Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Anybody going for Christmas rolls in SBG D24 tomorrow?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

How's 2020 treating everyone?
    Anyone heading over to Lisbon next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

eeloe wrote: »
    Anyone heading over to Lisbon next week?

Only as a spectator. My club HQ is in Lisbon so we head there for a bit of a training camp around the time of the euros. Might compete next year.....:rolleyes:

eeloe wrote: »
    2020’s been busy
    Haven’t training this year. A small break for new year and the end of my holiday has been rolled on for 4weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

Hey folks.

Complete new white belt (4weeks in, actually are you even technically a white belt then ?).

Anyways , doing NoGi and very much enjoying it so far. The trainers have been excellent , the other people in the class couldn’t be sounder and everybody helps everybody else it seems.

I’m enjoying some of the movement warm ups that we do a lot, I’m liking doing the drills and like the fact that you always have to be thinking of your next position and what you need to do from it and at same time think defensively and not give up an arm/leg/neck.

I’ve some complete newbie questions ::

Who is considered the best BJJ practitioner in the country and similarly what is considered the best BJJ Gym/academy in the country ?

What tips in general would you give a brand new white belt ?

Is it better to drill “both sides”?
    Seen some say “do it always” and other say “wait till you get better on one side first”

What supplements do you take regularly ? E.G protein , fish oil, spirulina etc ??

Are there any really good NoGi BJJ photo-books that are beneficial to learn from or is trying to learn from books a waste ?

Similarly, are there any good BJJ podcasts or channels YouTube that are really helpful ?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Complete new white belt (4weeks in, actually are you even technically a white belt then ?).
    Absolutely. As soon as you take the first step to starting, you've no the way.
    Who is considered the best BJJ practitioner in the country and similarly what is considered the best BJJ Gym/academy in the country ?
    There's probably a lot of personal opinion in that one. But if you look at the competition scene and the current rankings on IBJJF or AJP. You'll see the guys who are competing and winning at the highest level in Gi and Nogi right now.

Darragh O Conaill, Thomas Halpin, Marcus Phelan, Joey Breslin, Sam McNally.

In female divisions. The top competitor is unquestionable Fionn Davis.

Based on the fact 4 out of those 6 names are from the same gym, I'd say ECJJ is currently the best gym from a black belt competitor point of view.

But competition on only one aspect. Many top practitioners might not being competing currently. Chris Bowe, Tom King, Paul Fox.
    John Kavanagh was the first black belt, so he's the highest ranked in the country.
    What tips in general would you give a brand new white belt ?
    Move less, but move with more precision.
    Stop holding your breath. Relax.
    Go slower. Slow is Smooth. Smooth is fast.
    Is it better to drill “both sides”?
    Seen some say “do it always” and other say “wait till you get better on one side first”
    It's important to be good at techniques on both sides. But they don't have to be the same techniques. And both sides don't have to equally good.
    What supplements do you take regularly ? E.G protein , fish oil, spirulina etc ??
    I have fish oil, magnesium, and glucosamine.
    Don't take them nearly enough.
    Are there any really good NoGi BJJ photo-books that are beneficial to learn from or is trying to learn from books a waste ?
    Jiu Jitsu University.

and if you're training at 10th planet. Eddie Bravos book would be a help.
    Actually, where are you training
    Similarly, are there any good BJJ podcasts or channels YouTube that are really helpful ?
    Stephen Kesting has some good beginner focused content.

Lachlan Giles's channel is gold. Slightly advanced but not crazy.

BJJ Scout is a phenomenal resource for studying top players

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Mellor wrote: »
    Stephen Kesting has some good beginner focused content.

Super advice throughout but just want to add to this part, Stephan is currently giving away a free instructional to anyone who is an organ donor. He seems to do this every so often. His youtube videos are extremely good but the instructional really ties the moves together.

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/B8micwJnpGK/?igshid=1628gjbiei0ci

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Henry Akins hidden jiu jitsu series is brilliant, you have to pay but it's worth it in my opinion. Jiu Jitsu university is great but being honest, I got nothing out of it as a white belt, I went back at purple and loved it.

My advice would be forget about youtube, instructionals, books etc. You will just go off on tangents. Learn the basics in class and the most important thing is to learn to be comfortable at being uncomfortable - this is mainly down to breathing and creating space through frames and not spazzing out.

Focus on defending and maintaining a stable dominant position, when you can adequately defend yourself then you should look at attacking.

Youtube an instructionals are great, but only when you have the basics and are looking to explore the game a bit more. Better to take on board what is being taught at class and roll with some higher belts, if you mess up, ask them what you did wrong and go about making the changes. That will progress your game quicker than any instructional.

When I roll with my students, if they mess up, I'll ask them if they think they did something wrong and let them figure it out, then go back and run the scenario again so they can learn and think for themselves. Likewise if they do something well, I will explain after the roll what they did and how it was the right thing to do when defending/ attacking.
    Darragh O Conaill, Thomas Halpin, Marcus Phelan, Joey Breslin, Sam McNally.

I'd add Tom King, probably Ireland's most decorated BB. Chris Bowe and Kieran Davern also deserve to be on the list.

RoboRat wrote: »
    I'd add Tom King, probably Ireland's most decorated BB. Chris Bowe and Kieran Davern also deserve to be on the list.

I mentioned Tom, Chris and Paul Fox further down. Kieran Davey is a good shout. There’s no shortage of good coaches these days.

Tom Halpin v Imanari

https://www.twitter.com/UFCFightPass/status/1236844075040546816

Imanari opens with an Imanari roll. Tom is prepared, and times his entry to hit a counter heel hook. Sliick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

Everybody’s still rolling ?

I stopped about a week ago , ultra paranoid about picking up something .

Everybody’s still rolling ?

I stopped about a week ago , ultra paranoid about picking up something .

Still rolling. There’s about 100 cases here. But the profile of carriers is more older people and those who have been to China. Which excludes most of the gym.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

The short version:-

Exponential growth, which is a characteristic of this virus, looks deceptively linear in its early stages and unfortunately this is why individuals and policy makers are not good at recognising when it is time to take action... They leave it too late. So yes, we should be maintaining social distancing now (Including stopping BJJ for a few months) now rather than when the caseload has already risen.

The long version:-

I trained on Monday night but to be honest I think I may wave off any more training for a while. Of course I don't want to but it's not just about my personal health but a question of what is the most responsible thing to do.

My personal view is that in order to minimise the chances of the present number of cases growing exponentially as it did in Italy it is reasonable that we should encourage social distance across the board. Maintaining social distance - 1 metre of space - is one of the only things that appears to effectively flatten the curve in terms of rate of transmission in communities.

BJJ is obviously the perfect setting for transmission and although the age demographic involved are statistically not those primarily at risk of serious illness or death, we could be part of the transmission process to family members and the broader community.

In our gym there are people from China, from Italy, people who work with them, people who live with them etc. There is no reason to believe that if community transmission is taking off then anyone in the gym couldn't potentially have mild symptoms and be infectious.

With regard to who has it in the community, I would be cautious of saying it is only older people or those who have been to China. Almost all of our early cases were individuals and families who travelled to Northern Italy. To be frank, it was groups of people skiing and that is reflected in the coverage and cases concerned for the most part. Even the early community transmission cases, which occurred in healthcare settings, seem to have stemmed from a medic who came back and had mild or no symptoms and passed it on.

I think people in general have difficulty thinking exponentially which is why many people don't quite get that this virus' caseload will jump in numbers quickly enough that by the time they decide it is time to take particular action or change their lifestyle then the situation will already be substantially different.

If anyone reads Nicholas Nassim Taleb, he's quite good on explaining why exponential growth looks deceptively linear at the early stages, and how this can wrong foot us in decision making.

Bearing that in mind, I return to the suggestion that encouraging people to learn about and maintain social distance is probably a good thing to encourage now rather than later when the case load has risen tenfold.

In conclusion, I don't think anyone wants to hear this but yes, I think the socially responsible thing to do would be to actually close gyms now.

I feel sorry for gym owners, though, this is going to affect them and indeed broader small businesses (bars, restaurants) in a big way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Yeah I've been wanting to get back training for a while now, work and life has been keeping me away from the gym longer than I was expecting.
    With this virus popping up now, I've decided to avoid the gym until it's under control somewhat, I want to minimise the possibility of transmitting it to someone who is immuno-compromised or is in the older age brackets and susceptible to it.

Pretty sweeping announcements from the government this morning. They're going to capture tournaments (most of them cancelled anyway), large seminars and large affiliation gratings.

No explicit mention of gyms pausing membership and suspending training, but I would suggest it is the responsible thing to do now. If social distancing as a strategy to flatten the curve is worth doing, I see no compelling reason to wait.

Hopefully it is the case that the flexibility promised around lenders and utilities will be there for small businesses over the next few months.

With regard to who has it in the community, I would be cautious of saying it is only older people or those who have been to China. Almost all of our early cases were individuals and families who travelled to Northern Italy. To be frank, it was groups of people skiing and that is reflected in the coverage and cases concerned for the most part.
    Just to clarify, I’m not in Ireland. I was talking about the profile here. It’s mostly people who were in China, or in age care homes.
    If I was in Europe, with lads coming back from Cheltenham or Skiing trips, different story.

JSBJJ and ECJJ closed, correct move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

SBG HQ just announced closing for the month as well a few mins ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Ryano suspended classes this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

What’s the general feeling about stopping rolling?

I decided to stop for a little while this week but feeling a bit unsure about whether it matters or not. My thinking is that there are a lot of younger people there who could have it with little symptoms who I could catch it from and just the general nature of the training seems risky for transmission.

Continuing to strength train but it’s in a large facility with space between people and all equipment being cleaned after each session.

Am I being foolish thinking that not rolling is going to help or delay me getting it?

• Advertisement

CrazySka wrote: »
    What’s the general feeling about stopping rolling?

I decided to stop for a little while this week but feeling a bit unsure about whether it matters or not. My thinking is that there are a lot of younger people there who could have it with little symptoms who I could catch it from and just the general nature of the training seems risky for transmission.

Continuing to strength train but it’s in a large facility with space between people and all equipment being cleaned after each session.

Am I being foolish thinking that not rolling is going to help or delay me getting it?

If somebody is sick in general, a cold, flu etc. They shouldn't be rolling, microorganism are passed very easy in that kind of environment. In this case, I have to imagine transmission is very high.
    Big groups, random people every session, rolling is probably a bad idea.
    Small groups (6 or less), the same people every time. Much safer.

I'll probably continue to work with 2 main partners outside of group classes

This is the one time it's OK to be that guy who just watches a load of BJJ tutorials on YouTube and doesn't go to the gym. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Focus on strength training, mobility work, whatever it is.. BJJ will still be there when this is all over but it is not responsible to continue rolling at the moment in my opinion. 63% jump in case numbers yesterday, folks, this is the exponential element that is going to bite us on the ass unless we take social distancing seriously sooner rather than later.

Bernardo giving away instructionals for free for all the people with gyms closed.

Code is FARIAFREE, it will take $77 off one of his instructionals (pretty much all cost $77)

https://bjjfanatics.com/collections/all/fighter_bernardo-faria

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

It sucks not being able to train, but i guess we can take the little break as a way to let some injuries and niggles heal.

I just hope everyone(or anyone that can afford to) continues to pay their fees, or else there will be no gyms to go back to when this all blows over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I closed up our BJJ classes on the 9th. I didn't want to and the gym owners were happy to keep it running, but I made the decision that there is too much risk.

I am not one for paranoia or donning a tin foil cap, but there was too much about this from the beginning that didn't make sense and had me worried. Quite frankly, I didn't believe what was being reported from China... namely a country not known for its human rights would lock down nearly 200 million people for under 3,000 deaths at the time. Considering China were, prior to the outbreak, heading into their first recession in 20 odd years, this completely went in the face of rationality. I had a feeling that it was far worse.

I am happy that I made that decision becuase this virus is deadly and passed very easily.The mortality rate is now at 8%, it was just under 6% when I closed up, and this number has been rising every day, and will continue to rise as the hospitals get overburdened (source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/). Incidentally, this figure includes China, and I don't for a second believe the figures they are quoting.

What people fail to realise however is that it will also significantly increase the deaths from everyday illnesses and accidents due to the hospitals being overstretched - this will not be reflected in the figures of deaths from the virus. Accidents and illnesses that would normally be curable, will now be fatal... staph infections, car crashes, heart attacks, stroke, cancer... things we don't currently fear, or feel that can be cured, will be fatal.

For context, the 2009 H1N1 pandemic had a mortality rate of 0.02%, the Spanish flu of 1918 had a mortality rate of 11%. Trajectories estimate this will have a mortality rate of around 10% as it was 3% two weeks ago and 6% last week. There are over 7% of current patients in serious or critical condition.

If we work with an infection rate of the 2009 H1N1 which was around 21% and an 8% mortality rate, that's around 126 million deaths globally.

I want to train and I want to train my students, but I felt there was too much risk of infection from students who may be infected, but don't know it yet. They could spread it to the other students who then spread it to their friends, relatives etc - the cycle needs to be broken and this means action. If it's not a necessity, then don't do it.

People seem to think this is scaremongering, propaganda or overkill but governments are not closing down cities and entire countries for nothing. They understand that this will have a massive knock-on effect on economies and will probably push us into another global recession. This is the last thing they want to do but they have no choice. The alternative is far worse.

To summarise, I read this recently and it puts it in a very clear perspective: If there were 100 skittles on a table and 8 of them were potentially deadly, would you eat the skittles? Like f*** you would.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Mellor wrote: »
    Bernardo giving away instructionals for free for all the people with gyms closed.

Code is FARIAFREE, it will take $77 off one of his instructionals (pretty much all cost $77)

https://bjjfanatics.com/collections/all/fighter_bernardo-faria

If you go to the same BJJ Fanatics website John Danahers Solo drills is actually free right now!

Also if you enter the code “DEBLASSFREE” you can get any of Tom Deblass instructionals free. Like Bernado, they are usually $77

The Deblass one is only until midnight tonight. I presume thats midnight in USA time.But I just got it before I wrote this so its OK right now. I suggest go get it sooner rather than later!!

If you go to the same BJJ Fanatics website John Danahers Solo drills is actually free right now!

Also if you enter the code “DEBLASSFREE” you can get any of Tom Deblass instructionals free. Like Bernado, they are usually $77

The Deblass one is only until midnight tonight. I presume thats midnight in USA time.But I just got it before I wrote this so its OK right now. I suggest go get it sooner rather than later!!

The Danaher one was filmed specifically for people stuck at home right now. I downloaded it, but haven’t actually watched any of it.
    Figured actually technique was better than drills, for now at least.

Hello guys,

I hope you're all managing your non training as best you can.

There's a danger of a post like this turning into armchair epidemiology, but it seems like that's inevitable to a degree.

I wanted to discuss how this pandemic is going to affect BJJ training for the rest of the year.

At the outset I think I was cautiously optimistic that BJJ gyms would return to 'normal', albeit perhaps as one of the last businesses to do so.

I could imagine a scenario where from late June onwards we have a gradual re-opening of some businesses, coupled with ongoing advice to observe social distancing. I'm basing that late June figure on what major business owners and banks are mostly planning for, as reported in the FT, Times etc. And I think we will all be living our lives with social distancing in mind for at least the rest of the year, and perhaps longer, according to more general analysis.

Bearing in that in mind, I can see how we could have cafes, restaurants and so on eventually back operating... And shops and so on... Not sure about pubs... Maybe even commercial gyms, with people wiping down equipment and observing social distance.

But I think the penny dropped for me yesterday that it's hard to see how a BJJ gym could ever observe social distancing.

What do people think?

If case numbers were driven consistently so low as to be almost nil for several weeks, I could kind of see gyms trying reopening in late summer (September was mentioned in a podcast as a guess by one gym owner, for example), but it would seem to me that that would be totally contrary to the social distancing approach that is the reason why case numbers are being reduced....

It would be a bit like the rest of society did the heavy lifting, with ongoing social distancing to reduce risk, and then we were all just like "OK, now it's relatively statistically safe for us to engage in our risky behaviour flying in the face of all that".

BJJ and contact sports in general just seem like they are going to be the worst affected until a vaccine makes the point moot, which is not guaranteed to come anyway, and won't be anytime soon.

...Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

BJJ gyms will have to be one of the last places to open back up fully unfortunately. Unless they were to open, enforce social distancing, and just do solo drills with a head instructor but I'm not sure how plausible that would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Good interview on the subject here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHo3f4_-r-8

Advertisement