Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will Britain piss off and get on with Brexit II (mod warning in OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

According to The Telegraph trade negotiations with the US will start in the next two weeks.

This is really good news. Good progress in these discussions would put the UK in a good place both in respect to US trade but also in showing that it is serious about moving to a more global focus for trade.

Remember this is the US that reopened NAFTA because they wanted more and threatened both Canada and Mexico.

That pulled out of the Paris Accord and tore up the Iran deal.

But yeah, sure, they are going to give a wounded and under pressure UK a good deal.

Dream on. Negotiations with the US before they get even close to a deal with the EU is a recipe for disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

So far I don't think the US are demanding any more than what the EU are. It's good to start discussing with them. Liberalising trade with the US would be good for Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

So far I don't think the US are demanding any more than what the EU are. It's good to start discussing with them. Liberalising trade with the US would be good for Britain.

It will be, but there are people that read "US UK trade deal" and in their head get crazy ideas about the NHS being sold to private companies, chlorinated chicken and high fructose corn syrup becoming staples of the UK diet. Completely unrealistic changes ofcourse but doesnt halt a good scare mongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

It will be, but there are people that read "US UK trade deal" and in their head get crazy ideas about the NHS being sold to private companies, chlorinated chicken and high fructose corn syrup becoming staples of the UK diet. Completely unrealistic changes ofcourse but doesnt halt a good scare mongering.

People will believe all sorts, esp remainers.

If I hear another Irish person who thinks that Ireland can just stop the EU drive for tax harmonisation ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/uk-lays-down-red-line-for-brexit-trade-talks-1.4183249?mode=amp

UK is laying down it's red lines.

Funny that we have seen them time and again cross their own red lines, or sack the lad who set them and let his replacement cross them.

• Advertisement

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/uk-lays-down-red-line-for-brexit-trade-talks-1.4183249?mode=amp

UK is laying down it's red lines.

Funny that we have seen them time and again cross their own red lines, or sack the lad who set them and let his replacement cross them.
    will not accept any demands from Brussels that Britain aligns with EU regulations on issues such as the environment, labour law and state aid, as a price for securing a free trade agreement.

To be fair those seem pretty reasonable 'red lines' and actually means its not a brexit in name only.

Perfectly fine to start discussing with them, but since they have no idea what areas they are looking to target since they have no idea what the impact of Brexit will be, how are they going to do it?

The aim of a trade deal is to increase trade and to give way on some areas in return for increased access in others. But the UK have no idea what shape their industry will be in.

Should they target auto production to make up for the expected loss from Brexit? And what do they give in return since this is an area the US very much wants to move back to the US?

So they are starting negotiations without having any idea what they want, what they can afford to give. And the US have no need to be anything but welcoming. Whatever about the EU, a UK without a trade deal with the EU really is facing a US holding all the cards.

It is only being done because Johnson needs to have something, anything with 'Trade Deal' written on it to be seen to have won.

So what are the lines that the UK will have on a trade deal? Have they set them out in a document yet?

Because I haven't seen it, and I don't think it exists, so how to you know that stuff won't happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

A few straws in the wind suggest that UK is cooling on the idea of a UK:US trade deal, at least as the glorious centrepiece of Brexit.

1. Government ministers have stopped banging on about a US trade deal, in the way they used to. They have gone very quiet on the subject - in marked contrast to all that is being said about an EU trade deal. This tends to confirm what the critics of Brexit have said all along - that the relationship with the EU is far more important to the UK than the relationship with the US; it is notable that the government has stopped resisting this narrative.

2. The UK has delayed (again) the publication of its negotiating objectives for the trade deal with the US (which by all accounts were pretty much ready last September). And they have delayed a trip by Johnson to the US (which he is expected to use as a platform to launch the trade talks). They don’t seem to want to start and, obvs, the longer they put off starting the longer it will before they get a deal.

3. The Huawei decision has pissed off the US, and the UK knew it would but made the decision anyway. What this tells us is that HMG prioritises its domestic agenda (speedy rollout of 5G, upgrade of UK’s telecommunications network) over the relationship with US. (Just as it prioritises its domestic agenda over the relationship with the EU.)

4. This helps to explain why they might be cooling on a US trade deal; the US will certainly make demands in that deal that would be problematic for the domestic agenda.

5. All this faffing about by cabinet members on will-we won’t-we honour our commitments in the NI protocol plays very badly in the US - not so much with the Trump administration but in Congress, who need to be on board for any trade deal. The fact that this doesn’t seem to deter them suggests cabinet isn’t really bothered about obstacles to the ratification of a US:UK trade deal.

6. Also, I think Tories were a bit taken aback at the amount of traction which concerns about the US trade deal found in the general election campaign - NHS worries, food standards worries, pharmaceutical worrries. Issue here is not how well-founded these worries are, but whether HMG wants to have to deal with them at the same time as dealing with what looks to be shaping up as a fairly rocky exit from the Single Market later this year.

7. HMG’s own modelling suggests that no US trade deal will do very much at all to alleviate the impact of leaving the Single Market (especially without an EU trade deal, if that is what happens). They might prefer to have the prospect of a US trade deal, enabling them to promise good things in due time to make up for all this pain, rather than an actual trade deal, revealed to be a bust.

Tl;dr: I think for the UK government the US trade deal has been moved to the back burner. Even on the most optimistic view it’s not such a great thing for the UK, and it doesn’t suit them to acknowledge or expose that right now. Trump does want something quickly, but can probably be gratified with a limited, sector-specific deal with minimal content that can be hailed as the greatest deal in the entire history of ever.

How has it been moved to the back burner if negotiations are starting in two weeks?

• Advertisement

How has it been moved to the back burner if negotiations are starting in two weeks?
    While Sky News is saying that "Prime Minister Boris Johnson is ready to begin trade talks with the US within the coming fortnight, according to a report", they don't say who is reporting this. The Financial Times, meanwhile, states that "There is still no formal date for the beginning of the talks", and adds that "The White House, Treasury and US trade representative declined to comment". So I wouldn't be rushing to accept the Sky report at face value.

If talks do start soon, it doesn't look to me as if they are going to be very serious talks at this stage. They'll been decoupled from Johnson's US visit, which suggests a political downgrading. More to the point, though, the UK has still to adopt its negotiating objectives, and starting talks less than two weeks after doing so would mean starting talks at a time when key UK stakeholders have yet to digest or buy into the UK government's position - a point which would not be lost on the US negotiators, who are experienced at this kind of thing.

Plus, as pointed out above, if the UK were serious about getting stuck into trade negotiations with the US, this would be a really bad time to make the Huawei decision they have just made, or to start raising doubts about their willingness to comply with the treaty they have just made regarding the Irish border. The timing of the Huawei decision is maybe forced on them by circumstances, but the latter shot-in-the-foot seems to be entirely unforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭volchitsa

To be fair those seem pretty reasonable 'red lines' and actually means its not a brexit in name only.

But they're meaningless if the UK wants a trade deal. They aren't going to get a deal if they're wanting to export goods to the EU that don't respect EU regulations. So since everywhere in the Uk has already been following those regulations, it makes more sense for them to continue doing so - it's by far the easiest way to facilitate such a deal.

volchitsa wrote: »
    But they're meaningless if the UK wants a trade deal. They aren't going to get a deal if they're wanting to export goods to the EU that don't respect EU regulations. So since everywhere in the Uk has already been following those regulations, it makes more sense for them to continue doing so - it's by far the easiest way to facilitate such a deal.
    This. Brexit has always been about the tradeoff between advantageous trade terms and regulatory autonomy, and those who campaigned for Brexit on the basis that it would lead to "the easiest trade deal in history" were presumably indicating that they would prioritise advantageous trade terms over regulatory autonomy - a rational and defensible choice, and certaintly not "Brexit in name only".

They never said EU non compliant goods, sure look at chinese sweat shop labour conditions, riding roughshod over environmental rules and communist totalitarian control , yet they make goods to CE standards, get the stamp and its all good for import.

And before anyone starts im not saying the UK is about to become a sweatshop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

IDS calls for experts, with no hint of irony.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/iain-duncan-smith-calls-for-experts-on-brexit-1-6528371

(IDS is the genius who declared "Britain has had enough of experts")

Anyone who wants to read a rational, well-argued analysis of Brexit-related issues, rather than the bloke down the pub what I reckoning and flag-waving nonsense spouted by the usual suspects on here, take a look at Chris Grey's blog. Only Tony Connelly measures up in terms of the consistent excellence of their analyses.

https://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com/2020/02/zersetzung-brexit.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

davedanon wrote: »
    IDS calls for experts, with no hint of irony.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/iain-duncan-smith-calls-for-experts-on-brexit-1-6528371

(IDS is the genius who declared "Britain has had enough of experts")

That was Michael Gove.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

That was Michael Gove.

So it was, my bad. Both leading Brexiters, though.

Anyone who wants to read a rational, well-argued analysis of Brexit-related issues, rather than the bloke down the pub what I reckoning and flag-waving nonsense spouted by the usual suspects on here, take a look at Chris Grey's blog. Only Tony Connelly measures up in terms of the consistent excellence of their analyses.

https://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com/2020/02/zersetzung-brexit.html

I had a quick read, he doesn't draw any conclusions. Lots of "multiple interpretation" vagueries about his analysis.

No doubt he's a smart man who can write prose, but no real insight.

So it was, my bad. Both leading Brexiters, though.

His point here:
    "We are up against the EU and the EU has been negotiating trade deals for 40 years. So we need to make sure we draw upon the talents of anybody that has skills in this area".

They're sunk. They have 9 months to make a trade deal and no one to make it. Up against experienced negotiators.

• Advertisement

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    I had a quick read, he doesn't draw any conclusions. Lots of "multiple interpretation" vagueries about his analysis.

No doubt he's a smart man who can write prose, but no real insight.

Conclusions? How can you expect anyone to draw conclusions about a process that has barely started? Grey has been blogging about Brexit since the start, and he and Tony Connelly have been top-class commentators on the whole sorry mess.

If there are better analysts out there, please do point them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Padre_Pio wrote:
    His point here: "We are up against the EU and the EU has been negotiating trade deals for 40 years. So we need to make sure we draw upon the talents of anybody that has skills in this area".

They have been trying to entice people out of retirement and recruit experienced negotiators from as far away as Singapore and New Zealand

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

According to The Telegraph trade negotiations with the US will start in the next two weeks.

This is really good news. Good progress in these discussions would put the UK in a good place both in respect to US trade but also in showing that it is serious about moving to a more global focus for trade.

Indeed but the trade deal has to go before Congress and then be agreed upon by congress. There's bipartisan support of the Good Friday agreement on both sides of the house. A trade deal would likely be dead in the water if Boris tried to get around checks in the Irish sea. Also even if the UK did get a trade deal, it would get shafted. They'd be accepting lower standard agricultural products.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Defra confirms it will give less money to farmers in the UK. Ah well at least we can dispel the myth that the EU money will be replaced by the Tory party.

https://www.fwi.co.uk/news/farm-policy/defra-confirms-reductions-in-support-for-farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Let's accept, for a moment, the idea that this is "good news" and will move the UK's focus more towards global trade: now what would you, as a supporter of Brexit and enthusiastic supporter of this move, like to see as the top five items being the subject of such a trade deal? Preferably with figures showing the net cost/benefit to the UK over a period of your choice. (Serious request)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

The torys are an uncaring bunch and the telegraph prints stories which are bizarre and inaccurate to say the least.I'm puzzled as to why someone like yourself who is obviously intelligent and judging by your other interests a caring person holds both in high regard?

RobMc59 wrote: »
    The torys are an uncaring bunch and the telegraph prints stories which are bizarre and inaccurate to say the least.I'm puzzled as to why someone like yourself who is obviously intelligent and judging by your other interests a caring person holds both in high regard?

I voted Conservative to break the political deadlock over Brexit rather simply. It's a decision I'm yet to regret.

As for the Telegraph, I don't hold it in particularly high regard. I quote the Guardian here much more often if you read through my posts.

Finally I don't know why I can't be caring, intelligent and a Tory voter all in one? :)

They never said EU non compliant goods, sure look at chinese sweat shop labour conditions, riding roughshod over environmental rules and communist totalitarian control , yet they make goods to CE standards, get the stamp and its all good for import.
    They are not all good for import. They are subject to tariffs, quotas and other restrictions. That's the point. If they wanted a trade deal to reduce or elminate tariffs and quotas, then the concerns you mention would certainly be on the table.
    And before anyone starts im not saying the UK is about to become a sweatshop
    The question is not whether the UK is about to become a sweatshop. The question is whether it will lower labour, environmental, state aid etc standards, and thereby expose EU producers, who have to comply with these standards, to unfair competition if they have a tariff free, quota free trade deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Peregrinus wrote:
    They are not all good for import. They are subject to tariffs, quotas and other restrictions. That's the point. If they wanted a trade deal to reduce or elminate tariffs and quotas, then the concerns you mention would certainly be on the table.

Correct. If the UK wants the same level of access to the EU market they enjoyed while part of it, will have to comply with EU terms.
    Peregrinus wrote:
    The question is not whether the UK is about to become a sweatshop. The question is whether it will lower labour, environmental, state aid etc standards, and thereby expose EU producers, who have to comply with these standards, to unfair competition if they have a tariff free, quota free trade deal.

The same standards must be applied to the places the UK import from. The EU is not giving them an open back door to their market.

They can still do business in the EU but it will be on third party terms, with all that that entails - quotas, tariffs and border controls.

And unless goods pass EU quality/health/safety standards, they don't get in at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Isn't one of the big sticking points the EU pushing for dynamic allignment rather than the level playing field in the political declaration.

So I am not sure that point works particularly well

Advertisement