25-05-2021, 20:55   #1
BenDover2020

emigration

So, when all this is over and the country is on its knees (again) and we're expected to pay higher taxes and save the day (again) and with no real chance of owning our own home due to Gov policy from the last time. what are peoples plans?

For me it just feels like there is nothing for us here now due to complete miss management and a horrible unlevel playing field with all the news of the vulture funds recently. This country is rotten to the core and it will only get worse. My options are probably Canada or New Zealand as I have some friends over there from the last mass emigration.

So what are everyones plans?
Advertisement
25-05-2021, 21:02   #2
YFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDover2020 View Post
So, when all this is over and the country is on its knees (again) and we're expected to pay higher taxes and save the day (again) and with no real chance of owning our own home due to Gov policy from the last time. what are peoples plans?

For me it just feels like there is nothing for us here now due to complete miss management and a horrible unlevel playing field with all the news of the vulture funds recently. This country is rotten to the core and it will only get worse. My options are probably Canada or New Zealand as I have some friends over there from the last mass emigration.

Newstalk mentioned a couple of weeks ago that younger population us financially worse off than the older.
(3) thanks from:
25-05-2021, 21:08   #3
Pauliedragon

Maybe back to OZ for me but from talking to people there It's not the peaches and roses that media here are reporting although much better than here. NZ could be an option. I'll give it time and see.
25-05-2021, 21:19   #4
BenDover2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by YFlyer View Post
Newstalk mentioned a couple of weeks ago that younger population us financially worse off than the older.
Certainly feels that way with the odds stacked against the youth. Its hard to believe this is all Gov policy that has caused this. They should be ashamed of themselves
(2) thanks from:
25-05-2021, 21:20   #5
YFlyer

Quote:
Certainly feels that way with the odds stacked against the youth. Its hard to believe this is all Gov policy that has caused this. They should be ashamed of themselves
Was sad listening.
Advertisement
25-05-2021, 21:27   #6
KungPao

Have a mortgage with a nice balance to pay off, so ain’t going anywhere. Luckily I have a secure job, so does the wife.

So I’ll be sticking it out, and paying more taxes while beer in the offie costs more, gas bill costs more, every bloody thing costs more.
Thanks from:
25-05-2021, 21:28   #7
SEPT 23 1989

It’s always been rotten to the core but it’s not a bad country to live in either
25-05-2021, 21:37   #8
BenDover2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEPT 23 1989 View Post
It’s always been rotten to the core but it’s not a bad country to live in either
It's a relatively safe country, i'll give you that but it's by no means " not a bad country to live in" It's a kip, but a safe kip
25-05-2021, 21:45   #9
Exceltrup

Quote:

I never understood how people can talk about Irelands housimg crisis, and in the same breath talk about New Zealand (average house price in Aukland $1.1 million) and Canada ( average house price in Vancouver $1.3 million.)
Advertisement
25-05-2021, 21:47   #10
Timmyr

Quote:

I'm in NZ and it's a great country, but home ownership here is way more expensive than Ireland
Plus, borders will likely be closed for the foreseeable future and even when they do open there are very strict immigration policies being introduced
(3) thanks from:
25-05-2021, 21:47   #11
BenDover2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exceltrup View Post

I never understood how people can talk about Irelands housimg crisis, and in the same breath talk about New Zealand (average house price in Aukland $1.1 million) and Canada ( average house price in Vancouver $1.3 million.)
Who said anything about Aukland or Vancouver?
25-05-2021, 21:49   #12
Murph85

Once we keep the long term welfare class here, who cares!
25-05-2021, 21:52   #13
Exceltrup

Quote:
Who said anything about Aukland or Vancouver?
Ok, I'll bite! Average house prices are as follows:
NZ: $800,000
Canada: $716,000
Ireland: $407,000 (CAD) $467,000 (NZD)
25-05-2021, 21:59   #14
BenDover2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exceltrup View Post
Ok, I'll bite! Average house prices are as follows:
NZ: $800,000
Canada: $716,000
Ireland: $407,000 (CAD) $467,000 (NZD)
Bite???? get a grip pal.
I won't be buying, I'll be renting in a much better country than this kip and hopefully have a much better standard of living. Wages are much higher also.

If you're so happy with this place please tell me why?
(2) thanks from:
25-05-2021, 22:06   #15
Exceltrup

Quote:
Bite???? get a grip pal.
I won't be buying, I'll be renting in a much better country than this kip and hopefully have a much better standard of living. Wages are much higher also.

If you're so happy with this place please tell me why?
Renting in a much better country than.this "kip" as you call it. New Zealand and Canada both have infamously high rents, and lower median salaries than Ireland. Also worth noting that the homeless rate per 10,000 is higher in both countries.

Ireland isn't without its problems, but I've lived in the US, Canada and Paris, and frankly people don't know how good we have it.

What makes you think New Zealand or Canada is the land of milk and honey?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion