Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭standardg60

'some kind of willowy thing' is a perfect description.
    It's a widely diverse genus which even botanists struggle with.
    For example, the golden weeping willow (the big arching one usually seen beside water) is variously known as;
    Salix X sepulcralis 'chrysocoma'
    Salix alba 'vitellina pendula'
    Salix alba 'tristis'
    Salix babylonica 'ramulus aureis'.

Hillier's also refers to some of the following common names; white, scarlet, grey, violet, bay, hoary ( not to be confused with woolly obviously), coyote, goat, crack, and finally the only one that makes any sense..cricket bat.

Hope that makes you feel better :-).

I think you are write with Grey Willow. Although associated with damp conditions, it can grow perfectly well in drier areas too. Leaves look right shape, colour above and below. Most of the basketry willows "Salix viminalis and hybrids" have longer leaves, Goat Willow has wider appley leaves. Probably seeded itself. With the dead wood, this is normal too, willows will routinely lose dead/dying branches and boughs through their life cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

'some kind of willowy thing' is a perfect description.

Hope that makes you feel better :-).

Yep! :D Our local canton-town name refers to a/the willow, so it'd make sense for there still to be a fair bit around and about. I'll make up some story about it to amuse the visitors! :pac:

A different bush which appeared a few years ago and looked initially like it was yet another one of these has flowered this year and revealed itself to be a common privet. It's proving to be very interesting watching the variety of trees and shrubs that have re-colonised an area that was literally scraped bare (with a JCB) by the previous owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Right people. Found this growning in the mother in laws garden. Looks fantastic. self seeded from somewhere or came from bird seed she has about the place. It's about 3ft wide and 2 hight.

20200531-200641.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭macraignil

Right people. Found this growning in the mother in laws garden. Looks fantastic. self seeded from somewhere or came from bird seed she has about the place. It's about 3ft wide and 2 hight.

20200531-200641.jpg

Is it viper's burgloss?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

macraignil wrote: »
    Is it viper's burgloss?

That's her. The bees are loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Hey guys. Can anyone tell me what these are?
    Tried my dad and his old school books of plants /flowers and he had no clue
    Bottom one is pretty invasive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Hi all

Can you tell me the specific plant I have here for hedging?
    I assume its probably the most common laurel in the world but I haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Hey guys. Can anyone tell me what these are?
    Tried my dad and his old school books of plants /flowers and he had no clue
    Bottom one is pretty invasive.
    Top one is Jerusalem sage -can't remember the correct name - bottom one is Alchemilla Mollis - Our Ladys Mantle

Edit:
    Jer Sage is a Phlomis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭macraignil

Brego888 wrote: »
    Hi all

Looks like common laurel to me as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

macraignil wrote: »
    Looks like common laurel to me as well.

Word of advice: DO NOT mis-type "common laurel" in a search engine. Especially not from a work computer. :eek:

Brego888 wrote: »
    Hi all

Yes, Prunus laurocerasus, Cherry Laurel

• Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

lottpaul wrote: »
    Top one is Jerusalem sage -can't remember the correct name - bottom one is Alchemilla Mollis - Our Ladys Mantle

Edit:
    Jer Sage is a Phlomis

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Anyone able to identify this plant that's spreading quite a lot in the back garden of the house we're renting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Another figwort a Plant & Weed ID Megathread classic.

Looks to me like Water Figwort, Scrophularia auriculata because of the wings on the stems and rounded ends to the leaves but open to suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Hey, could anyone tell me what kind of plant the attached is?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭CiaranTheGreat

Frisbee wrote: »
    Hey, could anyone tell me what kind of plant the attached is?

Libertia grandiflora

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Nice one, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Anyone know what this fella is:

IMG-20200530-154350.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

New Home wrote: »

Awesome - thanks!

Is this Lithospermum Arvense? I'm not convinced.

515129.jpg

Are the petals dissected, or is that just the pic? Apart from that, if its not L. arvense, it's doing a very good imitation of it!
    Did you sow a seed mix?

Yes, all the petals are like that. It sprouted on its own (together with a huge amount of milk thistle and willowherb) from soil I got from a bag of Shamrock multi-purpose compost (which also had some very suspicious strings of orange-coloured roots which I fished out :eek:).

I'm not sure what that it, if it's invasive and should be eradicated immediately or whether it's a useful plant for pollinators or even if it's an edible plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

If it quacks like a duck but walks like a goose...what is it?

This looks like nettle, that's just over a week's growth. But no stings. Is it nettle?

Could be Lamium.

This looks like nettle, that's just over a week's growth. But no stings. Is it nettle?

Weed or not?

Small yellow flower.

Clarabel wrote: »
    Weed or not?

Small yellow flower.

That looks like a seed head, the petals have dropped off. A type of buttercup, perhaps?

I'd still say Lamium.

• Advertisement

Weed or not?

Small yellow flower.

Geum urbanum, Wood Avens - wildflower

Advertisement