Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Carbon Monoxide Awareness**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Unashamedly lifted from Y.L.Y.L.

She was joking though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Unashamedly lifted from Y.L.Y.L.

She was joking though :)

Unfortunately I had a similar situation today
    Got a call to a house CO alarm was sounding
    Tenant told me it was sounding on and off for the last few days but was going mad today so he took it down
    I was wearing my personal CO alarm it started going off
    The fire was lit
    I told the tenant to put out the fire open windows and doors he Refused
    I told him again he told he would take his chances and showed me to the door

• Registered Users Posts: 12,713 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Tenant told me it was sounding on and off for the last few days but was going mad today so he took it down
    The fire was lit

It was said here before it only a proper cnut would act like that when you try to help them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

The fire was lit

What do you do then would you call bg networks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

The fire was lit

FFS Robbie. I would call the fire brigade and let them decide what to do then.

Stupid f er

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement

anthonyos wrote: »

Was an open fire. Not gas I think

anthonyos wrote: »

It was a council house so all I could do was to contact the housing engineer and tell them
    They contacted him and he was not really any better with them he just kept going on that the neighbor got a stove and why didn't he
    That tells you the mentality of some people
    And plenty of empty Dutch gold cans around

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Tom44

I have stopped trying to save the world and now concentrate on those who appericate been saved.
    You did the right call Robbie .

With gas, you can legaly disconnect appliances and have back up.
    With oil you don't have that, but I have cut wires before, I'd sooner be done for vandalism than have the consequences.
    With solid fuel we don't have that liberty.

Last wires cut was 3 week's ago. Customer rang asking where she would get a new co alarm as the old one keeps going off. :confused:

Or if I hear again, "yes we must get one as we now have a baby" !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Just on this topic, are there recent regs for the CO alarms, was on a social call in two houses last week where they were being fitted, I did'nt ask why as not my fight.
    Thanks

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Just on this topic, are there recent regs for the CO alarms, was on a social call in two houses last week where they were being fitted, I did'nt ask why as not my fight.
    Thanks

As from September 2 years ago a CO
    Alarm must be fitted with a new boiler install
    And 1 within 3 mtrs of the bedrooms afaik

• Advertisement

Tom44 wrote: »
    I have stopped trying to save the world and now concentrate on those who appericate been saved.
    You did the right call Robbie .

Thanks Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

As from September 2 years ago a CO
    Alarm must be fitted with a new boiler install
    And 1 within 3 mtrs of the bedrooms afaik

I've just had a gas boiler fitted in a bathroom. Does the alarm need to be in the bathroom or will outside the bathroom door in the hall work?

Effects wrote: »
    I've just had a gas boiler fitted in a bathroom. Does the alarm need to be in the bathroom or will outside the bathroom door in the hall work?

Ideally it should be in the same room
    Personally I wouldn't fit a boiler in a bathroom as there are a lot of things to consider regarding electrics and zones

Ideally it should be in the same room
    Personally I wouldn't fit a boiler in a bathroom as there are a lot of things to consider regarding electrics and zones

It was originally supposed to be under the stairs until the plumber said it can't go under the stairs for safety regs. It then went on the wall behind which is in the bathroom. The co alarms haven't been wired in to the rest of the heat and smoke detectors.

It was originally supposed to be under the stairs until the plumber said it can't go under the stairs for safety regs. It then went on the wall behind which is in the bathroom. The co alarms haven't been wired in to the rest of the heat and smoke detectors.

Is it rather under the stairs than in the bathroom
    Due to the current electrical regs I don't think it's permissible in the bathroom
    I could be wrong though

What's wrong with it under the stairs?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What's wrong with it under the stairs?
    If it goes on fire it burns the only exit from upstairs.
    Due to the current electrical regs I don't think it's permissible in the bathroom
    I could be wrong though

I presume it's far enough away from the zones of the sink and the bath so probably fine. Electrician was annoyed about me wanting a 5 amp socket under a standard socket, that someone in wheelchair wouldn't be able plug a lamp in and out. I'd hope he was as thoughtful about electric shock in a bathroom!

If it goes on fire it burns the only exit from upstairs.

I presume it's far enough away from the zones of the sink and the bath so probably fine. Electrician was annoyed about me wanting a 5 amp socket under a standard socket, that someone in wheelchair wouldn't be able plug a lamp in and out. I'd hope he was as thoughtful about electric shock in a bathroom!

I may check the gas regs. Never heard of that one before

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

You can install a boiler in a bathroom within gas regs, just not in zone 1&2, spur etc will have to be outside the room though.
    CO alarms are not for bathrooms as will not cope with the moisture, so directly outside the bathroom at high level (above windows and door height) read the intrusions completely for correct placement.

Boiler is outside zone 2. Spur is just below the boiler though.
    I'll make sure the co alarm goes outside the bathroom door so.

• Advertisement

Had a look at regs and can't find anything about not putting a boiler under a stairs

DGOBS wrote: »
    You can install a boiler in a bathroom within gas regs, just not in zone 1&2, spur etc will have to be outside the room though.
    CO alarms are not for bathrooms as will not cope with the moisture, so directly outside the bathroom at high level (above windows and door height) read the intrusions completely for correct placement.

I personally wouldn't fit a boiler in one
    Under the current electrical
    Regs only a rec can legally work on any electrics in a bathroom
    Where does that stand

The architect and engineer wanted to move the stud in order to keep the boiler under the stairs. It would have been too much work and extra cost. Maybe it was just the mechanical engineer airing on the side of caution.

W1qtSal.png

The architect and engineer wanted to move the stud in order to keep the boiler under the stairs. It would have been too much work and extra cost. Maybe it was just the mechanical engineer airing on the side of caution.

W1qtSal.png
    That's no problem. Your plumber shouldn't be making up regs though

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Restrictions would be if the house was more than 2 storey or multi-occupancy (like B&B for example) only other restriction is the requirement for a smoke alarm in that area.

If it was me, and a new build, would fire rate the compartment internally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

Hi
    I bought a kidde co alarm for the room with the solid fuel stove and another for outside the bedrooms upstairs.

The alarm seems to be wall mounting and it says not to lie it flat( if free- standing on a Table)

Does that mean I can't mount it on the ceiling in the room with the stove ?

mikeysmith wrote: »
    Hi
    I bought a kidde co alarm for the room with the solid fuel stove and another for outside the bedrooms upstairs.

The alarm seems to be wall mounting and it says not to lie it flat( if free- standing on a Table)

Does that mean I can't mount it on the ceiling in the room with the stove ?

No it's perfectly fine to fit it on the ceiling
    That's what it's designed for

mikeysmith wrote: »

They are wall or ceiling mount
    What it means by not lying flat is the sensors would be in the wrong position

• Advertisement

Thanks, and the alarm outside the bedrooms should I fit that at eye level?

Advertisement