Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfers ear

• 25-07-2018 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I am pretty new to surfing and am just wondering is surfers ear a real problem in our generally cold water climate.
    Or would I need to be surfing everyday to get it?
    I just read up about it and sounds pretty nasty, do many people were ear plugs??
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Fermanagh Matt

Im fairly new myself, I surf all year round and have never needed ear plugs or had any particular ear issues.

My feet feeling like blocks of ice concerns me more :)

Where are you surfing?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭andyd12

Im fairly new myself, I surf all year round and have never needed ear plugs or had any particular ear issues.

My feet feeling like blocks of ice concerns me more :)

Where are you surfing?
    In Sligo area, usually strandhill as I live close by.

I don't really have any problems with my ears but don't fancy getting surfers ear of any description.
    Are your feet cold in this weather? I wear boots all the time
    Where are you surfing?

No it's been lovely the past few months, I wear boots all the time.

Generally I surf Rossnowlagh or Tullan in Bundoran.

I wouldn't worry about the ears, I have a few synus issues, they play up on planes etc but never a problem surfing.

How's StrandHill? I always mean to make the drive but the local beaches are generally fairly consistent here.

No it's been lovely the past few months, I wear boots all the time.

Generally I surf Rossnowlagh or Tullan in Bundoran.

I wouldn't worry about the ears, I have a few synus issues, they play up on planes etc but never a problem surfing.

How's StrandHill? I always mean to make the drive but the local beaches are generally fairly consistent here.

Are your feet cold ATM, or are you just thinking about in winter time?
    Ah okay cool, I have been at tullan a few times, that is a biiig ass beach. Ye I am sort of the same as strandhill is pretty consistent too, like Tullan though can be a little busy at times with lessons etc but it's all good.
    It's such a tough sport to pick up, some days I feel like I am improving then others I just get ragged by the waves

No definitely not feeling the cold at the moment, it's been lovely conditions for months.

How new are you to it? I started about 2 years ago, at 36 and wish I'd started when I was half that age.

I used to only get out every few weeks but now I'm out a couple of times every week. It's been a really slow process but it all comes together. I can generally catch most decent waves now, I'm confident with my pop ups and love the more challenging conditions. My main problem compared to the other surfers is that I can only seem to go straight forward, rather than riding across the waves.

I found I improved alot once I went from a foam board to a regular board.

I have a little camera I can attach and it's quite useful to watch back the footage when 've got it right so I can try and do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Re only going straight a great tip that worked was pick a spot on the shore at about a 45 degree angle from you in the direction he wave is breaking and stare at it as soon as you start paddlng and don't take your eye off it until your standing up. This should naturally make the board point along the wave without even having to think about it.

A lesson with someone like Ben's surf clinic in lahinch would be helpful in helping you progress I'd reckon.

Thanks

The best advice I was given was to look where I want to go once I get up, it really does work. I'll be trying that on my pop ups tomorrow. Some nice waves forecast for the weekend.

I had plenty of lessons initially, and got alot of advise on conditions and when and where to surf.

I did a one on one lesson before the summer, that was a great help. I just need to push myself now and keep practising as much as possible. So much becomes natural after a while.

I saw a kid today about 8 years old surfing backwards into shore, the kids make it look so easy lol

No definitely not feeling the cold at the moment, it's been lovely conditions for months.

How new are you to it? I started about 2 years ago, at 36 and wish I'd started when I was half that age.

I used to only get out every few weeks but now I'm out a couple of times every week. It's been a really slow process but it all comes together. I can generally catch most decent waves now, I'm confident with my pop ups and love the more challenging conditions. My main problem compared to the other surfers is that I can only seem to go straight forward, rather than riding across the waves.

I found I improved alot once I went from a foam board to a regular board.

I have a little camera I can attach and it's quite useful to watch back the footage when 've got it right so I can try and do it again.

Ye only about a month or 2 at it. 31 myself, would have been easier 20 years ago haha.

Ye it's all about timing and a lot of it I think. I usually take pretty well to any sport quickly but surfing really takes a lot of time to see any progress, for me anyway ha.

I am on a foam board, was told it's best to start on. It's useful when it hits you when you fall haha, doesn't hurt too much haha.

Keep at it anyway buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 21 HeyMister

Back to surfers ear.
    Been in the water regularly for about 18 years now.
    Have 70% closure in both ears. Its not so bad in summer, but I definitely need plugs now in winter or on bigger days.
    Main issue for me is water and sand gets trapped and I get ear infections easily, no hearing issues, but have buddies who've had to have their ears drilled.

i'm using EQ seals sometimes or custom plugs sometimes,
    can't hear very well with either, but EQ seals come with a little keyring holder so I don't forget them.

Get some cheap swimmers ear plugs that fit well and see do they work for you. They're only annoying when trying to have a chat. But I just pop it out and back in again.
    Surfers ear is a pain in the hole ( ear hole ) if you do end up with it. Even if you were in once a week i'd get the plugs.

• Advertisement

HeyMister wrote: »
    Back to surfers ear.
    Been in the water regularly for about 18 years now.
    Have 70% closure in both ears. Its not so bad in summer, but I definitely need plugs now in winter or on bigger days.
    Main issue for me is water and sand gets trapped and I get ear infections easily, no hearing issues, but have buddies who've had to have their ears drilled.

i'm using EQ seals sometimes or custom plugs sometimes,
    can't hear very well with either, but EQ seals come with a little keyring holder so I don't forget them.

Get some cheap swimmers ear plugs that fit well and see do they work for you. They're only annoying when trying to have a chat. But I just pop it out and back in again.
    Surfers ear is a pain in the hole ( ear hole ) if you do end up with it. Even if you were in once a week i'd get the plugs.
    I am off to buy plugs then, screw that! Thanks hope your problem doesn't get any worse

Yeah, its a small thing to add to protect your ears.
    If you are surfing anywhere dirty also, even without ear problems you can get ear infections, anywhere near an outflow or farm running off.
    If you wouldn't be happy swallowing the water, you don't want it going in your ears either.

In winter a good hood that doesn't let water in can do the job also.
    Like i said, try a few cheap swimming ones, sometimes they are just as good as the fancy ones that all the pro's are sponsored by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I've seen people use blue tack as ear plugs

Total dose when Blutak disintegrates in Salt Water, and you have to scoop it out with a car key.

Can get swimmers plugs for less than a tenner in some stores.
    I'm sure some lad has used a crisp packet as a jonny before too, it worked, but was not the best idea.

HeyMister wrote: »
    Total dose when Blutak disintegrates in Salt Water, and you have to scoop it out with a car key.

Can get swimmers plugs for less than a tenner in some stores.
    I'm sure some lad has used a crisp packet as a jonny before too, it worked, but was not the best idea.
    Was that your father

https://community.magicseaweed.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9130

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Was having a medical for work and everything was going well till he looked between ma ears:eek:

Need to get some ear plugs and find someone who is handy with a drill:(:(:(

rodento wrote: »
    Was having a medical for work and everything was going well till he looked between ma ears:eek:

Need to get some ear plugs and find someone who is handy with a drill:(:(:(

Try SDS bits https://images.app.goo.gl/FgryFQ2SL9syo2LPA

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Blur tac if you're stuck, I always keep it in the car... It'll mould into your ear...

But if you're iffy about putting that in your ear I wouldn't recommend it...

It's never Hurt me..

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

I prefer to use simple aqua blocks or seals to get ride of water. I don't prefer to go with music because while surfering, I love the sound of waves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement