09-06-2021, 19:23   #241
Hamachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post
I won't have a problem, after more than a decade of tolerating Irish people.
Good man. Don’t let that door hit you on the arse on your way out..
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-06-2021, 21:21   #242
zom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSAman View Post
MOst small towns outside of Large Metropolitan Areas. /.../
The well paid job is one that I created for me and my staff. It requires hard work. I have worked at it for over 20 years.
I could not agree more and I'm saying it not just for myself but all humankind - urban concentration is one of the worst factors of modern civilization. But concentration is a fact and for some reason it naturally makes companies and people to aggregate in bigger and bigger numbers. I would love to find a way to reverse this process and get people out of metropolitan areas. Great it works for you but do you have any idea how to make it working for the others?

Quote:
The Economist's latest world ranking of world cities for livability has 6 New Zealand and Australian cities in the top ten. Dublin's ranking is 51st. Nice to see one's own assessments vindicated.
Dublin 51 from 22 according to thejournal. But it is like all Europe fall down significantly not just Dublin / Ireland. EU definitely is not working well anymore...
https://pages.eiu.com/rs/753-RIQ-438...ree-report.pdf

Last edited by zom; 09-06-2021 at 21:27.
09-06-2021, 21:24   #243
Chris_5339762

Quote:
The Economist's latest world ranking of world cities for livability has 6 New Zealand and Australian cities in the top ten. Dublin's ranking is 51st. Nice to see one's own assessments vindicated.

That list is a misnomer... its heavily skewed by COVID and Auckland/Australian-cities are good, but got a massive boost as they are basically open while the rest of the world is closed.
09-06-2021, 21:49   #244
cnocbui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5339762 View Post
That list is a misnomer... its heavily skewed by COVID and Auckland/Australian-cities are good, but got a massive boost as they are basically open while the rest of the world is closed.
In 2016, Melbourne topped the same list and Auckland was eighth. In that year, there were 3 Australian and One New Zealand city in the top 10, so compared to 2016, those two countries have only gained two cities in the top ten, so it's not all because of the pandemic.
Thanks from:
10-06-2021, 02:47   #245
NSAman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zom View Post
I could not agree more and I'm saying it not just for myself but all humankind - urban concentration is one of the worst factors of modern civilization. But concentration is a fact and for some reason it naturally makes companies and people to aggregate in bigger and bigger numbers. I would love to find a way to reverse this process and get people out of metropolitan areas. Great it works for you but do you have any idea how to make it working for the others?
You make it work for yourself. It is a choice.

Today you have the chance to change working practices. We have been doing it for years. VoIP, Internet, computers allow working basically anywhere. If your job does not involve having to be in one physical location, why would you not move?

People make any organisation work. Are the best people in any one location? No! Hence we have staff working from offices, their homes, in various countries and locations. It works for us and through staff wants and needs, people are happy. Obviously, a staff involvement in a company (financially) also make people interested in their work.

Why would I stay in a city paying 70k a month in rent when I can buy a building outside, gut it, re-design it, and re-build it into something that we can enjoy as a main office in the US? It’s not difficult to do, it requires people who can see the difference it makes to their lives and people with a Vision to make life easier for all. Less commute time, less stress, more time with family and in my mind a much better quality of life. Obviously, it is not for everyone.

Yes We have an office in Ireland also. We employ people in Ireland also.

The problem for me setting this up, was the lack of vision within Ireland. Hence America, investors were easier to find here. Ireland was a closed shop as I didn’t have the connections, the family name and investors who are looking for a guaranteed investment. America had and still has investors looking for something different. It has a can do attitude (I know that is a cliche but for me it has been a reality).

It’s not easy anywhere to make a business a success. It requires luck, an idea, hard work, great people and people who support you, thankfully so far that has worked.

As this thread is about emigration, my own two cents is anyone thinking of doing it, should actually give it a go. What have you got to loose? At the worst you will never end up wondering… what if
Advertisement
10-06-2021, 03:29   #246
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_5339762 View Post
I'm in Wellington, which is 4th in the world on that list, pretty much solely by virtue of being the 2nd city in New Zealand. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice place, but in a normal non-Covid world, there's no way it gets near the top 10. There has been a huge increase in homelessness and petty crime/assaults around the city centre in the past year due to the housing crisis. It's a cool city to live in if you're relatively affluent, but its compact size makes the problems hard to ignore on a day to day basis.

4th is based on the fact that normal life has been in session here pretty much undisturbed for the past year.
(2) thanks from:
10-06-2021, 22:11   #247
zweton

Valencia could be a runner...looks lovely
11-06-2021, 00:22   #248
Mules

I'm too old to emigrate. There are thing about Irish society I really don't like but I'm settled here and there's good and bad everywhere so I suppose I'll just get on with things.
Thanks from:
11-06-2021, 09:08   #249
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mules View Post
I'm too old to emigrate. There are thing about Irish society I really don't like but I'm settled here and there's good and bad everywhere so I suppose I'll just get on with things.
Why are you too old to emigrate?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-06-2021, 11:09   #250
Wompa1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamachi View Post
It also depends on work ethic, intellectual horse power, and ability to get on with people. Many Irish people have these attributes in spades and do very well in the US. Have seen my own colleagues fly up the corporate ladder over there.
BS. The saying is pull yourself up by your bootstraps because it's impossible. How many executives are black or Hispanic? The ceiling is right about middle management.
11-06-2021, 11:10   #251
Wompa1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSAman View Post
Why don't I give you my address as well???
No need. Zip code is enough and with the US Zip code system it wouldn't give away your address. Put up or shut up.
11-06-2021, 11:13   #252
Hamachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wompa1 View Post
BS. The saying is pull yourself up by your bootstraps because it's impossible. How many executives are black or Hispanic? The ceiling is right about middle management.
Satya Nadella, Sundar Pichai, Shantanu Narayan are middle management? Presumably they also benefit from privilege?
Thanks from:
11-06-2021, 11:14   #253
Hamachi

Quote:
No need. Zip code is enough and with the US Zip code system it wouldn't give away your address. Put up or shut up.
You’re coming across as a serious oddball demanding somebody’s zip code. Perhaps you should take your own advice and shut up..
Thanks from:
11-06-2021, 11:21   #254
Wompa1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamachi View Post
You’re coming across as a serious oddball demanding somebody’s zip code. Perhaps you should take your own advice and shut up..
What is the risk? I can give you some of the zip codes I lived in. It's not like an Eir Code, it's not tied to a single house. It's very easy to prove the crime rate where he lives because as I said, the US keeps very good records.
11-06-2021, 11:22   #255
klaz

Quote:
Depends on how many companies are created and operated by Blacks or Hispanics. If you look at areas where Blacks and Hispanics dominate the local population, you'll find a greater amount of those racial groups in those positions.

When a nation has a predominate population, especially in states where those companies are established, there is going to be a difference in Whites Vs other racial groups. How many whites are in upper management in Mexico, Brazil, or other places which do have a significant non-native racial population?

Yes, in the US, there are barriers to Blacks and Hispanics, many of which are due to racial considerations, and perceptions/biases, however, in others, the issues do come down to education, ambition, interest, etc... of which Irish migrants going to the US tend to have. Then again, there are many Irish migrants who never make it out of the Subway Restaurant, serving sandwiches for 20 years. Do you care about them?

The US, like any nation, has a lot of scope for "upward" mobility for those willing to self-develop, gain the required education, and do the grunt work, getting the recognition before reaching the upper positions.
(4) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion