Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin bikes demand!

• 11-01-2020 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi, I've recently started using Dublin bikes to get to work during the week and have been really frustrated when I go to the bike terminals in the morning Monday-Friday and there is a big queue of people waiting for a bike to be returned. Anyone else have the same issue? Does this happen at all the bike terminal stations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lgh wrote: »
    Hi, I've recently started using Dublin bikes to get to work during the week and have been really frustrated when I go to the bike terminals in the morning Monday-Friday and there is a big queue of people waiting for a bike to be returned. Anyone else have the same issue? Does this happen at all the bike terminal stations?

Get yourself a bike. They are meant for occasional trips not reliance for commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Lgh wrote: »

Some stations will have a high demand at certain times. I used to see it at quite a few along by the canal. One closest to where I'd come into town would usually have no bikes or a queue from about 8.15. But I usually passed it at 7.15 and you'd have your pick.

Your options:

1) Download the app and check the demand at stations and see if there is one that would suit where the demand isn't as high.
    2) Go earlier
    3) Get your own bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭LastStop

At some of the stations in the morning I've seen a queue waiting to return bikes, they have to wait because there is no gap to put the bike back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

listermint wrote: »
    Get yourself a bike. They are meant for occasional trips not reliance for commuting.

Nonsense if living and working in the Dublin bike zone.

I use them every day to go from the office to Pearse station. About a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭dubrov

In fairness they were never meant for daily commuting.
    Journeys tend to move toward the city centre in the morning and out to the periphery in the evening.

Unless you are going against that flow, you'll always have problems.
    Just buy a cheap bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Contact them and see if something can be done as that's why they have the vans and truck beds moving them around.

To be fair, most of the dublin bike usage at peak times in morning and evening is by people who do use it for daily 'commuting'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Is there no other stations even vaguely near? I have 3 "preferred" pick up stops and another 3 walking in my direction. And 3 drop off locations. When I worked in the docklands the stations were more than likely full so I always left the bike slightly further in town. For the sake of 5 minutes walk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Cloudio9 wrote: »

It's not nonsense. Depends entirely where you live. It's why they have trucks to distribute them more evenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Cloudio9 wrote: »

100% agreed ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭p_haugh

They’re also handy if you commute from the greater Dublin area by bus/train and then it’s either a 10 minute cycle or a long enough walk.
    Would be difficult to bring a bike with you on the commute every day, especially on the bus as Dublin bus for eg you can’t bring on bikes.
    This is why a lot of people use the Dublin bikes when they get into the city to go the “final mile”.

Bike share schemes the world over are primarily used by commuters. Its one of the biggest benefits of them

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Charlemont and along the canal are notoriously bad in the morning, the app used to be handy as it would tell you the situation at nearby stations for available bikes and spare racks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

To be fair, most of the dublin bike usage at peak times in morning and evening is by people who do use it for daily 'commuting'.

+1

I cannot understand the amount of people who think bicycle share isn't for commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

monument wrote: »
    +1

I cannot understand the amount of people who think bicycle share isn't for commuting.
    They're not really meant for commuting, that's why there are no stations outside Connolly or Heuston. Commuters create tidal flows which prevent a bike share from working properly

They're not really meant for commuting, that's why there are no stations outside Connolly or Heuston. Commuters create tidal flows which prevent a bike share from working properly

There is a station outside Heuston and 2 more just across the bridge.

+1

I think when it was launched it was aimed at tourists and city center residents. I think they must have said this at the time because I also remember this. When it started it was useless for commuting. I gave up on it. I switched to a folding bike myself at the time.

I assume as it expanded it had better capacity and was able to cater for commuters aswell. These days i only use Dublin bikes for lunchtime trips and never have an issue.

+1

I'd imagine it's the people who want to get where they are going.

Those that want to take a chance on a bike being there think they are for commuting.

Those that dont get their own bike. It's like relying on a taxi to be available at the same location every morning to get you to the office or buying your one car.

... Plenty of gamblers on this forum I see.

Nonsense .. pffft

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would be a little confused at what people mean when they discuss what the bike scheme is 'for'. it's for (generally) short trip cycling, you cannot dictate what people use it for (bar stating an initial intention) after it's been installed, people will use it in whatever way they see fit and find useful.

i would be a little confused at what people mean when they discuss what the bike scheme is 'for'. it's for (generally) short trip cycling, you cannot dictate what people use it for (bar stating an initial intention) after it's been installed, people will use it in whatever way they see fit and find useful.

I don't think anyone disputed that. It's the notion that someone is reliant on it and complains when there is little capacity because it's being overloaded with similar minded individuals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

There does seem to be an overall West to East flow in the mornings for the bikes and the reverse in the evening. Its a pity the scheme has not expanded, I suspect Dublin City are hoping the dockless bikes will pick up the slack but so far they are a far inferior offering (Bleeperbikes) in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

There is a lot of economic activity centred in grand canal dock now and very little public transport options running East West.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DoctorPan

There's 3 at Heuston station plus two more across the bridge, and one accross the road at Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

As has already been pointed out, there are at least 5 stations within walking distance of Heuston.

Tidal flows are part and parcel of city travel. That’s why they have the trucks to move the bikes around when necessary.
    Interestingly, I think I read that they aim for the system to be 70% self-sufficient in terms of bike movements while the other 30% requires intervention as mentioned.

Last Stop wrote: »
    As has already been pointed out, there are at least 5 stations within walking distance of Heuston. ...

As was said earlier. There wasn't originally.

https://irishcycle.com/2013/02/19/dublinbikes-expansion-deal-not-yet-reached-with-jcdecaux/

I'm almost certain they said it wasn't aimed at commuters originally. Changed their mind or perhaps that was the original plan to expand.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

beauf wrote: »
    As was said earlier. There wasn't originally.

https://irishcycle.com/2013/02/19/dublinbikes-expansion-deal-not-yet-reached-with-jcdecaux/

I'm almost certain they said it wasn't aimed at commuters originally. Changed their mind or perhaps that was the original plan to expand.

It started in the city centre and worked its way out. The scheme is developed along corridors so stations are never more that 200m apart. That means in the event you try to return a bike and the station is full, you don’t have far to go to the next one.

Certainly now they have the numbers and stands that a lot of commuters can use them. Depends on your route how useful they'll be. But at the start it wasn't that useful. Still isn't for me.

You really only needed the last paragraph

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

There does seem to be an overall West to East flow in the mornings for the bikes and the reverse in the evening. Its a pity the scheme has not expanded, I suspect Dublin City are hoping the dockless bikes will pick up the slack but so far they are a far inferior offering (Bleeperbikes) in my opinion

I sometimes pick up a bike near the convention centre in the morning and drop off at Leeson Street Bridge. Frequently, the station is empty and there are people waiting for me to park. (I believe that a similar situation can exist further up the canal at Harcourt Terrace and at the Hilton). However, at the same time, the station c.50 yards before it at Wilton Park and the one before that one at Baggot Street bridge (another 50 yds?) could be full with people waiting to leave bikes back.

The scheme was expanded a few years back and moved up towards Heuston and Grangegorman and into the Docklands. It seems to me to have been a great success and I'm surprised that DCC are not looking even further to e.g. Ballsbridge, Rathmines, Fairview where I'm sure there would be great demand.

• Advertisement

The scheme was expanded a few years back and moved up towards Heuston and Grangegorman and into the Docklands. It seems to me to have been a great success and I'm surprised that DCC are not looking even further to e.g. Ballsbridge, Rathmines, Fairview where I'm sure there would be great demand.

I remember reading that they are reviewing the scheme and looking at the station-less bike model and how that might extend the reach of bike-sharing at lower cost than the existing Dublin Bikes model.

There may also be the fact that a DCC report (p. 22/23) that said membership levels have plateaued and may decline in time so there may be an unwillingness to invest further at this point.

Advertisement