Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aer Lingus Guitar Policy

Options
  • 25-09-2017 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

Hey looking to see if anyones flown aer lingus with a guitar, if so, did you check it through or buy the extra seat? Don't have a hard case, bought a guitar in another country (acoustic second hand). The case is fairly well padded but i'd still be sketchy about it going through the checked luggage in the airport. Anyone dealt with this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

maybe contact aer lingus and ask the people who know?

sorry mate, never travelled with a guitar

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/baggage-information/musical-equipment/
    If the instrument is larger than the permitted cabin baggage size, e.g. a guitar, and you wish to carry the item in the cabin, you’ll need to buy an additional (window) seat for the instrument. This can be done online and normal charges and taxes will apply. There’ll be no baggage allowance for the purchase of an additional seat for the instrument. The instrument should be booked in the name of the instrument e.g. Guitar/One Ms or Saxophone/One Ms. The actual weight of the instrument, including its carry case, must not exceed 75kg/165lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

I’ve never had an issue putting in the overhead but it’s always at the ground crew’s discretion. I’ve had soft cases and hard cases. Gatwick don’t have AerLingus staff and can kick up a stink but I’ve still had the crew let me take it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nomdeplum

For the record: I booked a seat for a guitar once. Seemed straight forward enough but the woman at the desk short circuited when I explained it to her (not in Ireland). I booked it in as Mr Guitar. Think she thought I was winding her up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

They ended up letting me take it on at that time. We had another 10kg left over from our luggage and stuff so we were able to check it through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Nomdeplum

Good. Glad that worked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

They ended up letting me take it on at that time. We had another 10kg left over from our luggage and stuff so we were able to check it through.

Where did it go once on board if you hadn't bought a seat for it? Curious as I've only ever brought a guitar on after purchasing a seat.

Where did it go once on board if you hadn't bought a seat for it? Curious as I've only ever brought a guitar on after purchasing a seat.

I put it into the hold. Came out grand! :)

I put it into the hold. Came out grand! :)

Ooh.. braver than me. Was it in a hardcase? I don't think I could relax, you hear some horror stories!

Ooh.. braver than me. Was it in a hardcase? I don't think I could relax, you hear some horror stories!

No just a normal case, this had been after a few stressful days of packing to move back to Ireland, so I was just like put it into the thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭skallywag

I brought a guitar on an AL flight a few months ago, just brought it on and put it into the overheads on top of some other cases which were in there, worked a treat. I was a little nervous that they would take it off me at the gate and condemn it to the hold, but nobody even batted an eye at it. Was flying from Dublin by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 musicgirl20202

flew new york to ireland and they let me put in the overhead without batting an eye the staff is pretty laidback so dont think they would make any problems

flew new york to ireland and they let me put in the overhead without batting an eye the staff is pretty laidback so dont think they would make any problems

Hi - What size guitar? Hardcase or softcase?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

I brought an electric guitar in a case on an Aer Lingus flight, and the case came out scuffed etc from the hold. I'd be wary of doing it again.

Advertisement