Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Airport Bus Service Changes

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

koutoubia wrote: »
    Onboard the drivers can take most contactless payments but not swipe.Chip and pin as well.

It is fair enough for most Europeans, but you will run into lots of issues with this with folks from the US. Most don't have pin and chip, they have chip and signature over there instead and contactless isn't very common either. They are weirdly way behind the times when it comes to financial tech.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Little Tip on Dublin Express
    If you buy your ticket through nationalexpress.com you can get a return for £7 + £1 booking fee, which is roughly €9.40.

Currently the same trip will cost you €12 on the Dublin Express site.

Book here:
    https://www.nationalexpress.com/en/airports/dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭belfast stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

bk wrote: »
    It is fair enough for most Europeans, but you will run into lots of issues with this with folks from the US. Most don't have pin and chip, they have chip and signature over there instead and contactless isn't very common either. They are weirdly way behind the times when it comes to financial tech.

If the ticket offices can process such payments they can buy a return ticket.

• Advertisement

Dublin Express Routes 782/783/784
    The timetables and route maps for Dublin Express are now showing on the TFI Journey Planner.
    https://www.journeyplanner.transportforireland.ie/nta/XSLT_SELTT_REQUEST?itdLPxx_page=ttb&language=en

Route 785 (Clontarf - Raheny - Coolock - Clare Hall - Airport)
    What looks like a proposed timetable for the 785 is now showing on the TFI Journey planner
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=503537&stc=1&d=1582359754

No idea of a start date for this service at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

devnull wrote: »
    What looks like a proposed timetable for the 785 is now showing on the TFI Journey planner
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=503537&stc=1&d=1582359754

Thanks for that. Looks like they couldn't have chosen a worse timetable for my 08:30 to 17:00 workday if they tried.

785 Route
    Bear in mind this is just something that it is posted on the NTA Timetable, it's not been announced, there's been no official word on it etc. It's very much subject to change so don't take it as gospel.

There's no start date as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Mr.S wrote: »
    Any word if Dublin Express will offer discounted "staff" fares for the airport? This 785 route would be ideal for my OH but not at cost price obviously.
    We have been told yes for DAA staff...but it definitley needs to be confirmed.
    Just remember DX have no stops between city centre and Airport
    Bear in mind this is just something that it is posted on the NTA Timetable, it's not been announced, there's been no official word on it etc. It's very much subject to change so don't take it as gospel.
    I fully see timetable changes on DX after it has ' bedded' in!

We have been told yes for DAA staff...but it definitley needs to be confirmed.

There will be - I believe it was required as part of the tender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The timetables and route maps for Dublin Express are now showing on the TFI Journey Planner.
    https://www.journeyplanner.transportforireland.ie/nta/XSLT_SELTT_REQUEST?itdLPxx_page=ttb&language=en

Are we looking at Two different operators here ?

Dublin Express and Express Bus

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Are we looking at Two different operators here ?

Dublin Express and Express Bus

The licences for 782/783/784 are held by Express Bus too and they are the Dubbin Express Routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Interesting that if you want to write to them you need to send a letter to the UK and if you want to ask for assistance you have to speak to their team which is in Birmingham. Suggests they are not going to have a presence of their own in Ireland for customer support and everything will go through NX HQ.
    Interesting. having a local point of presence for customer support should be the kind of thing NTA should require of licensees for national services, if legal to so do.

dowlingm wrote: »
    Interesting. having a local point of presence for customer support should be the kind of thing NTA should require of licensees for national services, if legal to so do.

The set-up is somewhat convoluted.

- The Dublin Express brand is owned by National Express
    - The vehicles and drivers appear to be being supplied by Bernard Kavanagh.
    - The owner of the licenses appears to be Express Bus Limited (Not NX/BK)
    - The lost property is outsourced to the lost property company in the airport.
    - All of the customer facing roles are being recruited for by Sigmar.

I haven't seen a local MD job be advertised and the person who is apparently the MD of National Express Ireland is also the commercial director for National Express in the UK, which gives me the idea maybe he is doing it as dual job rather than them having a full-time MD based in Ireland.

I am sure that there will be DX staff at the airport, although whether their employer is National Express or Sigmar remains to be seen. It does seem that they are doing an awful lot of contracting and treating this as a bolt on of their UK service with very little of their own staff based in Ireland. It's a different model to Aircoach, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

https://www.dublinexpress.ie/images/DublinExpress_timetable.pdf

That is the official link to their new timetable on their website

From their website;

"Can I buy a ticket from the driver?
    Yes* you can, however this will be subject to availability as services may be full with pre booked customers, so it is always advisable to purchase your ticket in advance.

If you would like to purchase a ticket from our drivers, please be aware of the following:

Drivers can accept card only."

This is interesting...

It has been discussed earlier in the thread!

It has been discussed earlier in the thread!

Just spotted that, answered a few more of my questions as well!

Interesting they are not advertising you can travel with cash and pay at the destination when heading airport bound.

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    Just spotted that, answered a few more of my questions as well!

Interesting they are not advertising you can travel with cash and pay at the destination when heading airport bound.

I think that part of this is related to NX treating their Dublin operation as a bolt on to their UK operations rather than an operator in it's own right. The fact that the MD is the commercial director of their UK operation as part of his role rather than having a local MD and also having no CS team here backs that up.

In the UK NX have a very high percentage of people who would be booking in advance. There would be very little people paying on the day and even less from the city to an airport and I assume that NX feel this won't be an issue in Ireland as they are thinking like a UK consumer rather than an Irish one. They probably want to discourage cash payers.

They probably think there will be minimal people doing it so it won't be a problem but even on Aircoach today, who accept online tickets, contactless and mtickets, you still see a fair amount of people paying in cash in the city centre so NX I doubt won't be much difference.

Not allowing drivers to handle cash appears to be a desire to either keep cash out of the hands of the contracted drivers or avoid carrying cash, for whatever reason.

I also noted a post earlier stating that they will take the free travel pass, this is incorrect. I have had a direct conversation with them via the Facebook page and they state that they will not accept it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I had a look at the timetable for the Clontarf to Airport via Raheny route. Is it envisaged that the bus will be picking up at other stops on the route or ONLY those listed? Seems strange to me that there is no routing via Killester or if it is going along the coast, it is giving half of its catchment area to the sea and St. Anne's park for that section, and still no stop at Vernon Ave.?

Maybe I am missing something. Also the running time of 31 minutes is quite ambitious, traffic can be quick slow on certain parts of that route and there is a lack of bus lanes for some parts too.

It will still be great to see it happening, but I would allow a minimum of 40 minutes for this run.

Mr.S wrote: »
    The same on their city centre routes. On paper it's possible but in reality, not a hope.

They have been told by those who live/work/use the M1 corrider-tunnel - CC
    that the times are at best hopeful. They have also done a dummy run to see for themselves.
    They will have to 'adapt' the service as it settles in.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

that the times are at best hopeful. They have also done a dummy run to see for themselves.

Flashbacks to Summer 2018 and us telling GA management that the times and interworking were aspirational at best.

The key in all of this is who are "They" ?

Invariably an owner or operator will want to maximize the Drivers productive day,and equally invariably,this introduces a certain conflict between accounting and operating norms.

One "Dummy Run" would never be enough,and just cannot even begin to cater for the issues which arise daily in Dublin City's Traffic (Non) Management scenario.

This is before we deal with the great Travelling Public and their huge variety of needs,expectations and entitlements.

Best of Luck with your involvement and keep her lit !! :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

The times do look a bit optimistic, it has to be said.

In other news, Aircoach have took delivery recently of 5x 2020 Plaxton Panther 3s which should see off the last of the Tri-axle vehicles in their fleet which is sad as the older coaches have better seats and more leg-room.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    The key in all of this is who are "They" ?
    As far as I can tell its no one in this country, as has been pointed out earlier

Invariably an owner or operator will want to maximize the Drivers productive day,and equally invariably,this introduces a certain conflict between accounting and operating norms.
    I really dont want to comment too much on this.

One "Dummy Run" would never be enough,and just cannot even begin to cater for the issues which arise daily in Dublin City's Traffic (Non) Management scenario.
    From , I believe , Thursday onwards reality of travelling times will come blindingly obvious.

This is before we deal with the great Travelling Public and their huge variety of needs,expectations and entitlements.
    Just to clarify we have been instructed that the Free Travel Pass WILL BE ACCEPTED.We have been given other instructions but I wont go into it here and have said to my manager that the social media accounts need to be updated.

Best of Luck with your involvement and keep her lit !! :D
    Thank You

Answers in bold above.....

Answers in bold above.....

Fair play for the responses :)

The reality of the Dublin Airport (and environs) situation is the huge potential for service improvement across the board in ALL forms of access to the place.

So Dublin Express's arrival will not result in the total collapse of Airlink,Aircoach or any other Aer in the parish...there remains room for expansion and improvement for every segment.

That said,the old adage of "Fail to prepare-Prepare to Fail" still stands.

My fear would be that somewhere deep within the bowels of this operation lurks a "Virtual" scenario,as in overall top-down planning emanating from a Laptop deep in Northern England and powered by Google.

Possibly the single greatest aid to a Drivers performance is CLARITY...of purpose,of intent and of operation.

If a Driver is confident of their role,position and support then that driver can self-confidently do their job.

Remove any one strand of that Clarity and you set the scene for indecision,error and inefficiency.

With any luck,and appreciation,the Dublin Express situation will clarify and firm up before the startup leaving the front-line staff well prepared to do their stuff,but be very certain that it is the DRIVER who will be the first (and often ONLY) interface that a Customer will interact with.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

For the benefit of Aircoach customers walking from T2 to zone 11 from next week....

I was dropped off at T2 for the last time this week and had time to do a recce to find where I will be picking up up my bus next week in zone 11.

My advice is to not use the glass walkway at ground level and don’t even bother crossing the glass bridge from T2 arrivals. Instead, go straight down to the Aer Lingus check-in area on the ground floor, then exit the building, turn left and walk over to the white car park building, keeping it on your left. As soon as you reach the point where people exit from T1, do a right across just one section of zebra crossing, then turn right and you’ll find Zone 11.

Yesterday (Tue 25th), it wasn’t even signed but a helpful DAA guide showed me where it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Air Coach saying on their Facebook page that they will still drop off at T2, pickups only from T1

• Advertisement

Air Coach saying on their Facebook page that they will still drop off at T2, pickups only from T1

Indeed, which directly contradicts what they said on Facebook earlier, too :)

Advertisement