Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So according to the Sindo,its an FF-FG-Green-Grand coalition then ?

• 16-02-2020 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

Was there not enough support for Sinn Féin and the vote left transfer left movement?

Let's face it the greens are not really a left party,so if this goes ahead,you have s centre led government for the next 5 years
    Plenty time to have a few hundred thousand extra houses built,an affordable child car plan in place,taxes reduced and the health service overhauled under Sláinte care

Interesting times indeed...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The problem with keeping SF to their natural environment of the opposition benches is that we'll never hear and end of it, old boys club conspiracy, #voteforchange, world's smallest violin etc etc

If SF actually got into government their cough would have been softened forevermore after they at very least failed to deliver the whackier parts of the manifesto and more than likely tanked the economy to some degree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Another blow for democracy if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

I for one welcome our new *nothing will ****ing change with bonus taxes on top* overlords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Was there not enough support for Sinn Féin and the vote left transfer left movement?

Let's face it the greens are not really a left party,so if this goes ahead,you have s centre led government for the next 5 years
    Plenty time to have a few hundred thousand extra houses built,an affordable child car plan in place,taxes reduced and the health service overhauled under Sláinte care

Interesting times indeed...

That is presuming no significant slowdown or recession in the intervening period

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

BanditLuke wrote: »

How so ? Sinn Fein did not get a majority in any capacity as much as they like to blow on about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

A great result. Three of the four biggest parties coming together to form a, hopefully, stable government.
    Shinners can now spend some time doing due diligence with their new TDs and the rest of the left can reassume their comfy, no responsibility lives in the Dáil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

All this would do is postpone the inevitable. SF’s share of the vote will increase while they are in opposition, with people saying a lack of democracy, despite democracy in action.

The problem with keeping SF to their natural environment of the opposition benches is that we'll never hear and end of it, old boys club conspiracy, #voteforchange, world's smallest violin etc etc

If SF actually got into government their cough would have been softened forevermore after they at very least failed to deliver the whackier parts of the manifesto and more than likely tanked the economy to some degree

Shouldn’t that be “old persons club”?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

we are dopes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I don't think you understand what democracy means when FF and FG hold twice as many seats as SF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

SF won't like this but it definitely suits them being able to moan from the side. If FFG+G do a bad job then SF get their chance rightfully next GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

How exactly, given that people voted for three parties in almost exactly the same numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

BanditLuke wrote:

How so? They didn't win enough seats to form a government. That's exactly what democracy is.

The fact that you don't like a particular result doesn't make it undemocratic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Oranage2 wrote: »
    SF won't like this but it definitely suits them being able to moan from the side. If FFG+G do a bad job then SF get their chance rightfully next GE.

This is SF’s ideal outcome.

They could not have delivered on any of the main points of their manifesto so will be delighted that they’re not in power.

SF are delighted at this no matter what they may say.

I'd hope it's a Francis Urquhart moment for all - "You might think so, I couldn't possibly comment"!

So nothing changes except with the addition of some new airy fairy taxes that the huggers will tack on. That was all as worthwhile as expected then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Shouldn’t that be “old persons club”?

the ladies didnt do too well in this election

This is SF’s ideal outcome.

They could not have delivered on any of the main points of their manifesto so will be delighted that they’re not in power.

SF are delighted at this no matter what they may say.

That’s of no use to any of us that work and weren’t born into money/property though.

Not at all..... This is what was voted for :D

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Well whoever it is, they are setting off on the best foundation of any government since 2007, with only the Brexit storm cloud hovering. I'd also say, and no disrespect to any other party, it would have a pretty sizeable pool of talent to dip into.

• Advertisement

That’s of no use to any of us that work and weren’t born into money/property though.

I work, wasn't born into money or property. I pay plenty tax and will be delighted if SF have no say on what's done with it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Uriel. wrote: »
    A great result. Three of the four biggest parties coming together to form a, hopefully, stable government.
    Shinners can now spend some time doing due diligence with their new TDs and the rest of the left can reassume their comfy, no responsibility lives in the Dáil.

This, 100 times this.

Sinn Fein and their supporters may kick and scream about it but a grand coalition actually IS change, like it or lump it.

Augeo wrote: »
    I work, wasn't born into money or property. I pay plenty tax and will be delighted if SF have no say on what's done with it.

They could have done less than what will be done with it now (nothing).

With the Green Party in its probably time for another generation of young people to start looking at visas and heading for the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭firemansam4

BanditLuke wrote:

FF, FG and GP got over 50 percent of the vote.

Can you explain how this is a blow for democracy?

Also SF have already tried looking at making up a left wing government but the numbers just are not there for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Augme

You'd have thought the greens would have learnt there lesson from the last time out. I can't see this being popular with their voters at all. I was one of them and I'd really struggle to vote for them again in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This could work in SF's favour.

We might have 4 or 5 years now of FF/FG/GP, and they will have to deliver tens of thousands of new homes and fix the trolley and hospital issues, otherwise it will simply push more people to SF in the next GE. Plus there is Brexit, a potential slow down which would also be a disaster.

So a few more years in opposition might be a blessing for SF. Unless of course the new government fixes things, and then FG/FF will be forgiven and maybe poll better next time round.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I didn't see anybody running up to go into coalition with SF.So the decision was taken out of their hands, basically.

Augme wrote: »
    You'd have thought the greens would have learnt there lesson from the last time out. I can't see this being popular with their voters at all. I was one of them and I'd really struggle to vote for them again in the next election.
    It all depends how it works out. If it's a C- or worse for The Greens then yes but both of the other two are supportive of some type of climate change plan so it shouldn't be 2007 all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Having FF in power again makes me nautious however policy wise this grand coalition would be the least worst option for me.
    On the flip side SF will become the undisputed main opposition party and that will give them a lot of strength going into the next election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Augme

is_that_so wrote: »
    It all depends how it works out. If it's a C- or worse for The Greens then yes but both of the other two are supportive of some type of climate change plan so it shouldn't be 2007 all over again.

Some type of climate change plan says it all though. If they get run over in government like they did last time it would be very foolish.

Advertisement