Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardaí: Provo Army Council oversees PIRA & SF

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

What's the big story that needs hiding? Weeks of recycled SF crap day in day out with No reporting of other stories , how bad is the Coronavirus outbreak really?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Why should we forget about murders and killings though just because those murders were carried out by SF's terrorist wing?

We wouldn't let a lone murderer away with it / or forget their crimes.

Why should we in this case? Particularly when so many innocent people died at the hands of the IRA.

Because you need to allow people a chance to move on. Were you concerned when Proinsias De Rossa went into government? An ex IRA member? How about Frank Aiken - certainly had blood on his hands as a senior IRA commander - but made an excellent International statesman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

deflect / deflect / whatabout / in the past / move on / deflect / whatabout

ad nauseum......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Why should we forget about murders and killings though just because those murders were carried out by SF's terrorist wing?

We wouldn't let a lone murderer away with it / or forget their crimes.

Why should we in this case? Particularly when so many innocent people died at the hands of the IRA.

How far back do you want to go, should we stop dealing with Germany because of Angela Merkels links to the Stasi?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Boggles wrote: »
    No. I think the plan is to throw shít at Sinn Fein, they seem to be running out of shít if they are asking in 2020 about a report from 2015.

Again, like I stated the second election has started, FF and FG have to do a bit time wasting next week, but it's on.

503490.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,509 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

so basically people involved in the provos have now turned to politics - big deal
    The chief constable of the PSNI has said the Provisional IRA still exists, but is committed to politics and is not on a war footing

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-northern-ireland-34038394/pira-still-exists-says-psni-chief

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Had an online dispute with a then SF councillor, now TD. He tried to get my businesses shut down.

Had an online dispute with his director of elections before the last election - he called to my parents house the next day to make sure that I got some SF election material... "make sure X gets that". My elderly parents were petrified.

The reason why more people don't stand up to SF is because they don't want to be intimidated.

Look at what happens to people who have arguments with republicans in the north - Robert McCartney for example... and none of the people in the pub that night happened to see anything, many of them were new members of SF,

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/unsolved-murder-casts-a-shadow-over-belfast-s-new-mayor-1.3525899

Does this all make sense to you, honestly? Why don't SF do as well in every other election or the relatively recent locals?
    What I think FF/FG might be taught again, as they refuse to learn it, is that the electorate have numerous reasons for wanting rid of them and IRA bogeymen have f*** all to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

maccored wrote: »
    so basically people involved in the provos have now turned to politics - big deal

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-northern-ireland-34038394/pira-still-exists-says-psni-chief

So basically, a terrorist group, whose members murdered innocent civilians and whose members have gotten away with it now want a say in how our country is run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Not all that long ago since Fianna Fáil had IRA figures in their ranks after the war of independence and civil war . Maybe they should go the whole hog now and join with a Fine Gael ....both seem to be happy with a divided island and a divided society of their Rich friends and the rest of the country .

• Advertisement

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    He wasn’t asked about any report, he was asked what the official position that the Gardaí took regarding SF/IRA/Provisional Army Council.

He was asked the other day did he agree with the report published 5 years ago and it's headlines today.
    The people will decide if they care less or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

So basically, a terrorist group, whose members murdered innocent civilians and whose members have gotten away with it now want a say in how our country is run.

Your buddies the British army murdered plenty of innocent civilians too but it doesn’t seem to bother you too much ....

• Registered Users Posts: 66,832 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Varadkar has used this statement as a way to troll Mary Lou McDonald personally on Twitter.

Has he learned nothing from this campaign? The guys sense of judgement is completely off the scale.

You may say this jokingly but there would most likely be an element of truth in it.
    Would you be ok with Pearce Doherty if he was minister for finance asking for the ok from the army council on how to spend tax payers money like was the case with the cash for ash deal up North?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/a1602f08-30b4-11ea-9703-eea0cae3f0de

This isn't speculation, this is proof that Sinn Fein need to consult the army council before making decisions.

Don't misunderstand. I'm asking if SF and the IRA are one, then they were elected in and wouldn't be illegal in regards to the posters 'treason' query.
    I've no doubt people who were or are, (if you like) in the IRA have a say in SF policy. I believe that's always been the case.
    You have to put it in perspective, agree or not, some people felt the IRA was needed at a time and is now signed up to peace. SF are a democratic party who the Irish people gave many seats to. These are all common knowledge points in my view.
    The scaremongering is pathetic quite frankly and long may it continue. I think most are tired of it and the rest are pretending it's a bigger revelation than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

So a Garda Commissioner gives a political view that badmouths 1 party without a shred of evidence, is this the first time a garda commissioner has given a view that interferes with democratic process. I hope he is as quick to say what he knows on the Dublin/Monaghan bombing.
    As an MI5 agent, I am not surprised that he hates SF and increases the view that he should not been appointed to his current role. Thats what you get when employ a British waster. He makes Nora O'Sullivan look credible.
    At least we know what the soundbite will be for a while. Be great if has to resign:)

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I'm sure there are alot of decent people elected for sinn féin by decent people who voted for them. Judging by the way people left the organisation over the last number of years or were forced out we will see more of this. It's harder to control a larger group with big expectations. The army council should no longer exist in any form. 25 years on from the peace process, Gerry Adams and Martin ferris might b gone from the Dáil but they haven't gone away. I expect after the honeymoon period to see cracks appearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

dabestman1 wrote: »
    So a Garda Commissioner gives a political view that badmouths 1 party without a shred of evidence,

Lol some people

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Bowie wrote: »
    Does this all make sense to you, honestly? Why don't SF do as well in every other election or the relatively recent locals?
    What I think FF/FG might be taught again, as they refuse to learn it, is that the electorate have numerous reasons for wanting rid of them and IRA bogeymen have f*** all to do with it.

It has a lot to do with it for me and many others who did NOT vote SF. All SF's slipping and sliding irritates people.
    Grand people say politicians talk with both sides of thier mouths in general. But it takes a special kind of policition to talk from both sides of thier mouth when it comes to euphemisms such as 'legacy issues' of SF republicanism.

SF get away with so much stuff that people almost forget about it. Exceptions are made for them ah sure that is just SF and they can go away sneering. Any time I see David Culinane in the media now for example. All I hear in my head is 'up the 'ra'! :mad:
    These are elected politicians who people voted for, I think it takes a special kind of cognitive dissonance and/or ignorance to do so, in this day and age.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Asks a reasonable question

https://mobile.twitter.com/LeoVaradkar

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Here's the thing for me, and I know most people sadly don't give a damn about it.

I want legislators that were DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED by the people of Ireland in power. That gives them a mandate, doesn't matter whether I voted that way or not.

How can we trust anything Sinn Fein do when they are governed by people not elected by non-Sinn Fein members.

For example, what if the Gardai want to bug a prominent Sinn Fein member's phone with good cause?

Can we trust that a SF Minister for Justice would sign off on this?

If the answer is no, then we should simply not vote for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

Gatling wrote: »
    Lol some people
    an MI5 agent too:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

If any other party had links to a paramilitary organisation then questions would rightfully be asked.

But because it’s SF we are expected to ignore this, or else it’s framed as being a hatchet job on them.

This is the top man in the Gardaí saying this.

Not a normal party.
    Remember Charlie Haughey of FF. Gunrunning was one of his more famous pastimes. ;)

ERT4QXbXUAAky5S?format=jpg&name=medium

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

Bowie wrote: »
    Don't misunderstand. I'm asking if SF and the IRA are one, then they were elected in and wouldn't be illegal in regards to the posters 'treason' query.
    I've no doubt people who were or are, (if you like) in the IRA have a say in SF policy. I believe that's always been the case.
    You have to put it in perspective, agree or not, some people felt the IRA was needed at a time and is now signed up to peace. SF are a democratic party who the Irish people gave many seats to. These are all common knowledge points in my view.
    The scaremongering is pathetic quite frankly and long may it continue. I think most are tired of it and the rest are pretending it's a bigger revelation than it is.

I don't think saying they are one would be the right way to put it. They are definitely linked though.
    For me their past is a lesser issue than their present. I would not be happy with the Sinn Fein having to consult the army council on matters such as approval on how to spend taxpayers money.
    It may be common knowledge that they have links to the IRA but I don't think their voters know (or possibly care) how much involvement the army council have in the high level decisions that would be made by Sinn Fein in they were in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Another SF/IRA story, the powers that be must be really shi**ng themselves. Another election would be spicy meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,832 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Boggles wrote: »
    ERT4QXbXUAAky5S?format=jpg&name=medium

:D

From the same report.

“Our assessment indicates that a primary focus of the Provisional IRA is now promoting a peaceful, political republican agenda.''

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Sinn Fein are a political party and will serve in the dail according to our constitution. In the next election if they're not doing a good job they can be voted out of office. As it stands I can't see a situation of Sinn Fein ever been in power unless part of a coalition so will never have full control.
    Whether for good or bad a large number of people supported Sinn Fein policies and gave them a mandate. That's democracy, even when you don't like it you have to accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

go away with the waffle. people who were at war have now put themselves into non violent political means. nothing new there and its not something thats unique to ireland. old news being rehashed

From the same report.

“Our assessment indicates that a primary focus of the Provisional IRA is now promoting a peaceful, political republican agenda.''

He was basically asked did he agree with a report he was involved in drafting in 2015.

Tough question. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

2 things:

1. I can't stand SF, I do view them as a very cloak-and-dagger, military style politicial entity. For me there is no question that they still take their orders from dark unelected figures in the background and I will never consider them for a vote.

2. There is undoubtedly an agenda based media campaign against them, which can go one way or the other. I'm not a fan of media agendas, they tend to be highly biased and often promote complete rubbish as 'fact' (eg the gender pay myth).

But then again, people are entitled to their views and if I was a journalist tasked with giving my view on SF, it wouldn't be too flattering either!!

Advertisement