Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí: Provo Army Council oversees PIRA & SF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

There seems to be no whataboutery in it. The 'ra are still there. It is not just Drew Harris that said it. The Gardai have said it. Brendan Howlin has said it recently.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/ourview/a-new-reality-faces-the-north--southern-hypocrisy-exposed-973925.html

The IMC said in 2008 that though the IRA had disbanded the IRA army council had not dissolved.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2008/sep/03/northernireland.ireland

Also Bhishop Daly spoke of Adams deviousness and untrustworthiness

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/gerry-adams-was-at-most-no-3-on-ira-army-council-said-priest-1.3333574

Maria Cahill has constantly spoken of the IRA hierarchy in SF

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/16/rape-victim-mairia-cahill-speaks-out

I suppose all of these individuals and independent bodies are all wrong or liars on the issue?

I think we're in complete agreement?

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

C'mon lets re-run the election

Let us back into the polling booths :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Boggles wrote: »
    If these threads continue, it's a fúcking shoe in I reckon.

This site is a total irrelevancy when it comes to any sort of political influence. Doesn’t matter a curse.

Should this story have been ignored by the media? Should Harris have kept his mouth shut?
    Should the media and intelligence services just turn a blind eye to the suggestion that a party wanting to lead a government is influenced by a paramilitary criminal organisation?

Doesn’t sound like a great sort of change to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    From today’s Irish Times: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/harris-agrees-with-psni-that-army-council-still-oversees-both-sinn-féin-and-ira-1.4180689

So that’s the official stance of An Gardai, the PSNI, and the UK government.

I wonder how people feel about our government being potentially overseen by the Provisional IRA Army Council.

All the experts agree that, as Gerry Adams put it, “they haven’t gone away you know”.

I'm okay with it anyway, probably for the same reason I'm okay with the British Intelligence service running our police force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

There is a very strong possibility that SF will be in power in the not too distant future, this needs to be discussed.

Sure. SF have connection to people who were in the IRA. The IRA was a terrorist group that stood down and signed up to peace. SF have set out policies and ran in a democratic election. I don't see what you think might happen? The IRA will become active and start undoing the work of SF? Buying Wolfe Tones albums will become mandatory?
    Despite the insulting propaganda everyone who voted SF/SF/Green/PBP knew who they were voting for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I got this far and gave up reading these 'revelations'! :pac:
    In a 2015 report commissioned by the British government on the status of Irish terrorist groups, and which was written by the PSNI and MI5,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Bowie wrote: »
    Sure. SF have connection to people who were in the IRA. The IRA was a terrorist group that stood down and signed up to peace. SF have set out policies and ran in a democratic election. I don't see what you think might happen? The IRA will become active and start undoing the work of SF? Buying Wolfe Tones albums will become mandatory?

Worse.

All 'on hold' muzak will by law have to be Tommy Makem and the Clancy Bros.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

i wouldn't expect the guards to love the idea of sf in charge, but thats not to say they are wrong

but i find it interesting that you never hear a whisper of who might the people involved be?

is it really that tightly kept a secret?
    According to Mary Lou this council is chosen at the Sinn Féin conference that is streamed live each year. Funnily the countries government departments and political ppl wanted Sinn Féin all these years ago to come to the table to discuss peace and a democratic process. Now they've become the biggest party suddenly it is good enough anymore. The ppl will destroy all other parties given a second chance to vote again. The whole country can see through FF AND FG, Bull Crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

I got this far and gave up reading these 'revelations'! :pac:

I read it all for the comedy factor. Wasn't disappointed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,643 ✭✭✭storker

Phoebas wrote: »
    And they've just added Gerry Adams to their negotiating team.

Not a good move, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,466 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Should this story have been ignored by the media?

The story was created by the "media"

Why was Harris asked about a report from 2015?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Allinall

Bowie wrote: »
    Sure. SF have connection to people who were are in the IRA. The IRA was is a terrorist group that stood down and signed up to peace. SF have set out policies and ran in a democratic election. I don't see what you think might happen? The IRA will become stay active and start undoing the work of SF? Buying Wolfe Tones albums will become mandatory?
    Despite the insulting propaganda everyone who voted SF/SF/Green/PBP knew who they were voting for.

Just fixed that there for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the ff and fg supporters just need to get over the fact plenty of us voted for sf and want change, change which both ff and fg have refused to deliver.
    we are not stupid, we are not uneducated or any other slur thrown at us.
    it doesn't matter how much nonsense and mud is slung at sf, it will not change our vote.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

Allinall wrote: »
    Just fixed that there for you.

Incorrectly. The IRA didn't go along with the GFA? Are they just out of office?

TBF, the only story here is the media playing FG/FF's tune. It's a FF/FG created non-story. Bring more on. It can only help ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

the ff and fg supporters just need to get over the fact plenty of us voted for sf and want change, change which both ff and fg have refused to deliver.
    we are not stupid, we are not uneducated or any other slur thrown at us.
    it doesn't matter how much nonsense and mud is slung at sf, it will not change our vote.

So the PSNI, UK government, and the Gardai are all FF&FG voters?

Jaysus, I’ve heard it all now! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Making a statement like this after rather than before the election is further proof of the ongoing campaign by the traditional powers to try to keep sinn fein down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The irony of the SF sock-puppets defending MLM -an IRA sock-puppet.

Why was Harris asked about a report from 5 years ago?

• Bowie wrote: »

Jesus. How naive can you get?

The 'republican movement' is still a thing, and members of that movement still appear to be OK with resolving arguments by killing or torturing people, and perhaps more importantly when that happens the extended movement, including prominent Sinn Fein members, don't co-operate with the Gardai or the PSNI.

It isn't in the past, Google Jonathan Dowdall who despite Mary Lou's attempt's to claim otherwise was still a SF member when torturing a man and telling him he shouldn't have messed with the IRA - in 2015.

i don't know about you but if I had a fight with a member of young Fine Gael in the pub I wouldn't be watching my back. Can you say the same about a 'connected' member of SF/IRA? Really?

You might want a future in which extra-judicial killings go un-investigated and a political party with a private army of goons is in office. Just don't start bleating when one of your kids gets into a fight with the wrong person.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Making a statement like this after rather than before the election is further proof of the ongoing campaign by the traditional powers to try to keep sinn fein down.

Going to go out on a limb here and suggest that it might be better strategy, if the design is to keep SF down, to release this info before an election.

• Advertisement

alastair wrote: »
    Going to go out on a limb here and suggest that it might be better strategy, if the design is to keep SF down, to release this info before an election.

How do you know haven't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Not helpful to whom?

It is not helpful to FFFG. They need to sack their strategic advisers quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

quokula wrote: »
    I fear you might be correct that it's not helpful. As seen with Trump and Brexit, exposing truth and facts only helps in the narrative of wild conspiracy theories that the populists create. We increasingly live in a world where the only thing that matters is shouting the biggest lie the loudest, and Sinn Fein seem pretty adept at that.

Exactly what i was saying.

How do you know haven't?

It’s always before a future election, but the pertinent point is that there’s just been a flagged and actual election campaign. Then would have been better, if you wanted to harm SF’s vote.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    It is not helpful to FFFG. They need to sack their strategic advisers quickly.

They have been told by their own sneior members.

The campaign has been a fúckúng disaster,” said one senior party figure. “The D4 boys ran it again and it hasn’t worked. Blame nine years all you like, we made things difficult for ourselves.”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/a-fking-disaster-fine-gael-source-blasts-d4-boys-as-party-set-to-lose-15-seats-980300.html

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

Only five months about I made a quip on boards about the possibility of Ireland becoming Europe's Venezuela and was laughed at and told to get a grip.

Clearly the country is thankfully still miles away from such horror but wow, it has had its face turned in that direction in the last couple of weeks.

alastair wrote: »
    It’s always before a future election, but the pertinent point is that there’s just been a flagged and actual election campaign. Then would have been better, if you wanted to harm SF’s vote.

We are in an election campaign, make no mistake.

Paddy Power is gone from 5/2 to nearly evens that we are going to the polls again.

FF and FG will do a little silly optic time wasting dance next week, then it's back to the polls.

kevcos wrote: »
    Only five months about I made a quip on boards about the possibility of Ireland becoming Europe's Venezuela and was laughed at and told to get a grip.

Clearly the country is thankfully still miles away from such horror but wow, it has had its face turned in that direction in the last couple of weeks.

Hahahahahahaha.

Get a fúckíng grip will yeah.

We are in an election campaign, make no mistake.

Paddy Power is gone from 5/2 to nearly evens that we are going to the polls again.

FF and FG will do a little silly optic time wasting dance next week, then it's back to the polls.

Is it really your contention that this was held back for the possibility of a second election? That was the devious master plan?

• Advertisement

Jesus. How naive can you get?

The 'republican movement' is still a thing, and members of that movement still appear to be OK with resolving arguments by killing or torturing people, and perhaps more importantly when that happens the extended movement, including prominent Sinn Fein members, don't co-operate with the Gardai or the PSNI.

It isn't in the past, Google Jonathan Dowdall who despite Mary Lou's attempt's to claim otherwise was still a SF member when torturing a man and telling him he shouldn't have messed with the IRA - in 2015.

i don't know about you but if I had a fight with a member of young Fine Gael in the pub I wouldn't be watching my back. Can you say the same about a 'connected' member of SF/IRA? Really?

You might want a future in which extra-judicial killings go un-investigated and a political party with a private army of goons is in office. Just don't start bleating when one of your kids gets into a fight with the wrong person.

Naive how? You have to understand that the IRA was/is an illegal entity.
    Why on earth would anyone say, 'Yeah, I'm in that'?
    Of course it's still a thing as is the British occupation, so it makes sense right?
    Violence such as the killing of Lyra McKee was from people unhappy with the route taken in the GFA.
    The FG'er might be more likely to glass you in the face, or get his father to fire your father or get his pals to kick you to death outside a nightclub and likely get treated real nice by the courts.
    Of course I don't. I want an end to the privileged arrogance of the FF/FG party and every ignorant selfish inbred 'goon' who has either no knowledge or no care for the plight of the average tax payer. And if that's SF or who ever, bring it on.

Advertisement