Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-08-2018, 23:41   #1
nomdeboardie

Take with a grain of salt?.."Could coffee replace insulin injections for diabetics?"

From a couple of months ago:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/...-for-diabetics

Is this a joke? First of all, kudos to the Guardian on an insanely misleading title. Secondly, why the heck would the designers not just engineer their system to respond to glucose instead of caffeine? Is this the biotech version of a Rube Goldberg machine?...hook it up to a glucose monitor to tell you how much coffee to drink to activate the implants...

Caveat: I haven't yet looked at the original research report, so may be missing something...
Update: OK, I’ve had a quick scan of the paper linked in the article now, but it still seems a silly choice of inducer to me, depending on the user routinely consuming caffeinated beverages, and providing no glucose-dependent modulation

Last edited by nomdeboardie; 25-08-2018 at 00:03. Reason: alcohol
Advertisement
03-10-2018, 21:10   #2
CramCycle
A wholly unreasonable man

Haven't read the paper but I imagine they didn't pick caffeine, caffeine worked so they went with that?

Fine for type 2 and possibly helpful to type 1s with the release of GLP1, as you said, very misleading title that gives the impression insulin is being released.

Might be good for people in need of diet assistance as well.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion