by simongurnick View Post
Germans bringing Camper vans to Iceland???

Yep. They go to Lidl and load the thing up with food till the flaps are scraping the road and cruise up to Denmark to board the MS Norrona.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion