Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hollystown closing

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

blue note wrote: »
    Ah you haven't needed to be rich to play golf in Ireland for a long time. I think of the older members in my club growing up, very normal people - teachers, guards, postmen, barmen. People with those jobs would struggle to play golf in other countries.

And there aren't many entry level courses around. But now hollystown is gone, I hear deerpark is sold, so I suspect it won't remain accessible to the masses. As the golfing population keeps getting older clubs will feel the pinch more and more, it's not only the recession that was a problem. It'll these types of courses that will be most likely to go.

i think that is more relevant to Dublin than a lot of other areas. i know in Cork there are plenty of cheap alternatives to get into golf than the more inaccessible courses

It's certainly a shame when any course closes but golf remains an accessible sport in Dublin.

Accessible is being able to go on golfnow or teetimes and find a course in the area to play at the weekend for 30 euro. Still easily done. I see st margarets tee times available for 20 euro this Saturday, and if you want to spend a little more you can play Powerscourt or Luttrelstown and the like.

It is amazingly easy to play golf in and around Dublin. It's very hard to play golf well though, that's another story

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I hear another course has gone by the wayside with Killerig closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Some clubhouse they had, but 100 members at 650! How did they even manage to last so long?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Any concrete proof ? we dont want any riumours starting here which could be damaging to a club.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Any concrete proof ? we dont want any riumours starting here which could be damaging to a club.

Was in the media last year

carlow-nationalist.ie/2019/12/20/killerig-golf-club-to-close-its-doors/

• Registered Users Posts: 24 purdy1984

Killerig closed its doors in December all the club's around have got a big influx. Mount Wolseley got 45 or 50...time sheet under pressure even now this time of year it's hard for existing members to get on it

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

purdy1984 wrote: »
    Killerig closed its doors in December all the club's around have got a big influx. Mount Wolseley got 45 or 50...time sheet under pressure even now this time of year it's hard for existing members to get on it

Which is the point I made in the other thread, you have to be very careful about opening your doors when you have a limited resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

GreeBo wrote: »
    Which is the point I made in the other thread, you have to be very careful about opening your doors when you have a limited resource.

I'd say everyone would love a resurrection of that discussion in another thread :P

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

blue note wrote: »
    I'd say everyone would love a resurrection of that discussion in another thread :P

"If you open it, I will come" ;)

• Advertisement

Looks like two courses in Kerry have closed their doors permanently. Also reports of a Dublin club returning annual subscriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Looks like two courses in Kerry have closed their doors permanently. Also reports of a Dublin club returning annual subscriptions.
    Killorglin being one of them.
    There is no indication of the closure on the club’s website and the Golfing Union of Ireland has not received official word but it is understood that the members-run club was wound up last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

tvercetti wrote: »

That's a shame, Played it a few years ago - 15 euro for a wednesday open. Lovely course, great views, friendly people.

Interesting that two courses in Kerry gone or going. Are they more dependent that others on green fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

That's a shame, Played it a few years ago - 15 euro for a wednesday open. Lovely course, great views, friendly people.

Interesting that two courses in Kerry gone or going. Are they more dependent that others on green fees?

The way Kerry is going, you'd wonder can an 18 hole course survive charging less that €50 for a summer round. I think Beauforts probably the only course under €50 now, Kenmare is a little over judging by there site.

A lot of the 9 holes died off in the last 20 years too; Ardfert, Kerries, Listowel, Ballybeggan, Dunloe.

Castleisland had an introductory offer of €250 for a years membership rising to €450 and then the full price of €650.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭twounderpar

Perhaps there was an over supply of courses around Killorglin. Dooks, Beaufort and 3 courses in Killarney are all within 20 minutes drive from Killorglin Golf Club. The Hon. Sec did say in his interview in The Irish Examiner that dwindling numbers was one of the reasons for the closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Ireland has any amount of really good golf courses where you can get around for 30-40 quid a round. Why go to Kerry and fork out big money, spend a lot on accommodation, etc, when there are so many equally good options?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Annual subscriptions will become an interesting topic if this doesn't turn a corner sooner rather than later

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Members of City West received a letter to say that course is closing until further notice as complex is to be taken over by the HSE and fees have been reimbursed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Members of City West received a letter to say that course is closing until further notice as complex is to be taken over by the HSE and fees have been reimbursed

Its already taken over. There is a guard-hut at the first roundabout on the way in & the main hotel is now occupied by the HSE. Railings are up everywhere. The Lemongrass restaurant is open for a limited collection service, but other than that the whole site is closed down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Its already taken over. There is a guard-hut at the first roundabout on the way in & the main hotel is now occupied by the HSE. Railings are up everywhere. The Lemongrass restaurant is open for a limited collection service, but other than that the whole site is closed down

Suspect it will stay as a form of old folks home, if enough people survive following this saga

The drainage on the course was always a problem

I hear another course in Dublin is closing their gates tomorrow. Always a shame to see members lose their home.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

I hear another course in Dublin is closing their gates tomorrow. Always a shame to see members lose their home.

Always sad to see that. Which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Awful to see this, it’s weird as some clubs are busier than ever

• Subscribers Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Which club? Is it just the planned wind up of Dublin mountain with the sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Lads, probably best not to name it here until its been released by the club itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

So who was it and did they close?

Advertisement