Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Immigration authorities raid places of employment

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yesto24

The man was reported to immigration and had people show up, due to the colour of his skin. I might be a bit p*ssed off myself if that happened. I can't believe people are giving him sh*t over this.

Anyway. You'd be hard pressed to get your chicken balls and curry sauce delivered ever again if they really did crack down on illegals in places of employment.

Where was it mentioned it was down to the colour of his skin.
    Many ways to tell someone is not from Ireland.
    Now let me make this clear I am not saying that people are not abused due to their skin colour.
    I am saying in this case the woman reported this brown skin person (their words) to immigration because he spoke back and she would have done the same to a white person.

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    They were kitchen porters.

The average pay for a kp is €10.10. I paid more than 95% of employers.

And why is that the average pay?
    Because there are plenty of people to work at that rate.
    Less people the rate will go up.
    I know it will have knock on increase in the final cost but don't tell me importing a load of people into the country willing to work for that and less does not depress wages.

Anyway back on topic.
    Good to see actual enforcement of the law in this country.
    As mentioned already, hit the taxis in Dublin next that would be some fun watching that work its way through the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Long may the deportation of illegals in this country continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

yesto24 wrote: »
    I know it will have knock on increase in the final cost but don't tell me importing a load of people into the country willing to work for that and less does not depress wages.

Importing young relatively unskilled non English speakers who are under the impression they can work full time and earn enough to save, pay their bills and use Ireland as a base to travel around Europe is unfair on them just as much as it is unfair on the natives who will have to compete with them.

It’s a shambles of a system and huge numbers will overstay or work full time against the terms of their visas.
    Most are engaged in some form of employment in the State, typically in more informal job sectors such as restaurants and domestic work, and are living on very meagre incomes," the researchers found.

"Many have been with the same employer for several years and, interestingly, many pay income tax and PRSI through their employment."

Researchers found many undocumented obtained PPS numbers after arriving in Ireland on foreign student schemes which also allowed them to work and can last for up to seven years.

However, when the scheme ended they remained here and continued working, despite not being legally entitled to so.

The most common jobs worked by the undocumented included positions in the restaurant and catering industry (16.3pc); domestic work (7.2pc); cleaning and maintenance (4.1pc); shopping and retail (4pc); and manufacturing (3.2pc).

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/30000-foreign-nationals-living-here-illegally-29827536.html

There are sweet feck all NERA officers in the country. Less than fifty. I’ve only encountered one and I’ve been managing and operating hotels and bars for over a decade.

The system needs to be radically overhauled as it’s benefiting nobody but the colleges, the INIS who get the fees, landlords and employers looking for cheap and easily abused labour.

• Advertisement

Anyway back on topic.
    Good to see actual enforcement of the law in this country.
    As mentioned already, hit the taxis in Dublin next that would be some fun watching that work its way through the media.

They’ve already started cracking down on that industry too.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crackdown-on-illegal-immigrant-taxi-drivers-37191230.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda%C3%AD-target-foreign-taxi-drivers-on-licence-immigration-breaches-1.3816507

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The question is, will the 11 people given deportation orders actually end up deported?

Not a hope. They will be allowed spend the next 10 years appealing for free and then vanish when they eventually loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Importing young relatively unskilled non English speakers who are under the impression they can work full time ...
    How are they under that impression?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 25,658 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Doesn't matter what the wage rate is: we have almost full employment. There is not a pool of people looking for KP jobs no matter what the wage is.

I do hope all of ye who support this are also in favour of the USA deporting the so-called "undocumented" Irish, who are equally illegal.

Doesn't matter what the wage rate is: we have almost full employment. There is not a pool of people looking for KP jobs no matter what the wage is.

I do hope all of ye who support this are also in favour of the USA deporting the so-called "undocumented" Irish, who are equally illegal.

I absolutely am.
    I have mentioned it in previous posts.
    Why would you think we would not support deporting any illegal immigrant?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod

Moved to CA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

1) yes, it does matter what the wage levels are. Would you notice a difference if the minimum wage was 500 euro an hour? 50 cent an hour? I think you might see an affect all right.

2) yes, there is a pool of people looking for these student jobs. They are students. The clue is in the name "student visa". Unless you think Irish teenagers are all plodding into their professional executive roles each day. Which would make them not students.

3) I'm 100% okay with Irish people getting the boot out of other countries where they take the mickey. Do you think it's tit for tat or something? And how does one group of people in the United States equal everyone from planet earth coming here? If you were arguing a balance of illegal Americans, sure. How do you square that comparison?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

If you don't like the idea that Ireland is racist -
    then you should get angry with Irish racists
    - and not with brown people complaining about them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I absolutely am.
    I have mentioned it in previous posts.
    Why would you think we would not support deporting any illegal immigrant?

Because it's suits their point.

Considering the general response on boards to Keith Byrne among others getting deported from the US and all the chancers getting kicked out of Australia, I think most are fine with both

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

No, because to me it's proven on a daily basis. If you want to dismiss it as bull**** go ahead but doesn't mean it's not there.

You're free to leave.
    If you choose to stay all anyone wants to hear is that the Irish are the kindest most welcoming people in the world.

You would do well to remember that.

Esel wrote: »
    How are they under that impression?

They all seemed surprised when I explained that the terms of their visa explicitly state that they can only work twenty hours per week during term and full time during holidays.

Holiday periods have been standardised – June to September inclusive and from the 15th of December to the 15th of January. The rest of the year they must work no more than 20 hours.

I think it’s a combination of it not being made abundantly clear at the Irish embassy or consulate when applying for their visa, talk from previous student visa holders from their country and the impression that Ireland is more relaxed when compared to other European Union member states with regards this sort of thing.

Someone is giving them the “shure it’ll be grand” yarn anyway. I didn’t press on the issue as I was more concerned making sure that they would be alright in the end and there’s somethings I’d be best not knowing.

Only one still works with me and I know he’s working elsewhere in the city centre too. I have told him he’s going to have to make a decision as technically I’ve done nothing wrong up until the point but I’m aware from second hand talk that he’s also employed cash in hand.

If a nera inspector came in and found out I don’t know if I’d be liable or not. I’ve went through the correct procedures etc.

As I said, it’s a messy set up and I won’t hire one again as I don’t want to involve myself in this sort of thing or leave myself open.

You're free to leave.
    If you choose to stay all anyone wants to hear is that the Irish are the kindest most welcoming people in the world.

That’s a myth. The Irish are no more hospitable or inhospitable than the rest of the world.

I would say that it’s hard for migrants here to make friends with Irish people. We do tend to stick with the same clique we’ve been in with since school, sport clubs, growing up or college.

I worked abroad on a short term contract a few years ago. Over the Christmas period I was away from my young child and my wife. I was a bit down coming up to Christmas as I was working straight through and I couldn’t go home.

I had numerous offers from my coworker to attend Christmas dinner at their homes. I was shocked by that. I don’t think an Irish person would ever invite a foreign coworker around for Christmas so they don’t feel lonely.

It opened my eyes a bit. We aren’t as overly welcoming and open as we like to congratulate ourselves for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

You're free to leave.

What absolute bait this is, in fact the opposite is true.

You are free to complain or have a go, whatever you want because we live in a country that supports personal freedom and expression.

So if I were you I would stand up to each and every Irish person that offends you which will actually make the country a better place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Alastair will be along shortly to inform us that these people are not in an fact illegal immigrants who have been served deportation orders and went on the lamb

They are in fact a status known as 'pre-Irish' and the deportation orders are not valid legal documents as the person who signed them wasn't wearing a wizards hat while doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

He/she didn't dismiss your story, as I read it.

Rather dismissed the ridiculous conclusion you drew from the evidence you provided.

No ?

So let me make sure I have this right. You're 'splaining to a POC about racism that this POC has experienced and dismissing that racist experience. Did I miss anything there?

• Advertisement

Ah play me a song on the worlds smallest violin. Jesus wept, poor you. There are bullies all over the world in every country in every industry. You claim to have been picked on because of your colour, people get picked on for being fat, thin,tall, short any number of things. But I'm really tired of people playing the race card in this country. Don't like it, explore other options for working or living, but don't tar the people of this country as racist.

And there it is.

As an Irish white, cis, male can I point out that you're a racist?

coinop wrote: »
    The number of illegal migrants working in the taxi industry is staggering,

*citation needed*

N.B. A racist facebook page does not qualify as a reliable reference.

Orion wrote: »
    *citation needed*

N.B. A racist facebook page does not qualify as a reliable reference.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda%25C3%25AD-target-foreign-taxi-drivers-on-licence-immigration-breaches-1.3816507%3fmode=amp

Anyone who uses taxis semi-regularly in Dublin over the past 2-3 years will have noticed a marked uptick in South Asian drivers who a. Can't drive b. Don't have a clue where anything in Dublin is and c. Don't look anything like the photos on the dash of their cab.

I reported one a couple of years back. The guy couldn't pilot tricycle, never mind a Toyota Prius. He was a genuine danger to the public.

I'm looking to see where in an article from nearly a year ago it says that the number of illegal migrants working in the taxi industry is staggering.

Can you point it out to me? All I can see is that 90 Gardaí found 55 men in two years. Would I describe that as "staggering" - well .... no.

I do use taxis semi-regularly in Dublin. I find the foreign drivers to be very courteous and friendly. I've actually never had a problem with one. I have regularly had a problem with "local" drivers.

Ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Orion wrote: »
    I'm looking to see where in an article from nearly a year ago it says that the number of illegal migrants working in the taxi industry is staggering.

Can you point it out to me? All I can see is that 90 Gardaí found 55 men in two years. Would I describe that as "staggering" - well .... no.

I do use taxis semi-regularly in Dublin. I find the foreign drivers to be very courteous and friendly. I've actually never had a problem with one. I have regularly had a problem with "local" drivers.

Do you have a driving licence?

The reason I ask is because I would think that someone who didn't might not be as aware of the driver's ability or lack of it.

I have had experiences like the previous poster on a few recent occasions.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Absolutely, they can come back here and work legally.

The Irish aren't that hospitable.
    But all we want from foreigners is to be told that we are.

That’s a myth. The Irish are no more hospitable or inhospitable than the rest of the world.

I would say that it’s hard for migrants here to make friends with Irish people. We do tend to stick with the same clique we’ve been in with since school, sport clubs, growing up or college.

I worked abroad on a short term contract a few years ago. Over the Christmas period I was away from my young child and my wife. I was a bit down coming up to Christmas as I was working straight through and I couldn’t go home.

I had numerous offers from my coworker to attend Christmas dinner at their homes. I was shocked by that. I don’t think an Irish person would ever invite a foreign coworker around for Christmas so they don’t feel lonely.

It opened my eyes a bit. We aren’t as overly welcoming and open as we like to congratulate ourselves for.

What absolute bait this is, in fact the opposite is true.

You are free to complain or have a go, whatever you want because we live in a country that supports personal freedom and expression.

So if I were you I would stand up to each and every Irish person that offends you which will actually make the country a better place.

It's difficult to imagine worse advice.
    His kids might be able to express those complaints when thoroughly acculturated or whatever but foreigners should express only positive feelings about Ireland to Irish people .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Importing young relatively unskilled non English speakers who are under the impression they can work full time and earn enough to save, pay their bills and use Ireland as a base to travel around Europe is unfair on them just as much as it is unfair on the natives who will have to compete with them.

It’s a shambles of a system and huge numbers will overstay or work full time against the terms of their visas.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/30000-foreign-nationals-living-here-illegally-29827536.html

There are sweet feck all NERA officers in the country. Less than fifty. I’ve only encountered one and I’ve been managing and operating hotels and bars for over a decade.

The system needs to be radically overhauled as it’s benefiting nobody but the colleges, the INIS who get the fees, landlords and employers looking for cheap and easily abused labour.

Ignorance of the visa you are getting is no excuse.

Advertisement