Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Men's Work Dress Trousers - Cleaning

• 31-01-2020 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

While the option is there to bring suit trousers to the dry cleaners this takes time and comes at an expense how do you wash and press your suit trousers at home? Is there a particular material you look to buy and how do you press your trousers at home? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I would buy something you are prepared to dump if it goes wrong. Delicate detergent, delicate wash and put over thin damp cloth when ironing. It could go badly wrong, never use long hot cycles. Try to wash trousers as rarely as possible, often dirt can be dried and brushed of with a cleaning brush and then pressed lining up trousers carefully and using damp cloth.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kbacc

meeeeh wrote: »
    I would buy something you are prepared to dump if it goes wrong. Delicate detergent, delicate wash and put over thin damp cloth when ironing. It could go badly wrong, never use long hot cycles. Try to wash trousers as rarely as possible, often dirt can be dried and brushed of with a cleaning brush and then pressed lining up trousers carefully and using damp cloth.

Regarding the pressing do you mean to iron them with a damp cloth?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Take thin muslin cloth m, wet it and put it on the trousers and then you can iron over it and not directly on trouser fabric. Make sure trousers are laid out flat.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Get a trouser press

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

If the suit trousers say dry clean only, then only dry clean them.

• Advertisement

If the suit trousers say dry clean only, then only dry clean them.

What materials look good but are not dry clean only?

If I knew what was suitable I would look to get those in future.

kbacc wrote: »
    What materials look good but are not dry clean only?

If I knew what was suitable I would look to get those in future.

You're going to find it hard to get a machine-washable suit. You could try a cotton suit but it would crease terribly.

I mean, you could try these but I'm not sure what the quality is like:

https://www.marksandspencer.com/l/men/mens-suits/machine-washable-suits

I wouldn't be looking for the jacket as those really do need to go to the dry cleaners however trousers need to be cleaned a bit more often and it would be great to find a few pairs that could be washed at home.

kbacc wrote: »
    I wouldn't be looking for the jacket as those really do need to go to the dry cleaners however trousers need to be cleaned a bit more often and it would be great to find a few pairs that could be washed at home.

Be careful doing that, as the trousers will likely fade in the wash, the more you wash them, and then they'll be a different shade to your jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

M&S do wool mix trousers that are machine washable.

Alternatively, get a clothes steamer (I think lidl or aldi have one at the moment or coming up soon). I use that on my trousers to keep them fresh. They need to be drycleaned a lot less often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

YouTube is your friend for these type of questions

Advertisement