Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The kickstarter adventures of Sólás - solaswatches.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭893bet

Exceptional! When do you expect these will be available?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Honestly it is hard to say currently - my previous plans were of June and July for kickstarter campaigns and November delivery... well the virus situation has potentially pushed all this back. The review watches for example were supposed to be in-hand mid-January - but maybe it was karma - without the delay I wouldn't have had the time to meet the Irish strap-maker :)

Want to do the right thing by my Chinese partners too - they must be hurting badly after having had their factories closed for 1-2 months and still not fully up and running again yet - so definitely want to launch the campaign this year - delivery might need to be pushed back into 2021 though.

Edit:
    And adding in one more win/win
    Great for the Irish guy too because at this price level I can make the choice to implement this across the board and give him a 300+ order instead of a higher price requiring add-on orders which could be 1-300 - he gets a guaranteed order from me and funds/work during the "off-peak" summer months.

We're both pretty excited by the prospects as you can tell.

Will provide an update after more things are sorted out.

What a difference a month can make...

Definitely didin't expect to be posting an update from my home at this time. Well it's gone from helping out Irish/Chinese partners during a summer "lull" to trying to provide proper work for my Irish leather partner during this cliff drop of sales. Thankfully my Chinese factory partner is doing ok - I've heard that some of the guangdong watch factories who manufacture OEM products for some well-known brands had to close/lay people off as the orders from those brands have just stopped. Incidently I see my pension growth has been wiped out :pac: (But that's small biscuits in the context of things).

From all indications this will be a bigger recession/potential depression than 2008. Absolutely the best time to launch a new watch brand eh? :) - but I have confidence in the product and it's also about not leaving partners high and dry (the factory probably don't care about +-300-500 orders but for an independent leather maker 300 orders could be rather substantial when all business has stopped elsewhere...

Anyway - this isn't a doom and gloom update. Instead I think it's all rather positive on the actual brand front. We've gone back and reworked some elements to make sure we're 100% happy with the quality of what we'll be producing - with this different economic climate I think delivering quality for the price will be an even more key focus for the brand.

So with that - let's deliver some good news - a preview of the strap (and an interesting "Easter egg" of sorts:
    507104.jpeg

Having discussed with my leather partner about how we can identify the strap as a Sólás (and Irish) one we settled on marking the outside of the horween leather with the Sólás circle...but this isn't intended to be a flashy "show our branding/F1 car" style of branding - instead with the deployant clasp chosen - the tip of the band should be hidden almost all of the time and the branding will only be seen if the owner ever fully removes the strap from the clasp. A little Easter egg for owners to know that the circle is there :)

Keep in mind the photo above is a camera phone shot - just a behind the scenes sneak preview - the commercial shots will be a lot more "wow" hopefully ;)

Hope all are keeping safe.

Another update!

Managed to update the website - solaswatches.com - with more info on the Irish watch strap and post up some temporary photos. My supplier (Robin from Turas Leather) also gave me a blurb to put up explaining his background in leather and how his company was set up.

Now just waiting for delivery of the production sample in a week or two. It's getting pretty real now. :)

Next step is to perform a quick self-check and then send off for reviews. Afterwards it's launching the kickstarter itself :) So maybe still possible for June/July campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Another update!

Managed to update the website - solaswatches.com - with more info on the Irish watch strap and post up some temporary photos. My supplier (Robin from Turas Leather) also gave me a blurb to put up explaining his background in leather and how his company was set up.

Now just waiting for delivery of the production sample in a week or two. It's getting pretty real now. :)

Next step is to perform a quick self-check and then send off for reviews. Afterwards it's launching the kickstarter itself :) So maybe still possible for June/July campaign.

Fair play, that looks good.
    Clean and simple.

You might want to remove the promts though:
    [insert Kickstarter link]
    They just look untidy.

Love the back story retelling.

• Advertisement

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Fair play, that looks good.
    Clean and simple.

You might want to remove the promts though:
    [insert Kickstarter link]
    They just look untidy.

Love the back story retelling.

Very good point - you guys are still just seeing the "behind the scenes" portion though. A lot of the photos, links etc will be tidied/changed once I get the production models in hand and the reviewing process begins.

The site is still in soft launch mode and the more feedback the better - the links for example will definitely be in place by the time I send the watches out for review. So it's more a bold highlight to remind myself to pick them up before the official launch :)

For example another thing I will be putting in photos of the actual movements in actual production models when demonstrating the unique aspects of the watch and not test model 1.01 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Very good point - you guys are still just seeing the "behind the scenes" portion though. A lot of the photos, links etc will be tidied/changed once I get the production models in hand and the reviewing process begins.

The site is still in soft launch mode and the more feedback the better - the links for example will definitely be in place by the time I send the watches out for review. So it's more a bold highlight to remind myself to pick them up before the official launch :)

For example another thing I will be putting in photos of the actual movements in actual production models when demonstrating the unique aspects of the watch and not test model 1.01 :D

I've really enjoyed following your story, can't wait to get my hands on one.

Production sample has been assembled (some tweaks will still be made prior to production) but this is what is going out to reviewers as it is 98% what I intend to come out of the factory come 2021 - (caseback screwed down, though actually friction fit has a charm about it too with the smoothness - it's not a diver after all). These are cameraphone photos straight from China and won't be going up on the site since I'll be taking my own shots in a lightbox etc. - we're currently sending off one sample for some glamour video shots and the other one is running timing tests.

All things going well should have the watches in hand in around 2 weeks time (though my producer tells me that understandably shipping is delayed due to the reduced flights). After which will be pairing it up with the Irish straps and then sending out to people to give their views on it (good or bad).

Oh and have one last exciting thing which can't be revealed as of yet since we are still working on it - but suffice it to say - besides the standard starlight model, I'm keen to make a "halo" model that will be pretty unique (as in, only one will be sold).

510528.jpg

510529.jpg

510530.jpg

510531.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭banie01

TF, it is stunning!
    The dial detail really pops, honestly wishing you all the very best with this!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Very nice indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Looks fantastic! Out of interest, does anything else need to be tweaked for the micro rotor e.g. is it denser than normal to give it more inertia?

Yes - from what I understand (and one problem movement makers had in making these) is that with the smaller rotor it's harder to keep the movement wound. Seagull for example had a microrotor in the works but apart from using a gold rotor in their minute repeater tourbillon watch, haven't released the movement for normal use due to problems with winding power/transmission.

Patek uses 24 carat gold in their microrotors... I believe with the Solas movement you get 24 carat...tungsten ;) - I guess it wouldn't be safe to use lead or say depleted uranium :pac: . Don't quote me on the tungsten though - I do know it probably isn't standard steel since that's a little too light.

While I'm not sure of the material - I do know for certain that normal wearing of the Starlight keeps the movement wound without any issues (having worn this watch on and off for half a year now). I've asked the manufacturer this anyway - will let people know what they respond with.

Some of the other changes needed for a microrotor is that the positioning of the gears need to change/the whole movement is different from the average 2824 for example since the rotor is sitting beside the wheels and not above it. So that's why you kinda get a 3/4 plate vibe visually with the bonus of auto-winding. So again it's something that movement manufacturers need to account for as they'll need to redesign the movement and not just clone a 2824 (nothing wrong with workhorse that is 2824 though).

24 carat copper - very apt - Pateks get you gold - Solas gets you bronze(ish) (copper zinc alloy = bronze).

Copper is still quite a bit denser than stainless steel though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

What about a brass rotor TF? Have you taken one apart yet? Looks really good, well done so far. It looks like shipping will be a headache, maybe you could get in touch with someone in aer lingus going over for PPE:pac:.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

I think brass is copper and zinc too - to be honest it's not something we can easily change i.e. we just get the rotors as made by the manufacturer, it would be quite expensive to have your own rotors cast and made instead of the default one that is chosen by the manufacturer. Even when you say we're putting in a 500 order - to them that may be peanuts and not worth the mold/casting time - for example speaking to An Post business their MOQ for a business account is 1000 packages :/

I haven't dissected a movement yet - they are pricey - similar to swiss movement pricey so I'm reluctant to trash a movement for curiosity's sake (because I don't trust my level of watch engineering to put together this movement once I've taken one apart) - a $10 ebay/aliexpress watch? Sure - it's good fun to disassemble the movement - for the Starlight I'll leave it to the professionals.

My hope is that by late 2020/early 2021 and when the watch is shipping worldwide the issue will be resolved by then. Some of the watch factories in Guangzhou have shifted into PPE production actually - capitalism 101 - follow the market demand I guess (watch demand has fallen off understandably).

edit: and just to add then so it's a balance of deciding where you want to spend more for customised items or things that are available off the shelf (economies of scale) - so for example for the box I said give me something that will protect it in transit and be recyclable once opened - I don't think people will want to add on another 20-50 euro for a fancy box for a 399 watch (I know I prefer simple recyclable packaging with all the watch boxes I have lying around). More money was spent on the strap as I decided (rightly or wrongly) with this new economic climate the average American who may be interested in this watch before might not be if there wasn't more of an Irish connection to the watch. The proof will be in the pudding though - let's see if it gets funded or not :D

...Though even then the box isn't completely barren - it even has foam(!) padding inside :p and embossed logo outside - very luxurious cardboard ;)

The words dogs and bollock spring to mind!

(Gonna try make this the only watch I buy this year).

Have you been in touch with the timeless watch channel?

Not sure if he charges for reviews, don’t think he has ever done an independant.

He seems a good guy and I think as an Irish man in Italy talking about watches he might like this story of a dude from China making an effort with an Irish watxh brand. He has decent YouTube follows and gathering pace.

893bet wrote: »
    The words dogs and bollock spring to mind!

(Gonna try make this the only watch I buy this year).

I recall being confused by some Irish-isms growing up ---- "so you're saying that calling someone a well-groomed lady of the night isn't an insult??? :confused: " (cute-hoor). Dog's bollocks is another...yet dog's dinner is bad - language is fascinating! (aside - I know which one I'd find more appealing if I had to choose between a DB and a DD :D ).
    893bet wrote: »
    Have you been in touch with the timeless watch channel?

Not sure if he charges for reviews, don’t think he has ever done an independant.

He seems a good guy and I think as an Irish man in Italy talking about watches he might like this story of a dude from China making an effort with an Irish watxh brand. He has decent YouTube follows and gathering pace.

I'll definitely get in touch - though my contact criteria previously had been that channels that cover the Rolexs and Omegas probably won't be super interested in something as lowly as a X00 price point watch (but perhaps the Irish connection might pique his interest). But maybe he could be interested in covering this from an angle of "well a Rolex is obviously superior to these cheaper microbrands - but maybe not by as much as you might think" etc. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The watch is smaller than I typically wear, and I am not one for the dressier watches. But I am absolutely going to back the campaign when it's live and get me one!

It looks absolutely class. I hope that people recognise the uniqueness of the dial and the movement etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That looks great. Sorry if it’s been covered on thread, but what does the name mean?

• Advertisement

Eoin wrote: »
    The watch is smaller than I typically wear, and I am not one for the dressier watches. But I am absolutely going to back the campaign when it's live and get me one!

It looks absolutely class. I hope that people recognise the uniqueness of the dial and the movement etc.

Thanks for the support! - I think you might find that on the wrist it will wear larger than 38mm - I think it's down to the bezel/dial ratio - this isn't a dive watch so the dial is almost all of the 38mm. When I first got one of the 38mm samples I had to remeasure to make sure it wasn't a 42mm width - I think you would get similar amount of dial "real estate" on this 38mm as you would on a 42mm diver.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    That looks great. Sorry if it’s been covered on thread, but what does the name mean?

There was quite a bit of thought put into the name actually - the story is up there on the website solaswatches.com but here's an expanded background to it - sólás is Irish for "solace" - lawyers love word play - sol "sun" ace "no.1" was one (minor) subliminal consideration/easter egg :pac: - the key factor was that solace to me represents something that is warm, nurturing, yet with a tinge of sadness (I mention on the website that this was a project that I started when a family illness prompted me to start trying out a "dream" of mine - having my own watch design made that I could be proud of and share with others.) I feel that Irishness (at least our cultural music/poetry/literature can often be classified as a solace of sorts - there's just that tinge of sadness to songs/dances etc.)

As Gaelige it still preserves the "sól" portion which ties in with the celestial theme. My family knows of the various other models I have in mind if the first one succeeds - Sólás Starlight, Eclipse, Twilight - my wife did remark that those names sound like a vampire love story (coincidence I swear!) - she said I just need a Sólás "Breaking Dawn" model :o

It works doubly well in my eyes since solas (without the fadas) means "light" as Gaelige - so the website/average person typing/searching for the brand can still find it and it still makes sense in a watch context.

Having the model name in English is more down to ease of searching - people can search for "solas" easily - but if you start asking them to look up starlight/eclipse/twilight as Gaelige you'll be asking too much I think. For example starlight is "Solas na réaltaí".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Noticed the website still has the gmail account

Are you going to change that to info@solaswatches.com etc

As previously mentioned it would instil more confidence and be more professional.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Noticed the website still has the gmail account

Are you going to change that to info@solaswatches.com etc

As previously mentioned it would instil more confidence and be more professional.

I was going to go into why having a gmail address might be better for people in realising it is a "true" Kickstarter project as in a 1 person part time show - but in the end bit the bullet and got info@solaswatches.com :)

Managing expectations will be key for me (especially when I look at how poor Ross is doing with the Hamtun H2 (and now H3 starting off too with Nanok, H2 all with still outstanding issues) - due to work from home I've been able to have a closer look on the Sólás front but normally I definitely won't be able to respond to 30-40 individual emails a day. I think it'll be helped by the fact that the Starlight is hard limited to around 360 units - can't sell more due to tax reasons.

So it was also why I thought I could convince 360 people to have confidence in a gmail address - but yeah - even better now that there is a info@solaswatches.com address now. Thanks for that push! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I was going to go into why having a gmail address might be better for people in realising it is a "true" Kickstarter project as in a 1 person part time show - but in the end bit the bullet and got info@solaswatches.com :)

Managing expectations will be key for me (especially when I look at how poor Ross is doing with the Hamtun H2 (and now H3 starting off too with Nanok, H2 all with still outstanding issues) - due to work from home I've been able to have a closer look on the Sólás front but normally I definitely won't be able to respond to 30-40 individual emails a day. I think it'll be helped by the fact that the Starlight is hard limited to around 360 units - can't sell more due to tax reasons.

So it was also why I thought I could convince 360 people to have confidence in a gmail address - but yeah - even better now that there is a info@solaswatches.com address now. Thanks for that push! :D

You're going to try squeeze 360 watches into a suitcase aren't you:D:D?

Now I know why the boxes are re-recyclable! They'll all be folded flat on top:cool:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    You're going to try squeeze 360 watches into a suitcase aren't you:D:D?

Now I know why the boxes are re-recyclable! They'll all be folded flat on top:cool:

No no - this will be MsThirdfox:

Wolf-of-Wall-Street-grab.png

First video render is out - it's a draft copy so 360p - I can't wait to get my hands on the raw video file to edit the music and put in some text but it gives a good idea of how the watch looks (under halogen lighting at least) - normally the dial would be more subdued though.

If the unlisted video embed doesn't work please click here:
    https://youtu.be/7N4sgpz-_Mw

My factory partners were eagle eyed and spotted dust on the caseback so they'll be asking for a reshoot. After which I expect the samples to be in my hands by next week.

try this:

[noparse][/noparse]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

That's deadly man. When will you be in a position to, if how best to phrase it... shut up and take our money?! :)

fat bloke wrote: »
    That's deadly man. When will you be in a position to, if how best to phrase it... shut up and take our money?! :)

The first round of kickstarter backing is aimed at start of June/July-ish - depends on when I can get reviews etc. done by people and build awareness of this watch's existence.

People here are getting a sneak peek - since I guess officially the campaign to get this watch off the ground only officially starts when the pre-launch page on Kickstarter is set up. That is still waiting on the photos/videos/reviews - those should be done over the next month or so.

• Advertisement

Apologies for the double post but couldn't resist having a quick play on the video editor just to give people a mock-up of the general idea of how I'm intending to present the watch.

Text hasn't all been added in yet, and music yet to be finalised but it's a good general idea (as long as you're not viewing in full screen - 360p does the watch no favours) of the kind of marketing theme I'm going with. Probably will lower the music volume too - the band is an American Celtic band called Sláinte who have disbanded sadly. I think it fits into the motif of the story/name/feel - feel free to tell me it's too kitsch though!

edit: and obviously it's not yet available on kickstarter yet but when the video is released to the public it will be ;)

Advertisement