Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a House in Crumlin / Drimagh

• 11-12-2020 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi All,

There have been a few threads on this but I couldn't see any recent ones, apologies if I missed them though.

I am looking at buying a house and while I would ideally like Walkinstown/Kimmage I think Drimnagh/Crumlin are more in my price range.

I know just from walking around the areas that there is a real mix. I was just wondering if there are any roads/areas that I should try and avoid? I am a young woman and buying on my own. I would ideally like to be able to walk down to the shop at like10pm and not have anything to worry about, which I'm sure is the vast majority of those areas.

It has been suggested to me to avoid Benmadigan/Benbulbin areas of Drimnagh and also between Downpatrick Road and Lismore Road in Crumlin.

I would really appreciate any insight from people who live or have lived recently in the area.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

From my experience; very broadly speaking, the Western and South Western areas of Drimnagh would be the best ones. So anything past Sperrin Road and near the Children's Hospital are good.

There are some good roads in other parts, for example Keeper Road. But generally speaking, the ones you mentioned as well as places adjacent to Brickfield would be the more colourful areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭Alkers

We're on the main road near the hospital for the last four years without issue, very happy.

Aside from ruling out entire streets or whatever from observations, I'd recommend going for your walk around the areas your looking at now at 10pm or whatever. The busier roads with bus stops etc you won't have any issues. There are the odd groups of teenagers about who are mostly harmless but hang around at parks, cul de sacs etc so just keep this in mind when looking at houses.

Also, don't be afraid to have a chat with the neighbours to a house your looking at before submitting a bid. You can learn a lot in a couple of minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,962 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Currently in the process of flying the nest to move to Drimnagh, about half way up Cooley Road.

I only live down the road off Donore Ave so would fly up every couple of evenings and nights, weekends during the day and night... never seen anything that would put me off. Spoke to the neighbour when we had a bid in and got all the suss. There definitely are roads to avoid - you'll know by the slightly cheaper price.

We were initially looking at Crumlin & Walkinstown but like yourself were priced out of those markets for decent sized 3 bed...
    Alkers wrote: »
    We're on the main road near the hospital for the last four years without issue, very happy.

Could be a new neighbour of ours depending how far you're up the road! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Everytime I'm near the hospital I think this would be a great little place to live

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

If only the residents would plant a few plants, trees or some sort of vegetation. Both Crumlin and Driminagh can be so bleak and grey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Note that some of the houses are 80-100 years old and will need work. Crumlin Shopping Centre seems to only have the Dunnes Stores, nothing else. Ashleaf Shopping Centre is better, but has limited choice. SuperValu in Kimmage and Walkinstown, Lidl on Walkinstown Avenue.

I have some friends on Galtymore Road. The following is over a 10-year period.
    * One of their neighbours was arrested for dealing.
    * I had some verbal abuse from some younger teenagers on Crumlin Road. It felt quaint.
    * One incident of stone throwing on Kildare Road.
    * The back of Drimnagh Church seems to be a haunt for addicts.
    * Younger teenagers sometimes joyride (not driving it) on the Luas. Noisy, somewhat abusive.
    * Woman was getting intimidated by older teenagers on the Luas.
    * My friend experienced teenagers firing fireworks at people on Sundrive Road.
    * Some areas have broken glass on roads and green spaces.
    * Randomised parking, including on paths.
    Everytime I'm near the hospital I think this would be a great little place to live
    Realise that the hospital will likely see some form of redevelopment in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Victor wrote: »
    Note that some of the houses are 80-100 years old and will need work. Crumlin Shopping Centre seems to only have the Dunnes Stores, nothing else. Ashleaf Shopping Centre is better, but has limited choice. SuperValu in Kimmage and Walkinstown, Lidl on Walkinstown Avenue.

* I had some verbal abuse from some younger teenagers on Crumlin Road. It felt quaint.
    * Younger teenagers sometimes joyride (not driving it) on the Luas. Noisy, somewhat abusive.

Realise that the hospital will likely see some form of redevelopment in the coming years.

As will the Crumlin shopping centre.

Look, I'm biased but I've lived in lower Crumlin on and off throughout my life. I'd much prefer here to Drimnagh. I'd recommend Clogher Road and the surrounding area, maybe avoiding Rutland Avenue and Rutland Grove though both are way better than they used to be.

In the City within 20 minutes, cafes etc on the South Circular, Portobello, Rathmines.

A lot of people have moved into my area, lecturers, architects.

Always found the area around CHI/Our Lady's a bit barren myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Victor wrote: »

This kind of sounds like most areas in Dublin apart from the really wealthy parts really. Grand but some annoying kids sometimes and the odd police incident with some addicts knocking around. Home sweet home.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kav_Piero

The likes of Brandon Road, Comeragh Road, Errigal Road, and Mangerton Road would be considered quiet parts of Drimnagh, lot of older people living still living on these roads and they just have a more settled atmosphere about them. Nice pubs and takeaways not too far from these roads either, the only pub I’d avoid is the Black Forge unless your part of the Conor McGregor fan club.

From personal experience the likes of Benbulbin road, Lissadel and generally any other road around Brickfield park can be a little chaotic at times, the Marble Arch near the Luas stop wouldn’t be the greatest of pubs either.

Kav_Piero wrote: »
    The likes of Brandon Road, Comeragh Road, Errigal Road, and Mangerton Road would be considered quiet parts of Drimnagh, lot of older people living still living on these roads and they just have a more settled atmosphere about them. Nice pubs and takeaways not too far from these roads either, the only pub I’d avoid is the Black Forge unless your part of the Conor McGregor fan club.

From personal experience the likes of Benbulbin road, Lissadel and generally any other road around Brickfield park can be a little chaotic at times, the Marble Arch near the Luas stop wouldn’t be the greatest of pubs either.

McGregor has actually bought the black forge and done it up to the nines, opening as a gastro pub in the new year apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Alkers wrote: »
    McGregor has actually bought the black forge and done it up to the nines, opening as a gastro pub in the new year apparently

I'm sure he'll attract a better class of clientele...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This kind of sounds like most areas in Dublin apart from the really wealthy parts really.
    Note that I'm there maybe once a month, not living there.

Birneybau wrote: »

We'll see but it looks really nice inside from the videos I've seen

Birneybau wrote: »

Think that is what he is after - will definitely try it out when it opens tbh. Will have to have a mini pub crawl once I move up to Cooley Rd!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Think that is what he is after - will definitely try it out when it opens tbh. Will have to have a mini pub crawl once I move up to Cooley Rd!

Careful what you say about the Whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Kav_Piero wrote: »

I'm from over the other side of the Drimnagh Road and would very much echo this - although not been around much the last decade. I'd have had plenty of friends around that end of Drimnagh growing up and to this day it's the only bit I could confidently navigate around - it turns into a bit of a maze the further you venture East.

Ah what I'd give for a nice pint in the Halfway, it's been too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

Just adding a bump as I've been doing more research on reddit etc and all I can see are people saying Crunlin is grand "apart from a few areas". This is mostly what I knew/expected but if anyone has some advice on roads I should avoid that would be great. Anything to lessen the load of house searching!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

Hi Emma,

I bought in Crumlin in 2015 just off Clogher Road and would completely recommend this end.

However I would point out that teenagers\kids will tend to hover around cul de sacs and open spaces (such as the end of Leighlin Road coming up to the semi circle where the four roads pub is). They're all harmless though.

But as a caveat I have never ever felt unsafe around here, I lived with a female friend for a couple of years who also never felt unsafe even walking around at night (or home from town half cut).

Birchalls pub is lovely in normal times with open fires, pickles cafe on sundrive is great for a pretentious breakfast roll and the former superquinn supervalu has literally everything you could need.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Karlos77

I lived in Crumlin for a few years recently .there's a lot of nice people but a lot of bad eggs.with regards teenagers being harmless .one evening teenagers set my bin on fire on the green had to lock from then on in...fires on the greens all the time summer spring ...I seen a group of people doing cleanup and they are brilliant and I thought I should help them but decided not too ...the majority of the cleanup is scumbaggs from the area littering and burning in the area...

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

Karlos77 wrote: »
    I lived in Crumlin for a few years recently .there's a lot of nice people but a lot of bad eggs.with regards teenagers being harmless .one evening teenagers set my bin on fire on the green had to lock from then on in...fires on the greens all the time summer spring ...I seen a group of people doing cleanup and they are brilliant and I thought I should help them but decided not too ...the majority of the cleanup is scumbaggs from the area littering and burning in the area...

Whereabouts in Crumlin did you live ? I have never seen a bonfire since I moved in 5 years ago.

The crumlin Community clean up group is on Facebook and really are good eggs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Karlos77

Whereabouts in Crumlin did you live ? I have never seen a bonfire since I moved in 5 years ago.

The crumlin Community clean up group is on Facebook and really are good eggs!

I lived on kells rd...there is small and big bonfires regularly on bangor circle /clonmacnoise triangle /leighlin green...people just go throw a mattress or couch on the greens and people burn them ...or kidsjust go and burn peoples bins on the greens....go for a walk and see all the burnt marks on greens...or you can see it on google maps ...the crumlin community group are great but they are cleaning up after the burnt debris a lot of the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

I bought an apartment near Old County Glen in 2016. It's nice and quiet up here and the location is absolutely fantastic but the thing that gets me is the amount of rubbish left on the streets, full bin bags scattered all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

That is a problem around many areas though - I walk by dumped bags everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

A good indication of if there is a little community group or something going is little pockets of where they've tried to keep on top of the litter, stick some plants in etc. An example is where I am. Go over the bridge it's a **** hole but our side is alright thanks to some very dedicated volunteers that I don't help nearly enough.

I popped you a PM Emma2019, just before Christmas just in case you missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Lux23 wrote: »
    That is a problem around many areas though - I walk by dumped bags everyday.

I've lived in a decent amount amount of areas in Dublin. Born in Kingswood, Tallaght and since lived in Kilmainham, Drimnagh, Marino and Crumlin and I've never seen the amount of dumping as I do around here.

The lane between Old County Road and the Crumlin road can be so absolutely disgusting at times that I avoid it and go the long way round when walking over to Dunnes.

If you can deal with that OP then Crumlin (and Drimnagh) are decent places to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 scoochJ

Does anyone have any experience of living on or near Downpatrick road? Seems like a nice area with most houses well kept.

I know the Sundrive Rd end is quiet and settled, not 100% of the other end but assume it's similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

Going to jump in on this thread rather than start a new one.

We're starting to look at Crumlin as a possible option, around Clogher Road preferably.

I came across this opinion from 2006 while doing my research:

"bought a house 3.5 years ago at the corner of Sundrive and Clougher. Just at the Four Roads pub. I really couldn’t reccommend the area. I’ll be moving out in the very near future. We’re taking groups of kids aged from 4-10yrs and then, more worryingly, a gang of 14-16yrs old youths. They drink, sell drugs and generally hang-about causing trouble at the corner.

The house has been burgled, and attacked with bottles, and bricks. Kids constantly play football in my garden, and climb my extension to gain entry to my back garden. I have been verbally abused.

Since I’ve lived there my car has been vandalised (i dont have off street parking) many times; Ive replaced my front and side windows twice, side mirrors several times, scrapes of kids drawings all over the bonnet."

I'm wondering whether things have improved! I've heard that Eamonn Ceant Pk can be a bit rough in the evenings.

We're going to head up over the next few weeks to scope it out but any opinions would be welcome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

I lived beside Eamon Ceant Park for a few years. I probably wouldn't be happy having to walk through it after dark but I wouldnt walk through any park in Dublin after dark if it could be avoided. I never noticed any issues with it really in the day or evening time.

I wasn't living on Clogher road but not too far and never noticed any issues around there either. The red brick houses are lovely too.

Advertisement