Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vegan Billboards from around the world.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

First off, I have no beliefs, none whatsoever. And I've never said the above to anyone. No-one. Not a single person. I don't want people to dictate to me so I start by not dictating to others.

My philosophy is 'do no harm'. It's up to other people to decide whether they want to do the same.

For the record - I dont think that's true. A lot of your own comments posted make repeated calls to others to ignore posters with alternate or varying opinions. So yeah that's a form of dictating imo. Plus saying that one has no 'beliefs' and pushing vegan films simply because they fall under the vegan umbrella doesn't quite make sense either tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭emaherx

Pushing their beliefs ?

That’s gas.

Do you think billboards pushing the carnist lifelstyle of consuming dead animals and animal products like veal, lambs, milk and cheese are also not needed ?

Carnists pushing their beliefs on billboards - does that also upset you ?

Never seen a go Carnist billboard.

Maybe when they exist Carnists might start putting them up?

Serious question though. Had an omelette last week made with 3 eggs, how many chickens died to make my omelette?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

emaherx wrote: »
    Serious question though. Had an omelette last week made with 3 eggs, how many chickens died to make my omelette?

Not a single one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭Worztron

From https://www.vegansociety.com/go-vegan/egg-industry:
    "male chicks are of no use for egg or meat production, and are killed almost immediately after hatching. They are either thrown into an industrial grinder (‘macerator’) while still alive or gassed to death"

---

What's Wrong With Eggs? The Truth About The Egg Industry [some graphic content]

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

Worztron wrote: »
    From https://www.vegansociety.com/go-vegan/egg-industry:
    "male chicks are of no use for egg or meat production, and are killed almost immediately after hatching. They are either thrown into an industrial grinder (‘macerator’) while still alive or gassed to death"

I
    ---
    What's Wrong With Eggs? The Truth About The Egg Industry ðŸ³

That article while shocking cotains some inaccuracies and also has no relevance to the source of the eggs in my particular omelette.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That article while shocking cotains some inaccuracies and also has no relevance to the source of the eggs in my particular omelette.

You'll have to ask the hatchery?

If you are asking about the veracity of the billboard then do so, I won't be tolerating much more of this kind of post.

If you are asking about the veracity of the billboard then do so, I won't be tolerating much more of this kind of post.

Nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I think what emaherx is referring to is that she (he?) probably keeps her own hens (like many people in Ireland) and there's therefor no deaths involved in the making of the omelettes (unless of course you'd argue that any egg has the potential to be a chicken but I imagine that would depend on whether or not there's a rooster around)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

wexie wrote: »
    I think what emaherx is referring to is that she (he?) probably keeps her own hens (like many people in Ireland) and there's therefor no deaths involved in the making of the omelettes (unless of course you'd argue that any egg has the potential to be a chicken but I imagine that would depend on whether or not there's a rooster around)

Even hens kept at home are usually sourced from places where male chicks are killed, which funds that. Vague questions about somebodies own personal circumstance, without even giving them are useless and are doubly useless for the population at large. Even if somebody found some more ethical operation where everybody grows up together, nobody is killed and they live out their lives in old age even when they do not provide any more - it wouldn't apply to nearly anybody else.

• Advertisement

Even hens kept at home are usually sourced from places where male chicks are killed, which funds that. Vague questions about somebodies own personal circumstance, without even giving them are useless and are doubly useless for the population at large. Even if somebody found some more ethical operation where everybody grows up together, nobody is killed and they live out their lives in old age when they do not provide ant more - it wouldn't apply to nearly anybody else.

As said above, many many people keep their own birds. Many sourcing from other small producers and many get rescue hens (or can only vegans do that?)

Being vauge almost as bad and annoying as producing evidence of the most vile production methods and trying to convince the world all producers are guilty of the same acts??

Thanks Tar.Aldarion, you have just more or less agreed with every non-vegan to ever visit this forum. You can't take one example and apply it to every situation. Bravo!

Like this one example of cattle treated poorly has no connection to the average farm. Infact animals this malnurished would be counter productive on any farm.

"Vague questions about somebodies own personal circumstance, without even giving them are useless and are doubly useless for the population at large"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Like this one example of cattle treated poorly has no connection to the average farm. Infact animals this malnurished would be counter productive on any farm.

"Vague questions about somebodies own personal circumstance, without even giving them are useless and are doubly useless for the population at large"

Ah but you wouldn't get the right underlying message across with happy, healthy, well-fed cattle outside would you. :D
    Look at these two poor victims of abuse outside my door.
    "Victims of violence for sale" :rolleyes:
    U40h7BDl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Even hens kept at home are usually sourced from places where male chicks are killed, which funds that. Vague questions about somebodies own personal circumstance, without even giving them are useless and are doubly useless for the population at large. Even if somebody found some more ethical operation where everybody grows up together, nobody is killed and they live out their lives in old age even when they do not provide any more - it wouldn't apply to nearly anybody else.

Who is getting killed now? I could have sworn you were talking about chickens but you said everybody and nobody....

Tilikum17 wrote: »

Also far from the norm on the average dairy farm and a practice that is unheard of in this country. So buy Irish ;)

Infact if 50% of an Irish Dairy farms calves turned up in a knackery they would be visited fairly swiftly by department inspectors.

Also far from the norm on the average dairy farm and a practice that is unheard of in this country. So buy Irish ;)

Infact if 50% of an Irish Dairy farms calves turned up in a knackery they would be visited fairly swiftly by department inspectors.

Stop telling the truth man, it doesn't suit their agenda....

It's first and last day? Tis some calf for a day old to be fair :D

*because it doesn’t happen it Ireland, it’s ok by us*

We have high standards so that billboard has no relevance over here. Have any of you ever bothered to visit a farm and see how well animals are treated in Ireland?

• Advertisement

*I don't believe something is correct, nobody in the whole world should do it either*

It’s hilarious.

Ireland exports a lot of meat. Probably the ‘good stuff’ for top dollar.

It also imports a lot of meat from places like Brazil, Thailand and East Europe. Yum.

Doubt your average high street consumer is aware of this.

A good idea for a thread would be to show how much meat is exported, to where and why.

How much meat is imported, from where and why.

The anti vegans on this forum are obsessed with what happens in Ireland for some reason. Maybe they’ve never been out of the country.

So how much beef, pork and whatever else is exported ? To where ? And why ?

How much is imported ? From where ? And why ?

Is it right that people in Ireland are eating meat from abroad but don’t realise it ?

What subsidies are received by farmers to allow them to export their meat ? Who pays those subsidies ? Why are they exporting meat while meat is being imported ?

If anyone has the time and ability to start such a thread it might make for good reading.

Seems some what relevant on an Irish Forum where you keep posting pictures of those Billboards.

But at least you acknowledge that the calf culling is not happening here ;)

For the record the way things operate in some other countries *are not OK by me* also how large scale poultry factories (won't call them farms) operate in this country *are not ok by me* however judging all operations as the same as your billboards are designed to suggest is clearly wrong!

It’s hilarious.

-blather-

If anyone has the time and ability to start such a thread it might make for good reading.

There was such a thread, until you went on a whiny little rant & insulted everyone and got all the posts deleted.

Seems some what relevant on an Irish Forum where you keep posting pictures of those Billboards.

But at least you acknowledge that the calf culling is not happening here ;)

For the record the way things operate in some other countries *are not OK by me* also how large scale poultry factories (won't call them farms) operate in this country *are not ok by me* however judging all operations as the same as your billboards are designed to suggest is clearly wrong!

Vegan billboards from ‘around the world’

If you don’t like it, don’t open the thread.

The anti vegans on this forum are obsessed with what happens in Ireland for some reason. Maybe they’ve never been out of the country.

Is there such thing as an anti vegan? I see people who are anti vegan propaganda, not anti vegan. i dont think anyone cares what anyone is eating (except vegans of course)

There was such a thread, until you went on a whiny little rant & insulted everyone and got all the posts deleted.

You’re getting me confused with someone else.

I don’t think there has been such a thread.

You’re getting me confused with someone else.

I don’t think there has been such a thread.

Oh maybe I'm confusing it with a thread that somebody only wanted to post videos on and have no discussion at all on.

It’s hilarious.

Ireland exports a lot of meat. Probably the ‘good stuff’ for top dollar.

It also imports a lot of meat from places like Brazil, Thailand and East Europe. Yum.

Doubt your average high street consumer is aware of this.

A good idea for a thread would be to show how much meat is exported, to where and why.

How much meat is imported, from where and why.

So how much beef, pork and whatever else is exported ? To where ? And why ?

How much is imported ? From where ? And why ?

Is it right that people in Ireland are eating meat from abroad but don’t realise it ?

What subsidies are received by farmers to allow them to export their meat ? Who pays those subsidies ? Why are they exporting meat while meat is being imported ?

Obsessed with what happens in Ireland?
    The point is vast majority of milk sold here is produced here. If people don't want to buy produce from from farms where calves are shot at birth it's easy.... Just buy Irish ;)

How much of you vegetables based diet is imported and why? Was it all grown completely ethically? Do we export vegtables how and why?are our vegtables produced any more or less ethically than the other countries that we import from?

Subsides? Removing subsides really did wonders for animal welfare in New Zealand, you should know about that as you post footage of it regularly!

You also have very little faith in the average consumer? Packaging is clearly marked with country of origin.

• Advertisement

Oh maybe I'm confusing it with a thread that somebody only wanted to post videos on and have no discussion at all on.

There is plenty of those type of threads on boards.

You do realise you don’t have to read all the threads in the vegan forum if you do want to ?

Who’s forcing you ?

Even the thread that contains ‘from around the world’ has the anti vegans in ****ting themselves and spouting irrelevant nonsense about Ireland.

Advertisement