Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3 New Navy Vessels for Irish Naval Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Markcheese wrote: »
    Are slua na marra still going ? Maybe I got the name wrong , anyway marine version of the fca ,

You mean the Naval Service Reserve.

https://www.military.ie/en/who-we-are/reserve-defence-forces/naval-service-reserve/about-naval-service-reserve/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Thanks Mike. Bloody interesting read. Capability of 76mm of particular interest though I feel this could be augmented by that French AA missile system which another poster uploaded details and video a month or two ago. ATB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

stop feeding

Just finished me dinner thanks. Had a delicious and "on topic" "Fruits de Mer". In light of some rather negative banter and general lack of support for my patriotic stance for the DF I may consider giving up posting for lent and sit down and give some thoughtful consideration to a proposal for a new order of battle for the upgrades I think would be advantageous for our new post brexit role in the world for all three branches of the DF. I look forward with pleasant anticipation to sharing this with you fellow patriots once I have carefully evaluated all reasonable options and continue my research to find the right balance between good second hand deals and decent kit that doesn't cost the earth. Such as them auld Korean jets I mentioned a while back on the Fighter Jets section.
    God Bless and keep in touch lads.

What does anybody think about the new river class opv compared to the Becket class, better or worse?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Is Lent over? Can we not extend it like the lockdown, please.

A rather elitist bunch on this wee bb who don't like their provincial ideas challenged by patriotic and positive ideas!
    Happy Easter to you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

A rather elitist bunch on this wee bb who don't like their provincial ideas challenged by patriotic and positive ideas!
    Happy Easter to you too.

Having some cop on is not elitism.

Rather an over reaction seeing as all I did was a bleedin question. God knows yez are a sensitive bunch on this board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Rather an over reaction seeing as all I did was a bleedin question. God knows yez are a sensitive bunch on this board.

Here's an answer to your question, I will be polite as I can. We are currently facing an economic meltdown. Almost 800, 000 recieving some form of Social Welfare support. Now exactly how many big ticket items have you spammed this thread with do you think the PDF will be in receipt of in the next decade? I could give you a short concise answer if you wish 'sweet f**k all".
    If this was Afters Hours I would refrain from answering , and I suspect you would have been indulged with alot more tolerance but it's not and your comments lend nothing to the discussion here other than to rile up those that have a serious interest in the military.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

There is a dedicated forum for a lot of these discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,780 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Happy Easter to you too.

Patriot? You're just a flute.

I am terribly terribly sorry chaps. Your comments have made me realize that I am in truth a bit of a gobsh*te. Ya see I left school when I was only eleven and had to do odd jobs to support me mother  and me siblings, so I never had much of a formal education, just scraps I picked up along lifes stony road, and now that I have grown old sure I'm going a bit senile. I don't have any friends and I've been barred from all me local pubs 'cos I'm gay. So when I discovered this discussion group a couple of years ago it was a life changing event for me and I thought I could make some pals here. So I started bonin up on naval military matters so I could take part in the discussions. Well...it seems like I've made a bit of a horlicks of things so now I'm going to get me auld revolver out and top meself...BANG BANG BANG! Oh bugger it! I've missed and shot the next door neighbour instead. God in heaven, sure I can't get anything right. Never mind. Happy Easter one and all. 

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

[Mod]Whiskey Tango Hotel?

Gone for a month[/Mod]

Couldn't manage to paste the link but I came accross an interesting snippet on the Royal Navy News page of their website (dated 17 Jun this year). It gives a little write up on a joint exercise with the Irish Navy , conducted around mid June and involving one of the P60's and two of the new River Class RN patrol ships....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭sparky42

Couldn't manage to paste the link but I came accross an interesting snippet on the Royal Navy News page of their website (dated 17 Jun this year). It gives a little write up on a joint exercise with the Irish Navy , conducted around mid June and involving one of the P60's and two of the new River Class RN patrol ships....

It was only one of their River's from memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭roadmaster

The rivers are very lightly armed but then again they can always call on there big brothers if needed

roadmaster wrote: »
    The rivers are very lightly armed but then again they can always call on there big brothers if needed

And they have a better CMS than we do to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ckerryman

Thank you for your post, the comments in the news article were very educational.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Coveney today is saying the Navy could in the future be going on anti piracy missions. This you would imagine would be good for morale. If they did go on these missions would the ships need to be up armed?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40018211.html

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Coveney today is saying the Navy could in the future be going on anti piracy missions. This you would imagine would be good for morale. If they did go on these missions would the ships need to be up armed?

the 76mm and 20mm cannons should be more than sufficient for anti-piracy work.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,780 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No, the level of armament is fine.

I've seen a number of documentaries on EUNAVFOR and Operation Atalanta and by far the most used and most effective weapons are fast RHIBs, skilled boarding parties and their small arms, supportes by shipboard HMGs.

I remember Coveney being an advocate for participation in anti-piracy in his previous stint as Minister and with the demise of Operation Sophia, it would be excellent for the NS to work interoperably with other EU forces in a live scenario.

All dependent on manpower though. We cannot be heading into a live Brexit scenario with one P60 in the Indian ocean, and only enough personnel for 4 or 5 other vessels in home waters.

From memory didn’t they procure omen armour protection shields for the 20mm positions when it looked like they were going on the anti piracy patrol before they were sent to the Med.

To be fair, he is talking about when they are up to strength, so not anytime soon. On the other hand he’s also talking about the AC being deployed (something the DOD has stopped plenty of times) and will meet quarterly with the representatives. Could we actually have a Minister that wants to do ****?

sparky42 wrote: »
    From memory didn’t they procure omen armour protection shields for the 20mm positions when it looked like they were going on the anti piracy patrol before they were sent to the Med.

the shields for the 20mm on the defence forces website only seem to cover the gun. they dont go high enough to protect the person firing the gun. very odd.

the shields for the 20mm on the defence forces website only seem to cover the gun. they dont go high enough to protect the person firing the gun. very odd.

Think I saw a procurement for ones that protected the lower body and sides as well? It was around the time of the mooted Anti Piracy operation.

this is the shield on the 20mm. it leaves of the head and shoulders of the firer exposed.

20mm.png

video here https://www.military.ie/en/who-we-are/naval-service/naval-service-weapons/

Yeah, those are fixed to the mounts, the ones I’m thinking off were bolt on extras, that the navy was either looking at or did get to add to the protection. I’ll have to see if I can google what I’m thinking off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Are the peacocks a bit past it for that sort of mission , they're the fastest and originally operated in warmer waters ?
    If they sent the air-corp overseas what would they likely be doing ? Not a lot of helicopters to bring I suppose the new p12 s would be handy for observation and light transport , or there could finally be a decent role for a few of the PC 9s ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement