Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PERSONAL WEATHER STATIONS: Queries and Advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Can anyone help me here, got a similar station to this and my anenometer has stopped turning recently. It had stopped, then would work intermittently but now has stopped totally.
    No obvious signs of damage, any help to repair it would be appreciated.

http://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WS-1080-Wireless-Logging/dp/B003E7H5HW/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I had trouble with my wind vane earlier this year and managed to order a replacement part from Maplins website. They are quite reasonably priced too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Most likely, there's some damp got into the bearing, or it's got wear or sticky, and it doesn't take much to stop it turning.

Spares as mentioned on Maplin's site, and I can't recall the size right now, but it is a standard bearing, so probably available for next to nothing from engineering spares sellers, Dickson bearings in Dublin being one that I've used before.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

I just got the Sempre Digital weather station from aldi. Its seems good, is radio controlled. I put the sensor outside but now what do I do? Just look at it every now and then and read the pressure, temp etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

noah45 wrote: »
    I just got the Sempre Digital weather station from aldi. Its seems good, is radio controlled. I put the sensor outside but now what do I do? Just look at it every now and then and read the pressure, temp etc.

And make and Excel spread sheet or three and make log entries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

is there any planning restrictions on mounting a weather station to the side of your house, I've a front facing balcony that would be suitable for one.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    is there any planning restrictions on mounting a weather station to the side of your house, I've a front facing balcony that would be suitable for one.

The short answer is no. If one were to build a tower for it then, perhaps yes, if it's in an apartment block balcony then yes, it would be prohibited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

In the end I got an Oregon Scientific WMR88 for (I think) €109 or thereabout from Maplins. I went for the LW302 first as it seemed cooler, more connected, supported more remote probes & stuff but when I got it home I found it wasn't supported by Weewx so I brought it back. It basically involves uploading your data to an Oregon Scientific server and having it do all the data munging and graph drawing for you. Since it didn't have a USB connection you couldn't get Weewx to talk to it.

I've had it up and running for a while now with just the temperature probe and I'm impressed with the information to date. Next up is to set up the rain gauge & the wind yoke, but that will take a while as I need to work out the most suitable locations.

In the mean time I was thinking of getting further temperature probes like this one - http://eu.oregonscientific.com/cat-Weather-sub-Sensors-prod-Thermometer-and-Humidity-Sensor-with-3-Channels-for-the-WMR80,-WMR200,-WMR100.html. The WMR88 supports 3 in total, so I can get another two. Does anyone know of sites other than Amazon or Oregon Scientific that sell them?

z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

Hi can anyone recommend a decent home wireless weatherstation, i was thinking of getting one, i seen this on ebay. Is it a decent model, could i get much better for a little extra money? Any info greatly appreicated.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Nevada-WH3080-SOLAR-new-style-wireless-weather-station-IN-STOCK-NOW-/181302978798?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Weather_Stations&hash=item2a367fe8ee

I can only speak from experience of a Davis Vantage Vue - first time station. You're talking several hundred Euro for this, but I am very happy with it and it is simple to set up.

I'm sure there are more basic set ups also, I'll open it up to more seasoned station owners here to advise. Good luck - great hobby.

Hi, where did you get yours and how much. Can you view the data on a laptop running windows 7?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

fiestaman wrote: »
    Hi, where did you get yours and how much. Can you view the data on a laptop running windows 7?

http://www.pjboner.com/products-page/weather-stations-categories/

Ring these people, very helpful. Approx 450 euro inc. delivery, but you might haggle with them and get a few euro off. Shop around, do your research before investing. You can purchase software that will download your station data onto a laptop daily if you want. I think the station stores data up to six months with the plug in key.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Any tips on how to turn off the daily alarm on the Maplins silver weather station?

Does anyone know if the cheaper models like this give moon phases and when there is a new moon coming?
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/black-usb-wireless-touchscreen-weather-forecaster-n96gy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,258 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Does anyone know if the cheaper models like this give moon phases and when there is a new moon coming?
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/black-usb-wireless-touchscreen-weather-forecaster-n96gy
    I doesn't (or maybe I haven't found it!), but if you're hooking it up to a PC, the cumulus software that you can use with it does give the moon phase.

Ok so thinking of getting this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nevada-WH3080-Wireless-Weather-Station/dp/B00CMP5PDS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lp_2 I'm starting out so don't want to spend big. Does this seem decent?

Ok so thinking of getting this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nevada-WH3080-Wireless-Weather-Station/dp/B00CMP5PDS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lp_2 I'm starting out so don't want to spend big. Does this seem decent?

On one hand this is fine, go for it. Be advised that they are troublesome gits of things but they also allow the most flexibility these are not setup and forget unit, but will be serviceable enough and are well worth the price for educational purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

eskimocat wrote: »
    Any tips on how to turn off the daily alarm on the Maplins silver weather station?

Here's a link to the manual for your station Cat: have a look at pages 22 & 26

Ok thanks. I am very perticular when it comes to buying & doing things. I like to research and buy the best i can within reason, the same way doing things, do it right once and you wont need to do it again. So i would be hung up on accuracy and figures, i dont want to buy a unit and its just ok, kind of accurate. Would i be aswell to buy the Davis vue. Is this worth the money is it accurate. I see you need to buy a datalogger so you can view on a laptop or pc.Can it work with culumus? Im not going to be predicting weather but id like a reliable accurate station.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The station you've mentioned is made by Fine Offset, and they can be a pain at times with things like bearings getting sticky, spiders building webs in the rain gauge, wind speed not accurately balanced, so if it's not perfectly level, it won't correctly record low wind speeds, the wind direction sensor can be a problem in some places, stuff like that, I have a much modified Maplin station here, so some experience of the things that can and do go wrong with the Fine Offset sensors.

It's the same manufacturer as most of the Maplin stations, and the one good thing is that it's pretty easy now to get spare parts for the outdoor side, and there is a lot of help available on the web on one of the dedicated weather sites

This station comes with a software package to enable PC connect, there's another package available that I think is better, cumulus, do a search for sandaysoft, there's a mountain of very helpful information about Fine Offset and Davis on that site, as the software works with both stations, if you have the right interface device for the Davis, it's not built in as such, the Fine Offset has a USB port on most of their range.

The Davis is undoubtedly higher quality, but depending on where it's set up, it may still not be fit and forget, some maintenance may be needed.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Ive done some more looking today and im now thinking of this http://www.skyview.co.uk/acatalog/WS2350.html?gclid=COrL3eC4rrwCFaSy2wodVBIA8g Im not sure if its worth spending €500ish on a Davis for what il be doing, i wont be forcasting on a website just using it for my own use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

A bit expensive but wireless and hip with smartphones the world over. More of an environment monitoring station but future model will sport rain gauge..

http://www.netatmo.com

http://www.netatmo.com/weathermap

• Registered Users Posts: 9,258 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I have the maplin/ fine offset station N96FY, and I am running it with Cumulus software. So far I've left my PC running, but it does seem a bit of a waste. Any reason I should keep it on, rather than turn it off and then let it catch up when I start up again? Am I losing data by doing that? For the moment at least, I'm not using it to up date a website or send tweets or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I have the maplin/ fine offset station N96FY, and I am running it with Cumulus software. So far I've left my PC running, but it does seem a bit of a waste. Any reason I should keep it on, rather than turn it off and then let it catch up when I start up again? Am I losing data by doing that? For the moment at least, I'm not using it to up date a website or send tweets or anything.

No need to leave computer running, i might only update once a week. You won't lose any data.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Anyone got problems with the touchscreen on the n96fy? Does it take time to recognise your fingers or what :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Hi,

I am looking for a good quality weather station which would give a history of barometric pressure over a period of time, plus the obvious, temperature, air humidity etc.
    I have to admit, I'm not a weather enthusiast, but I suffer from migraines and one of the triggers definitely seems to be changes in barometric pressure, especially when it's going down.
    Price up to 100 euro is enough but I don't want to go for the cheapest low quality stuff - we had a few and the last one ended up breaking, emitting a nerve-wrecking high pitch sound till I literally smashed it to pieces as the battery was impossible to remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Has anyone running their own weather station for over a year now got any of their instruments recalibrated? Is that even possible with personal weather stations?

Has anyone running their own weather station for over a year now got any of their instruments recalibrated? Is that even possible with personal weather stations?

It is possible in the software.

I use rain gauges as well for reference, along with the official Met Eireann past weather report I monitor my guages and adjust them if I think they are over or under recording.

I've recent deliberately misalignment my own station as it was consistency recording the wrong wind direction on average.

I also added in the highest pressure as the absolute pressure and my pressure reading now match my local airport.

OT [Davis Stations, especially the pro variety can be sent away for calibration, indeed they need a yearly calibration certificate to contribute to some weather services, this is about a three week turnaround and approx €200 plus shipping.]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Red Nissan wrote: »
    It is possible in the software.

I use rain gauges as well for reference, along with the official Met Eireann past weather report I monitor my guages and adjust them if I think they are over or under recording.

I've recent deliberately misalignment my own station as it was consistency recording the wrong wind direction on average.

I also added in the highest pressure as the absolute pressure and my pressure reading now match my local airport.

OT [Davis Stations, especially the pro variety can be sent away for calibration, indeed they need a yearly calibration certificate to contribute to some weather services, this is about a three week turnaround and approx €200 plus shipping.]
    Calibration is an expensive and time consuming business indeed.

Do you use the converted sea level pressure to compare to the airport values, just out of interest?

Have you tried doing anything with your temp and humidity sensors? Not so easy at all for them

Advertisement