Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1901 / 1911 census records - place of birth change

• 20-10-2019 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering if anyone has found examples of an individual who stated their place of birth on 1901 census as Dublin (for example) and then in 1911 stated as another county (eg, Meath).
    This gent would have lived around Cabra/Ashtown/Dublin at both years so this isn't an issue of boundary of county moving.

One possible avenue I am looking at is one family grouping of his surname was around Dunshaughlin and that is not far from Dublin as crow flies - however, it really has been in Meath at least since Griffiths Val and probably before.
    So, I still don't think it was about shifting boundaries. I am more thinking that perhaps the enumerator in 1901 didn't pay attention or the head of household/male who later in 1911 declared himself as born in Meath just wasn't clear on detail of his birthplace. Perhaps someone put him right in the intervening years.
    I am just curious if anyone else saw similar and got to the bottom of possible theories as to why the individual revised their place of birth in the later census,

Cheers,

ifc

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

One of my ancestors changed from Cork to Dublin from 1901 to 1911. No explanation why. No knowledge in the family of him being from Cork. I have however found his baptism in Dublin (i.e. the correct names for him, his father and mother including her maiden name in the year I expected him to be born). So I've no idea where Cork comes in but the census in question has some other errors on it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

Did he sign the census form? I have a relative born in Wexford who is in an English census as born in Dublin. She moved to Dublin as a young child, and the census enumerator probably interviewed another member of the family who just assumed she was born in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I've seen this many times - someone born Cork in 1901 census, Dublin in 1911 census etc.

Generally only the head of household would have seen the information taken down on the census or if illiterate they would depend on the accuracy of whoever completed the form on their behalf.

The accuracy of the census details depends on what the head of household knows or remembers so there are often inconsistencies in ages, places of birth, names etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mollymoo19

I have a relative who claimed he was born in Tipperary in 1901 and in Co. Dublin in 1911. He supposedly signed both forms himself. He was baptised in Co. Dublin in 1860 and I suspect he was born there too. His father was from Co. Tipperary.

Advertisement