Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Move a heat pump

Options
  • 22-02-2020 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Hi

Our heat pump is located in an awkward position on our patio and really constrains what we can do with the space. I would like to move it circa 1 meter to the side of the house. The side faces onto a garden.

Looking at the pipework there is a natural break at shut of valves, and also there is an electrical isolation valve. It looks to be just a case of shutting off the valves and electricity, replacing the pipework (looks to be qualpex in insulation) and the electrical cables with longer lengths of the same. Then moving the whole thing to the new location as it is just sitting on rubber blocks.

Questions are:

Is it this straightforward? I'm very competent at DIY and have done plenty of work on heating & permitted electrics in our previous house including adding rads and the odd socket etc... This was all on a gas fired system so a lot more info online, but a Heat Pump is new to me.

If it is not as straightforward, what are the missing steps? Heating system is pressurised so I guess there could top up of pressure involved.

If it's a complicated process I'll get someone in, but if it's within a DIYer's potential I'd gladly do it.

Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Latro

If it's monoblock HP then it is very easy and you should not have any problems DIYing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Sorry to high jack the thread but could anyone tell me roughly how much it would cost to retrofit a heat pump system into a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 markyk20

Hi, just wondering did you go ahead with this relocation project?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

Hi no I didn't do it in the end. I researched it, found the right connections for the plumbing -they are expensive, and then decided for the few times we're on the patio during the summer, it wasn't worth my time doing it. I got a guy in to look at it and he never came back with a price.

Advertisement