Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung LCD TV repair?

• 22-04-2014 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks...

Have a 40in Samsung LCD, bout 5 or 6 years old, that started (a few weeks back) with the sound/av scart not working intermittently, then the pic started to go dull (you'd have to go into the 'mode' and 'backlight' menu to re-set it... And it would 'go dull' again after 20-30 mins... And finally it took a while to turn on and switch 'sources' from tv to pc and to another hdmi 'Jynx box' connected.

Well, today it died. No pic. And it keeps making that 'click' noise - essentially switching itself off, then on, in a cycle.

Am I wasting my time trying to get it fixed - and who would I go to? Or should I just bin it?

Anyone have any pearls of wisdom?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭phog

You could try ringing FSV or Urlan TV and enquire with one of them.

There's a guy in Moloney's yard between High St and Lrw Gerald Griffin St who does TV repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Hooked

phog wrote: »
    You could try ringing FSV or Urlan TV and enquire with one of them.

There's a guy in Moloney's yard between High St and Lrw Gerald Griffin St who does TV repair.

Cheers phog.

Bit of reading online suggests bad capacitors - and possibly worth investigating repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Same happened to our TV and we sent it to Samsung in cork. Cost a bit but they had to replace the power board. Was expensive especially seen as it was probably only a faulty component but difficult to debug without schematics. Have another Samsung with the same issue, seems they use cheap components in the power section. I'd say chance urlan TV but they will probably have to replace the board. I'd price them first, see if you can get a replacement board yourself online and maybe fit it at home. Could work out a lot cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭sioda

AV services is samsungs nominated service center in the West of Ireland google them they will be very up front about it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Dave Fitzgerald mite be able to help you..Hes based on

Mill Road Corbally

087 271 3545

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Howdy,

My 40 inch Sammy did the same thing ( clicking noise - wouldn't turn on ). I took the back cover off, saw 2 swollen capacitors on the mainboard and swapped them out for higher voltage/same value caps that I got in Maplin - €4 all in.

But this sounds like you have other problems too - I didn't have any symptoms until it started clicking ..........

Similar to this guy ..

Howdy,

My 40 inch Sammy did the same thing ( clicking noise - wouldn't turn on ). I took the back cover off, saw 2 swollen capacitors on the mainboard and swapped them out for higher voltage/same value caps that I got in Maplin - €4 all in.

But this sounds like you have other problems too - I didn't have any symptoms until it started clicking ..........

Similar to this guy ..

[/quote

Cheers for that!!!

It seems it might be the same. All my other symptoms point to capacitors. I should have really acted before now.

I'll take it apart this eve and see. Failing that, I might try get a new power board.

Thanks all!

Took it apart and 2 capacitors are visibly bulged and leaking.

Might give swapping them out a go.

Thanks again

Just remember to get higher Voltage caps ( same farad ), and ones that will physcally fit ....

Think I went from 10v/1000uf to 22v/1000uf ...

The whole problem was the low value of the originals ..

Just remember to get higher Voltage caps ( same farad ), and ones that will physcally fit ....

Think I went from 10v/1000uf to 22v/1000uf ...

The whole problem was the low value of the originals ..

I have roped in an electrician mate... The ones gone are blue and say 2200uf on them. Should there also be a 'v' value on them, as above?

It's probably written on them somewhere

• Advertisement

Always .... bring the faulty ones with you to supplier .....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Hooked wrote: »
    Howdy,

Similar to this guy ..

[/quote

Not been smart but nobody who is isnt competent in working with electrical products should not be removing the back of a tv, it is extremely dangerous and should be avoided. You will also need proper tools to remove capacitors should that be the problem....paying someone who knows what there doing is worth more than any tv or someones risk of an electric shock.

Tv's can hold an electric charge in them particularity around the power supply area for long periods even after been unplugged.
    Cheers for that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭phog

steveon wrote: »
    Howdy,

Similar to this guy ..

[/quote

Not been smart but nobody who is isnt competent in working with electrical products should not be removing the back of a tv, it is extremely dangerous and should be avoided. You will also need proper tools to remove capacitors should that be the problem....paying someone who knows what there doing is worth more than any tv or someones risk of an electric shock.

Tv's can hold an electric charge in them particularity around the power supply area for long periods even after been unplugged.

Cheers for that!!!

Take heed of this advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Folks Samsung are collecting any TV regardless of age that has the faulty capacitors repairing them and dropping them back free of charge. You prob be without the TV for around 5 days. Contact Samsung Ireland through the website with a picture of the serial number badge on the back of the TV.

GavPJ wrote: »
    Folks Samsung are collecting any TV regardless of age that has the faulty capacitors repairing them and dropping them back free of charge. You prob be without the TV for around 5 days. Contact Samsung Ireland through the website with a picture of the serial number badge on the back of the TV.

Yep. As above - I had the tv collected today by samsungs repair company, from cork. The faulty capacitors are covered. Fingers crossed.

Yep. As above - I had the tv collected today by samsungs repair company, from cork. The faulty capacitors are covered. Fingers crossed.

Update... Bad capacitors replaced free of charge. Tv back a week later.

Yurt!

Advertisement