Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-02-2020, 23:37   #106
The_Kew_Tour

I was only young kid back then in 1997 at the Druids Glen driving range looking at Monty and Faldo but can honestly say never liked the 2 from that day on. Their behaviour was appalling, especially Monty, pity he beat Westwood that weekend.

Remember when Monty went into the water on 18 the year later and the crowd cheered? Was reason for that...
Advertisement
19-02-2020, 00:24   #107
Season 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kew_Tour View Post
I was only young kid back then in 1997 at the Druids Glen driving range looking at Monty and Faldo but can honestly say never liked the 2 from that day on. Their behaviour was appalling, especially Monty, pity he beat Westwood that weekend.

Remember when Monty went into the water on 18 the year later and the crowd cheered? Was reason for that...
What was their behaviour like?
26-02-2020, 08:32   #108
The_Kew_Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Season 2 View Post
What was their behaviour like?
Awful.

Both were just complete and utter snobs. I remember they're a Bunker Practise area on left of practise range and Faldo was practicing there. He was giving grieve to steward that they're no set of balls around area and that Faldo and caddie has drag balls with them. He embarrassed the young lad in front of people watching on. No need for it.

I have lost track of a amount of things Monty was complaining about on Range and on the course. Pity Westwood did not win that weekend.
26-02-2020, 08:52   #109
Potential Underachiever

Probably would be McIlroy tbh, it's irrational and I can't quite put my finger on why but I just cannot warm to him at all and will root against him when in contention.

Honorable mentions for Garcia (obv reasons) Holmes (slow play) Kuchar (caddie-gate)
(3) thanks from:
26-02-2020, 09:20   #110
Potential Underachiever

Paul McGinley and Ewen Murray are very very annoying as commentators.
Advertisement
26-02-2020, 10:06   #111
Mysterypunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential Underachiever View Post
Paul McGinley and Ewen Murray are very very annoying as commentators.
I was talking to a mate of mine at the weekend, and he made a good point about McGinley, that his standing in the game is vastly higher than his actual achievements in it. Also he pronounces tournaments over and crowns champions on Thursday and Friday. Its annoying as you would think he would know better. On the flip side, Rich Beem is a cool dude, and a major winner
26-02-2020, 10:21   #112
Rippeditup

Faldo gets an awful bad rap here... Back in the old Faldo series I got to meet him and play a few holes with him and he was a gent to all the juniors involved.. Still have an old Rextar ball he gave us.
Also he was very generous to a friend of mine who lost his brother when young and Faldo flew in to meet him in the hospital and sent over some merchandise from winning the Open one year to raffle off for a charity night for him.

I have to say Jordan Speith always annoys me, not sure what it is but do like to see him throw it away from time to time
(3) thanks from:
26-02-2020, 10:52   #113
FixdePitchmark

Quote:
Awful.

Both were just complete and utter snobs. I remember they're a Bunker Practise area on left of practise range and Faldo was practicing there. He was giving grieve to steward that they're no set of balls around area and that Faldo and caddie has drag balls with them. He embarrassed the young lad in front of people watching on. No need for it.

I have lost track of a amount of things Monty was complaining about on Range and on the course. Pity Westwood did not win that weekend.
Complete and utter God complex.

You can kinda understand how it happens, 5 star treatment, travel, resorts all the way. In them places it is like going back to the days of the Great British Empire with an almost , not even almost, but a servant type environment.

We have to accept, the scene that the top guys live in , has a risk of detaching them from the real world .

Someone was holding a towel up to keep sun off dechambeau practicing the other day.

Picture doing the rounds on Twitter.
(3) thanks from:
26-02-2020, 19:56   #114
Remind me

Matt Fitzpatrick - cheer the F*** up you grumpy little sh**e
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-02-2020, 21:35   #115
davegilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixdePitchmark View Post
Someone was holding a towel up to keep sun off dechambeau practicing the other day.
To be fair to Dechambeau on this - he was practicing his putting and the guy was holding the towel where his ball was so there weren't any shadows in his line.
26-02-2020, 21:52   #116
Season 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegilly View Post
To be fair to Dechambeau on this - he was practicing his putting and the guy was holding the towel where his ball was so there weren't any shadows in his line.
Yeah he practices with a laser and needed the towel so he could see the laser better.
Thanks from:
06-03-2020, 21:11   #117
valoren

It's a toss up between two tossers.

Montgomerie. Flicked through his autobiography which was released at the time of the 2010 RC. One of the pictures had him posing alongside a full scale oil portrait of himself he had commissioned in which he was notably slimmer and had a pensive stare off into the distance. A deeply narcissistic, egotistical arse hole with a horribly effective swing that needed absolute silence to execute at all times.

Darren Clarke. As others have pointed out he's a classic David Simms type ie playing the genial and jovial rascal when the cameras are trained on him but reverting back to being a base, rude and surly prick when out of contention and thus no cameras around. The way he threw McGinley under the bus during machinations for the Ryder Cup captaincy in 2014 was validation. "Oh, I see that the US have selected Tom Watson as captain? I think our side should also have a high profile major personality of similar stature as our captain unlike my (future former) friend Paul who although it is all but certain he is getting the gig having long paid his dues he is nowhere near well known enough as Watson is unlike Monty who is musing a return or.....quelle surprise...me. I'd be more than happy to throw my hat in the ring and try to shaft my friend for my own ambitions but when it is made abundantly clear to all and sundry that Paul is to be offered the role I will withdraw from consideration because, despite pretences, that's exactly the kind of asshole I am renowned for and which does nothing to enhance my likability".

Last edited by valoren; 07-03-2020 at 15:12.
07-03-2020, 19:27   #118
Running Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remind me View Post
Matt Fitzpatrick - cheer the F*** up you grumpy little sh**e
He still isn't in the same league as Tyler hatton and matt Wallace - those 2 Reed and Kuchar- a football from hell
08-03-2020, 21:35   #119
Southern Comfort

Quote:

Nobody cheered louder than I did that day. And I was delighted when David Carter beat him in the playoff.

I've been to a lot of tournaments and Montgomerie was definitely one of the most obnoxious human beings I ever encountered. The way he treated stewards, the public, camera men etc. was truly awful.

One of my favourite "sporting" moments came a few years ago. Sky Sports were covering a Major and the panel of 4 included Jack Nicklaus and Montgomerie. They were talking about golfing greats and at one stage Nicklaus said,
"To be remembered as a great golfer, you have to win a Major. Sorry Colin!"

The camera went straight to Montgomerie and his face was a picture!

Worth every penny of my Sky Sports subscription!
(5) thanks from:
08-03-2020, 21:49   #120
Tilikum17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Comfort View Post
Nobody cheered louder than I did that day. And I was delighted when David Carter beat him in the playoff.

I've been to a lot of tournaments and Montgomerie was definitely one of the most obnoxious human beings I ever encountered. The way he treated stewards, the public, camera men etc. was truly awful.

One of my favourite "sporting" moments came a few years ago. Sky Sports were covering a Major and the panel of 4 included Jack Nicklaus and Montgomerie. They were talking about golfing greats and at one stage Nicklaus said,
"To be remembered as a great golfer, you have to win a Major. Sorry Colin!"

The camera went straight to Montgomerie and his face was a picture!

Worth every penny of my Sky Sports subscription!
I was there that day. Monty said he’d never play in Ireland again. I met Ernie Els in the car park. No one else around at all. Back then he was my favourite golfer. What a day out.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion