Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards GS 1st Outing - Portmarnock Links - 22nd February 2020 - 11am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

looks like a lot of new blood coming on board which is great to see alongside some of us old stalwarts at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Just wanted to put up a few pointers early enough for people to have a read beforehand. I know that this will be obvious to some and familiar to most, but no harm to list things up:
    • There will be a starter on the first tee, please be respectful, and follow their instruction. Be ready at the first tee 10 minutes ahead of your tee time
    • Take a bag of sand out with you. If you make a divot, don't replace the turf, fill the divot with the sand mix
    • The Society plays "Ready Golf". This means that you don't need to observe who has the honour on each tee box. If you're ready to hit, get up & do so. It keeps things flowing. Follow a similar approach across the whole course. If you're a yard ahead on the fairway, but you can play & your partner can't, go ahead & play your shot. We're a friendly (but competitive) society, not playing on the PGA Tour.
    • If in doubt, shout "FORE"
    • If in doubt, hit a provisional ball off the tee. Better to have a ball out there & not need it rather than hike back to the tee box/original spot
    • You have 3 minutes to find a lost ball from the time you arrive at the spot you believe it to be. For playing partners, if someone is searching and you're in a position to hit your ball, can you please hit first before helping your partners search. Again, this keeps things flowing
    • If you've scratched a hole, pick up the ball. Do not continue to play until you've holed out. It slows things down massively. For reference, once you've hit a net double-bogey, that's a scratch
    • For the "nearest the pin" hole, your first tee shot has to be on the green to be eligible. If you see 1 name on the sheet and they're closer than you, put down your measure, as if someone wins another prize, we will give 2nd closest the prize.
    • Similarly, for the "Longest Drive" hole, your first drive must be on the Fairway to qualify. If you're a touch short, and there's only one name on the board stick your name & how much further back you were from the leader & you may pick up the prize
    • Scores will be double-checked on the day, but we'd appreciate if you take your best care to get the points correct on the card you are marking for your partner. If you're not sure what you're doing, ask you're partners for a bit of guidance.
    • If you have a 2 on any hole, can you mark it clearly & legibly so its easy to track all 2s when the cards are being double-checked.
    • Finally, and most of all, enjoy yourself

I think I've covered most things, but if anyone has any other points, please feel free to post them

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

woodyg wrote: »
    time to start praying to all the weather gods

once Benny says nothing, we should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

willabur wrote: »

:D

From a bit of bad experience, this far out with them wind speeds. No point in the long term at this point

Wake up on the day and look out the window :D
    The old way.

Will be very windy and cold. Have under amour on at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭thelostboys23

Have to unfortunately drop out wife sick and off on a cert for rest of the week so best to drop out now rather than closer to event.

Apologies and will hope to get to March event in Royal Curragh.

Tee Time|Player 1|Player 2|Player 3|Player 4
    11:00|golfnut203|WGC|Break80|Iang87
    11:10|Scubapro|FixDePitchMark|Alanm|BigChap1759
    11:20|Kilth|jarrieta|Brian Rossiter|willabur
    11:30|Tigerwood1|Snackbox20|OS_Head|Golfhead65
    11:40|Kieran.|KevH1984|Rainbow Warrior|gypsy79
    11:50|A Post Punk|Benny79|Kingswood Rover|doublecross
    12:00|Ballyk|Slave1|Athlone99|Panic Stations
    12:10|Princess Poppy|Gmur1894|Ballyman|MorrisOriginal
    12:20|Seve OB|CharlieIRL|GolfGraffix|roadrunner
    12:30|The Big Easy|Paulos53|TimGolfer|woodyg
    12:40|spacecoyote|pakman|Lord Derpington|rossyd2005

Thanks for the note thelostboys, will see you in March.

Rossyd2005, you're in now. See you Saturday morning.

We still have a full timesheet. Updated version attached

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Snackbox20

Perfect tee time, thanks a million Space.
    Like everyone else, will be praying that the weather holds off, might even put out mams child of Prague Friday night 😆😆
    Did someone mention a practice area at portmarnock, are we allowed use that before playing or do we go to the nearby range?
    Can't wait to play now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Snackbox20 wrote: »
    Did someone mention a practice area at portmarnock, are we allowed use that before playing or do we go to the nearby range?
    Can't wait to play now.

There is a putting green. Short game practice area with bunkers. Also one or two nets

All available

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

Sad to miss this one, but I am still unable to swing a club. I have an appointment with a neurosurgeon tomorrow so here is to hoping he has a treatment plan that will get me back out on the course this year.

• Advertisement

Sad to miss this one, but I am still unable to swing a club. I have an appointment with a neurosurgeon tomorrow so here is to hoping he has a treatment plan that will get me back out on the course this year.

Good luck with it newindublin. Hope to see you back on the course soon

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Panic Stations

Looking forward to this!

Looks like a great course.

Just hoping the rain will hold off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Weather looks good for the day. Medium winds and should be dry.

Sunset is 5:40 so again can we please keep an eye on the pace of play.

We will be off the green tees.

If you want to see the course it’s included in the ClubNet app. On the home page there is a course guide with GPS and 3D Flybys

Weather looks good for the day. Medium winds and should be dry.

Sunset is 5:40 so again can we please keep an eye on the pace of play.

If you want to see the course it’s included in the ClubNet app. On the home page there is a course guide with GPS and 3D Flybys

App looks great GG

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

Wimps

Wimps

At least gives us a chance on the long drive against you poppy :D

Green tees , great stuff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's going to be wet, windy and cold. Plan for that, and anything better is a win :P

Looking forward to it now.

Green tees , great stuff.

Will be expecting at minimum 45 points from yourself off the forward tees Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭doublecross

My golf season is officially kicking off on Saturday, can't wait. Portmarnock is always in excellent condition.
    Don't think I've played 18 holes in 2 months. Least amount of winter golf I've played in years. Glad to hear we're off the greens, should make life a bit easier. Pace of play has improved the last few years but I've a feeling with 44 of us out, it might be an issue on Saturday. Can people please keep up with group in front, we can ask no more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

Too long spent looking for a ball and this

"If you've scratched a hole, pick up the ball. Do not continue to play until you've holed out. It slows things down massively. For reference, once you've hit a net double-bogey, that's a scratch"

If everyone picked up their ball when they are not going to score on a hole then the groups should move along nicely

Agreed Willabur & Doublecross.

Picking up for scratches
    Hitting provisional
    Adhering to max 3 minutes search time

All are key to keeping things moving

My provisionals tend to go to different sides of the course, so that one doesn't tend to help me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭recycled

Best of Luck...Space..

SATURDAY will become somewhat colder again with brisk westerly winds and passing showers, once again, some threat of wintry mixtures on higher ground. Morning lows near 4 C and afternoon highs 6 to 8 C.

Forecast from our resident weather man. Hopefully only brief showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

it's going to be baltic and windy

Will be expecting at minimum 45 points from yourself off the forward tees Pat

anyone breaking 30 will be great golf.

In saying that , wasnt there a few high 40s last time , or two years ago.

anyone breaking 30 will be great golf.

In saying that , wasnt there a few high 40s last time , or two years ago.

Was looking at last years thread & think GolfGraffix won the event with 39 points. Not sure which tees were used that day?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Was looking at last years thread & think GolfGraffix won the event with 39 points. Not sure which tees were used that day?

whites i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Quick Handicap related question. My gui handicap is active at 18 after being inactive for 8 months (the golf didn't improve anyway) so will i be off that on Saturday or will i be off 14?

Advertisement