Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sega Megadrive mini

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

games list not great. no road rash 2, jungle strike, jamepond II better be hackable

It's an absolutely fantastic list and a great representation of what the console had to offer.

Road Rash II would have been nice though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's an absolutely fantastic list and a great representation of what the console had to offer.

Road Rash II would have been nice though.

It does have Road Rash II....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Genesis_Mini#Games

Master of the Universe

So it does!

Well then, I can now say it is the greatest list of games ever assembled in the history of humanity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I bought that one at full price back on release, I played it to death!
    And, when I rebought the Megadrive a few years later, it was one of the first games I got all over again and was still the business.
    It's probably on an even par, for me at least, with it's 3DO sequel.
    I thought they overstretched with Road Rash III and the less said about the MegaCD Road Rash game the better.
    Show, don't tell!

Master of the Universe

i had it back in the day too, managed to get it in a long line of trades which I still actually remember!

Was given Castle Illusion for Christmas from my grandparents when I was 8. Finished that and traded it in for Ghostbusters II (we had a local videoshop that let you trade games for five pounds)
    Finished Ghostbusters and traded it in for Lemmings.
    Lemmings was then completed and traded in for Mercs.
    I swapped Mercs for Road Rash II with a mate.

Also agree on Road Rash III, never liked it. Just doesn't look and play right.

• Advertisement

It wasn't as tightly themed as RR or RR2, and they returned to the consistent West-Coast setting for RR on the 3DO, which is still a favourite, such a soundtrack!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I hate the GEMS megadrive sound driver but a lot of the EA games didn't sound that bad using it. Road Rash and Strike games sounded pretty good.

So, the prevailing opinion is that if it's an M2 joint then it is likely to be a series of highly accurate but game specific emulators and unlikely to be hackable, unless there's a Retroarch option developed, and if it's not M2 the emulation is just going to p1ss people off and be hacked within the first day of release?

I think the device would be the perfect place for a Shmup games colletion, to be honest, from Thunderforce IV to Flying Shark and all points in between!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

i had it back in the day too, managed to get it in a long line of trades which I still actually remember!

Was given Castle Illusion for Christmas from my grandparents when I was 8. Finished that and traded it in for Ghostbusters II (we had a local videoshop that let you trade games for five pounds)
    Finished Ghostbusters and traded it in for Lemmings.
    Lemmings was then completed and traded in for Mercs.
    I swapped Mercs for Road Rash II with a mate.

Also agree on Road Rash III, never liked it. Just doesn't look and play right.

Mercs is still one of my favourite games - I loved Road Rash 2 as well but I still play Original mode in Mercs even though I have a PS4, Xbox One and a Switch - it is still in my top 10 list of all time games. You are right Desert Strike would have been class - since M2 are programming it I'm fearful that it won't be hackable - would love to throw Midnight Resistance on it as well.

Master of the Universe

Danick wrote: »
    Mercs is still one of my favourite games - I loved Road Rash 2 as well but I still play Original mode in Mercs even though I have a PS4, Xbox One and a Switch - it is still in my top 10 list of all time games. You are right Desert Strike would have been class - since M2 are programming it I'm fearful that it won't be hackable - would love to throw Midnight Resistance on it as well.

I have a Mercs PCB in one of my arcade machines that hasn't left since I picked it up a long time ago. Great thing about the arcade board over the Megadrive port (as amazing as it was) is 2 and 3 player. Such a shame the Megadrive game didn't at least have 2 player!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Finishing Lemmings is an accomplishment. I always got stuck on some levels. Rented Ghostbusters a rake of times and the final level always did me in as well.

I'm just looking at Youtube and I COULD finish Mercs Original mode. That was very moreish with the unlockable characters. I was very fond of Midnight Resistance in the arcade I'd have eaten up that Mega Drive port if I'd known it existed.

GEMS was a really well designed tool, and there was plenty of good Mega Drive music made with it, it's just that the vast majority of people didn't take the time or make the effort to make custom sounds and just bunged a load of the preset instruments in there and called it a day.

I have a Mercs PCB in one of my arcade machines that hasn't left since I picked it up a long time ago. Great thing about the arcade board over the Megadrive port (as amazing as it was) is 2 and 3 player. Such a shame the Megadrive game didn't at least have 2 player!

Picked it up on PS2 as part of the Capcom Collection - no original mode but got to play the 2 player version - pretty close to arcade I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I was hoping this would be a bit cheaper than €85. I don't care for it, but I want it...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Still gutted that there's no Pirates! Gold. Hour for hour, I probably spent more on that game than any other 16 big release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Original menu music is a lovely touch. Look forward to the BGOllie cover. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicken George

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I was hoping this would be a bit cheaper than €85. I don't care for it, but I want it...

I want it too but price is a bit steep.
    I'll wait until it's discounted. 85 to sit in a drawer with my nes&snes minis doesn't add up for me anymore with these novelties...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Notice PlayAsia have allocated more preorder stock on the Japanese model.

Add on 20 quid + probable customs to that 78 euro though.

I want it too but price is a bit steep.
    I'll wait until it's discounted. 85 to sit in a drawer with my nes&snes minis doesn't add up for me anymore with these novelties...

Yeah that €85 also ignores the fact that you need to spend another €20 or so for a six-button controller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Yeah that €85 also ignores the fact that you need to spend another €20 or so for a six-button controller.

Personally, I am glad they are shipping it with 3 button controllers. I want the "proper" Megadrive experience. As far as I can see there are only two 6 button games on that list of 42.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Is it possible to use an Android tablet as the screen for one of these consoles or any of the other similar retro consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I want this, I wont pay €80 for it though, I will wait for it to reduce.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

_Brian wrote: »
    Is it possible to use an Android tablet as the screen for one of these consoles or any of the other similar retro consoles.

I don't think so as most small android devices, i.e. tablets & phones, can output HDMI or screen-cast to a receiver, but cannot receive HDMI. As far as I understand it, you can get such devices that are intended to do what you are asking, or you can do a DIY bodge job but at that point it begs the question why not just buy a small led tv or monitor given you'll be into a similar price point in all likelihood regards hardware, be it specific or sacrificed and not destroyed in a failed DIY attempt in doing so

Yeah I've actually been looking into tablets with HDMI in for a couple of reasons and I've come to the conclusion that a portable monitor like this is your best bet - https://www.asus.com/ie/Commercial-Monitors/MB168B/

There are a couple of tablets that actually do offer HDMI input but they're cheap and nasty Chinese rubbish and I don't think anyone could recommend them - https://www.flysight.com/index.php?ac=article&at=read&did=18

Something else you can do is take an ipad 3 or 4 screen and plug its ribbon cable into one of these lcd driver boards from china:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F272635844177

Of course it will need a diy housing or else its going to be a mess of cables.

Heres an even easier option which includes an 8” IPS LCD Display with 4:3 aspect ratio for retro games and also has a composite and vga input which would be handy for testing consoles and old PCs at car boot sales.
    All comes to €31 shipped.

http://s.aliexpress.com/6vyq2AVz

Seems to be usb powered too with the included usb to dc plug cable.

Use something like the myVolts Ripcord cables to power voltages higher than 5V along with a decent USB power bank and you have a mobile testing rig (for retro consoles at least that are not directly mains powered). Just bare in mind the ripcord cables are limited to a current output of 1A currently.

http://myvolts.com/page.php?xPage=MV_Ripcord

Just tried powering my Mega Drive 1 and Super Famicom from my USB power bank and my ripcord cable for the first time. Its the 9V centre pin negative version and it powered them flawlessly with no issues during gameplay!

Its a really strange feeling when you power a console from a usb battery bank! :D

Doge wrote: »
    Just tried powering my Mega Drive 1 and Super Famicom from my USB power bank and my ripcord cable for the first time. Its the 9V centre pin negative version and it powered them flawlessly with no issues during gameplay!

Its a really strange feeling when you power a console from a usb battery bank! :D

Which one did you buy for the mega drive one? Thanks

Danick wrote: »
    Which one did you buy for the mega drive one? Thanks

9V Ripcord, centre negative
    AA927MS

That's for the Mega Drive 1 just to be clear I think the mega drive 2 uses a different barrel size and has a different polarity also.

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »
    9V Ripcord, centre negative
    AA927MS

That's for the Mega Drive 1 just to be clear I think the mega drive 2 uses a different barrel size and has a different polarity also.

Thanks so much - I never knew it was possible to power it via usb.

Advertisement