Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-02-2020, 00:16   #76
Wichita Lineman

23pts (off 15) for 13 holes which wasn't bad considering it was very windy but it should have been much better as I had 18pts after 7 and then just lost my game for the remaining holes.

6 pars,
2 bogeys,
4 doubles,
1 treble!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-02-2020, 09:34   #77
spacecoyote

Decided to brave the elements (all for the sake of the Winter League Team as we're right on the border of qualification) on Saturday morning. Got off the course before the very worst of it came down.

14-hole competition. Wind was blowing a gale for the opening 8-holes, then the rain joined in, so the last 6 were pretty rough with the combination of the two.

Played reasonably well given the weather, 27 points for the 14 holes, so pretty much played to my handicap.

1 Birdie
6 Pars
4 Bogeys
2 Doubles
1 Lost hole

Hit a decent strike with a 5 wood for the lost hole. But it had a bit of draw on it & the wind was blowing straight sideways. so pulled it hard & turned it into a hook shape. Landing in the rough. Thought I'd find it but the ground was very soft in that spot, and it just never showed up.

Putting was tricky in the conditions, but didn't do too badly. Felt unstable & was sometimes a bit rushed trying to avoid the ball moving on the green.

Felt my swing was in much better shape than the last couple of weeks.
(3) thanks from:
21-02-2020, 17:33   #78
Kiith

Played my best ever round today, in some pretty rough conditions. Shot an 88 (36 points) over the full 18. It's my first ever sub 90 score, so i'm delighted. And that's with a mini collapse on the 13-15 where i got an 8, 7 and 6 (par 4, 5, 4). Was striking the ball really well, and the new setup i got after my last lesson is definitely helping. I also changed my putter grip, which helped me massively, as my putting has been pretty poor up till today.

One annoying thing was being stuck behind a 4 ball for 6 holes. Pretty much matched up with my bad play, as i got pretty frustrated for a bit. Relaxed after a while though, and just took my time.

Overall though, ****ing delighted
21-02-2020, 17:54   #79
spacecoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiith View Post
Played my best ever round today, in some pretty rough conditions. Shot an 88 (36 points) over the full 18. It's my first ever sub 90 score, so i'm delighted. And that's with a mini collapse on the 13-15 where i got an 8, 7 and 6 (par 4, 5, 4). Was striking the ball really well, and the new setup i got after my last lesson is definitely helping. I also changed my putter grip, which helped me massively, as my putting has been pretty poor up till today.

One annoying thing was being stuck behind a 4 ball for 6 holes. Pretty much matched up with my bad play, as i got pretty frustrated for a bit. Relaxed after a while though, and just took my time.

Overall though, ****ing delighted
Will keep an eye for the form carrying over to Portmarnock in the morning
Thanks from:
24-02-2020, 11:21   #80
kennethrhcp

I know it means nothing to anyone else but I think I gotta start logging my rounds in here again to embarrass myself into playing well

Played 1st 18holes of 2020 Saturday. 8hcp

Pars: 3
Bogeys: 7
Doubles: 2
Scratches: 6 (yep... 6)

Pros: 5 wood & long irons went very well

Cons: one 4 putt on par 5 4th... was on in 2
Four 3 putts
Chipping around the greens shocking

Surely can't play worse than that again! Foursomes this weekend... my partner might kill me
Advertisement
24-02-2020, 13:12   #81
Wichita Lineman

Similar to the previous weekend I had some very good holes and some very bad holes. 23pts off 15.

Birdies - 1
Pars - 4
Bogeys - 2
Doubles - 5
Triple - 1
(4) thanks from:
27-02-2020, 12:23   #82
Kiith

26 points for 14 holes yesterday. Scoring was all over the place, with a double, par, double, par, double, par, scratch, par, double, par on the first 8 holes. Alternated between hitting it really well, and shanking it 50 yards
28-02-2020, 00:12   #83
ger664

20 points from 15 holes on Sunday. Tee shots hooking lost balls and OOB everything going bad for 11 holes (7 points). Tee shot on 15 hooked going OOB hit a tree and came back in play. Made par for 3 points followed home with 2 more pars and a birdie (13 points). Golf's a funny game really
29-02-2020, 20:04   #84
Kiith

34 points for 18 today. Very hit and miss again, with three pars followed by two scratches. Not striking the ball too well, hitting it an inch or two behind it. Which in this wet weather ends up in some awful shots. Something to work on...whenever it stops bloody raining.

Did get my first birdie in tullamore though, which was nice.
Advertisement
29-02-2020, 20:57   #85
FixdePitchmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiith View Post
34 points for 18 today. Very hit and miss again, with three pars followed by two scratches. Not striking the ball too well, hitting it an inch or two behind it. Which in this wet weather ends up in some awful shots. Something to work on...whenever it stops bloody raining.

Did get my first birdie in tullamore though, which was nice.
Today.

Is 34 not out of this world.
(4) thanks from:
01-03-2020, 16:58   #86
willabur

32 points of 13 in members comp
Playing well off tee but my iron play has fallen off a cliff. Normally a strong point for me it has been dreadful for the last 2 or 3 rounds. Off the top of my head I miss hit 11 approach shots. Had a mare on short par 4. 4 putted to scratch a hole I was gir

One positive point is that I switched to claw grip with my putter after the mare and really improved my feel with the short stick
04-03-2020, 11:04   #87
spacecoyote

Played on Sunday, very windy conditions, combined with a couple of wintry sleet showers didn't make it the most pleasant of days to be out. It was a better day than Saturday though.

Finished with 19 points for 14-holes, so was pretty poor stuff in general. Drove the ball pretty well overall, bar a shocker of a drive on the 1st resulting in a scratch on a scoreable par-5. Struggles with up-and-downs, but I've been putting no work in there, so only have myself to blame.

Biggest thing to come from it though was maybe I'm losing my love for leaving the pin in. In the space of the 14 holes I had 3 putts that bounced out off the pin. They weren't overly pacey, and 2 out of the 3 hit the pin straight on. One hit off-centre, but with the pin out, I'd be at 99% it would have stayed in.

Maybe I just need to be more conscious on windy days, as well as looking at the lean on pins. One of the 3 was on a par 5 which has a very tall pin, as the green is below the level of the fairway. It tends to lean a bit & be very susceptible to the wind.
(3) thanks from:
04-03-2020, 13:42   #88
Golfhead65

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecoyote View Post
Played on Sunday, very windy conditions, combined with a couple of wintry sleet showers didn't make it the most pleasant of days to be out. It was a better day than Saturday though.

Finished with 19 points for 14-holes, so was pretty poor stuff in general. Drove the ball pretty well overall, bar a shocker of a drive on the 1st resulting in a scratch on a scoreable par-5. Struggles with up-and-downs, but I've been putting no work in there, so only have myself to blame.

Biggest thing to come from it though was maybe I'm losing my love for leaving the pin in. In the space of the 14 holes I had 3 putts that bounced out off the pin. They weren't overly pacey, and 2 out of the 3 hit the pin straight on. One hit off-centre, but with the pin out, I'd be at 99% it would have stayed in.

Maybe I just need to be more conscious on windy days, as well as looking at the lean on pins. One of the 3 was on a par 5 which has a very tall pin, as the green is below the level of the fairway. It tends to lean a bit & be very susceptible to the wind.
Ah Space the stats for holing putts with Pin in/out are done on pro tours where the pins are of uniform size width etc, dont think the Scott's & De Chamb of this world would leave the pins in on our courses

Last edited by Keano; 04-03-2020 at 13:44. Reason: No need to refer to him by that sort of name.
Thanks from:
05-03-2020, 20:56   #89
dan_ep82

First round in a while, first comp in ages.

Unfortunately it was a 16hole comp due to work being done, so i got 14 shots.

35 points with two scratches.
One was a double on a par3, landed in the face of the bunker and while I got it out I sent it off the run off and failed to get up and down.
A 7 on a par4 from an OOB drive on the last.

Decent golf otherwise. Irons are poor, are driving is ok'ish. More playing should tighten the driver up and lesson for the irons.
07-03-2020, 15:09   #90
prawnsambo

Not a great round today - 32 points. But the highlight was an eagle on a par 4 from about 90 yards. Never had one before. Made my day.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion