Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clamped in my own parking space

• 13-08-2012 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

I'm sure this topic has come up again and again but wouldn't mind some up to date advice. :mad:

Our Management company agreed to bring in a parking permit system and contracted out enforcement by clamping to Apcoa. This was in order to force people to pay their fees i.e. no fees = no permit. The permit itself is a sticker for the windscreen. I've always paid my management fees so no problem there.

So I was pretty damn pissed off to find my car this morning clamped in my own parking space allocated to my apartment. Turns out the permit had fallen off the windscreen and I never realised. Apcoa want €120 for the privilege of removing the clamp, with an additional €120 charge per 24 hours according to their extortion note they left.

The whole thing seems like a scam and out of principle they wont get a cent from me. I don't need the car for the moment so I've just left it there. Any suggestions on how to get Apcoa to budge?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Have you spoken to your management agent? If you are all up to date and they clamped in error there shouldn't be an issue other than the hassle.

PS its not your space but you do have the right to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Mikros

Thanks, I will speak to the agent tomorrow and see how it goes. Though when I mentioned that to Apcoa they said they will still look to get their €120 to remove it as that is what they were contracted to do.

And sorry I should have been a bit clearer, I realise it is not "my" space as such, rather I have exclusive use of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Mikros wrote: »
    Thanks, I will speak to the agent tomorrow and see how it goes. Though when I mentioned that to Apcoa they said they will still look to get their €120 to remove it as that is what they were contracted to do.

And sorry I should have been a bit clearer, I realise it is not "my" space as such, rather I have exclusive use of it.

If you need a bolt cutters pm justice fighter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Trouble is, the clamper couldn't see your permit, so that they didn't know it was valid to park in that space.

It's not their fault your disc was not visible.

In the same way, you have your fees paid up to date, and have your permit.

Talk to your management agent, and see what they can do for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,236 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    If you need a bolt cutters pm justice fighter.
    Legally dubious suggestions not welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

the thing to also note is that (and I'm open to correction on this) private clamping companies have no basis in law so you are legally able/allowed to remove the clamp yourself (assuming you dont damage the clamp and give it back to them) - you are on private grounds so the Gardai have no authority unless you are damaging the clamp.

No fee required !!

(Couple of the lads in the Motors section have a fantastic thread about it)

Well the parking permit is back on the window - so technically the car is parked in accordance with the regulations. Legally dubious to me is demanding €120 euro (per day) before they will release my car considering I have sole and exclusive use of that parking space (albeit the management company own it) and the car is now parked according to the common area regulations. What legal basis is there for Apcoa to demand a release fee from me?

Will ring the agent now in a minute, but the whole thing stinks. Even the notice on the car is full of threatening language about criminal prosecution for tampering, €3000 fines for removing, even going so far as to "reserve the right to remove the vehicle".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Search the motors thread for info on how to remove it legally. A fella with the word Kildare in his username may be able to give you a few tips. Before you do so, ask them to remove it of their own accord. Make sure that if they see you that you give your details to them to get in contact with you - this makes it a civil matter and keeps you in the clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Victor wrote: »
    Legally dubious suggestions not welcome.

Nothing illegal about it, read my correspondence with NCPS to see how it works. It's over in motors

OP, rent a consaw with a blade for cutting steel

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Nothing illegal about it, read my correspondence with NCPS to see how it works. It's over in motors

OP, rent a consaw with a blade for cutting steel

You could be arrested for criminal damage. This would not result in any court case as it would become a civil matter but it does fall into a legal grey area. Better to remove it without damaging it to be on the safe side.

• Advertisement

Well the agent can't do anything for me. Suggested to pay the fee and appeal it. If the appeal is unsuccessful they will pass it on to the directors of the management company. So I get to spend €120 and a few weeks chasing down the possibility of a refund.

I think I'll take a read of those threads on motors. I hear these clamps just sometimes fall off themselves.

Well the agent can't do anything for me. Suggested to pay the fee and appeal it. If the appeal is unsuccessful they will pass it on to the directors of the management company. So I get to spend €120 and a few weeks chasing down the possibility of a refund.

I think I'll take a read of those threads on motors. I hear these clamps just sometimes fall off themselves.

Do not pay anything. The appeal is dealt with by the same company that clamped you!! Whatever you decide to do is up to you. If it was me I would find out how to remove it 100% legally. For sure don't pay them a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Its not uncommon for them to remove the clamp after a few days; if its sitting on your car and youre not looking like paying then they cant use it to extort money out of someone else. If you dont need the car then Id say your best bet is to leave it there and say nothing and see what happens.

I would also suggest that you get back onto the management company and put more pressure on them. The clampers only work at the direction of the management company. Get the management company to remind the clamping company that they are being paid under contract, and that the clamping company stands to lose out on a couple of grand contract for the sake of being stubborn over €120 that they have no right to charge.

Whatever happens do not pay this fine. You are almost guaranteed not to ever see the money again, even if you can prove that you were 100% in the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭angeline

I would be putting huge pressure on the management company of it was me. After all, they were the ones who employed this clamping company. Of course the clamping company will remove the clamp IF told to do so by your management company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

APCOA have had a lot of changes at management level and I have found them to be more aggressive in their clamping in recent months. Even management companies are having trouble dealing with them.

Technically if the permit was not on display, they would be within their contract to have clamped you, the onus is on you to display it. It would be a goodwill gesture on their part to waive the fee, and one I wouldn't expect given my experiences of the new personnel.

I have no intention of paying 1 cent to them. I don't have any faith in their appeal system either. If anyone is interested they are now looking for €265 to release the car! :eek: I don't need the car at the moment as I have access to another one for a few days so I will sit it out some more.

I would love nothing better to get onto a solicitor and take it to court. I can't think of any lawful basis for them to continue to interfere with my property considering the permit is now displayed. To the person who mentioned criminal damage, have a look at the definition of criminal damage and tell me what Apcoa is doing isn't criminal damage on MY car-
    “to damage” includes — In relation to property.... to destroy, deface, dismantle or, whether temporarily or otherwise, render inoperable or unfit for use or prevent or impair the operation of(Criminal Damage Act 1991)

For what its worth - I accept the permit wasn't displayed and I was clamped for that reason. I don't accept that once I showed that I am entitled to park there that Apcoa can detain my vehicle indefinitely and demand any amount of money they want to release it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

They consider it a hire fee for the clamp and administration costs in clamping and declamping in my experience :mad:

athtrasna wrote: »
    They consider it a hire fee for the clamp and administration costs in clamping and declamping in my experience :mad:

I know what your saying, but I don't see how they are acting within the law in this case.

I have legal title to exclusive use of that parking space. How am I a party to the contract between the Management company and Apcoa for parking enforcement? And on what basis can Apcoa continue to interfere with my property once they've been informed I am entitled to park there? Irrespective of charges or fees.

Wrong forum maybe!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I have legal title to exclusive use of that parking space. How am I a party to the contract between the Management company and Apcoa for parking enforcement? And on what basis can Apcoa continue to interfere with my property once they've been informed I am entitled to park there?

You are party because you are a member of the management company, and the management company have contracted APCOA to enforce parking.

The fact that your permit wasn't on display gave them the authority to clamp. The fact that you now have the permit visible doesn't negate the fact that it was not visible at time of clamping. They would have taken photos of that.

It's a mess of a situation you are in.

Paulw wrote: »
    You are party because you are a member of the management company, and the management company have contracted APCOA to enforce parking.

The fact that your permit wasn't on display gave them the authority to clamp. The fact that you now have the permit visible doesn't negate the fact that it was not visible at time of clamping. They would have taken photos of that.

It's a mess of a situation you are in.

For the sake of discussion -

My membership of the management company is separate to the ownership of my car. Any contract in place between the management company and Apcoa cannot supersede my separate property rights. Apcoa can bill for the release fee but they cannot hold my car in lieu because they have no lawful claim on it.

A mess indeed. I will try again tomorrow but otherwise I will have no option but to remove it myself. Can't afford the €360 they will be looking for by then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

It's the same company that Dun Laoghaire co co use to enforce parking and you will not win on appeal.

I was parked on a side road to unload coal out of my jeep and bringing into girlfriends parents house now I understand I was parked on a double yellow but there were gas works been carried out and no parking spaces due to this and as coal weighs 40kg a bag I had 3 so parking far away was not an option anyway was out back came back out and ticket on window. Appealed it and they sent an email with pics of jeep and said I lost the appeal.

I have seen them at work and they are very sly they have the ticket printed before they even come into view usually hiding behind the corner.

For the sake of discussion -

My membership of the management company is separate to the ownership of my car. Any contract in place between the management company and Apcoa cannot supersede my separate property rights. Apcoa can bill for the release fee but they cannot hold my car in lieu because they have no lawful claim on it.

A mess indeed. I will try again tomorrow but otherwise I will have no option but to remove it myself. Can't afford the €360 they will be looking for by then.

Do you know anyone with a transporter truck cause you could get it picked up take clamp off without damage and leave back.

Do you know anyone with a transporter truck cause you could get it picked up take clamp off without damage and leave back.

I'm pretty sure the chain goes through the wishbone of the car. Lifting it up won't help much. I know you can get the wheel hub off and slide the clamp off but that's a little beyond my mechanical skills.

The problem is getting a bit more urgent now... I need the car for Thursday morning :(

I'm pretty sure the chain goes through the wishbone of the car. Lifting it up won't help much. I know you can get the wheel hub off and slide the clamp off but that's a little beyond my mechanical skills.

The problem is getting a bit more urgent now... I need the car for Thursday morning :(

It does but a mechanic would have no problem striping that down or get a replacement chain the same as on clamp and do as stated above.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

I could be wrong but as far as i am aware the clampers pay the management company a yearly fee for right to clamp and they then get the monies from any clamping charges therefore there is nor reason for them to payout on appeals.

This is a very grey area as when you purchased the property and were given exclusive use of a named space you have a contract between you and the man co for thos, so where does it give them the right to clamp you for use of the same space? there is a clause to allow man co to bring in new rules but i dont believe they can uncontract your agreement on the use of the space without your expess agreement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

OP I understand your frustration.

There is nothing I can help you with in terms of getting the clamp off. However I'd just like to point out that you have an opportunity here to take a test case against clamping on private property and get it deemed illegal once and for all (thus doing a lot of people in this nation a favour)

Follow this link and go to page 30
    http://www.lawsociety.ie/Documents/Gazette/Gazette%202011/march2011.pdf

It is an article by a barrister called Dermot Sheehan. Basically it says that under Irish law a contract cannot be entered into by use of a sign and that is how clamping on private grounds occurs.

As he has expertise in this arena Dermot Sheehan would be the ideal person to engage. But you can't engage a barrister yourself, you must instruct a solicitor to do so. There are plenty of solicitors that would take a case like this on a no win no fee, especially as there is a lack of legal work about at the moment.

The case seems to me to be a cut and shut one, that barrister has identified the exact section of law that the clampers are breaking. It is just a matter of someone taking a case to get it sorted and then all their contracts for clamping in the grounds of apartments will become void overnight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭Pa Dee

Saw a couple of lads remove a clamp today with a hammer. 2 mins job done ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

APCOA are ruthless scumbags. The management company are more at fault though for hiring APCOA in the first place. WYSE management company have a history of doing business with them. Just to forewarn you, you will be told to PLEASE F OFF if you approach WYSE or go through APCOA's "appeal process".

This was great news though ...http://www.thejournal.ie/12-jobs-lost-as-clamping-ends-in-cork-319119-Jan2012/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The problem is the clampers would simply settle the case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

The problem is the clampers would simply settle the case.

They can only settle if the other party agrees to the settlement. If you want your day in court on principal you can have it but it would not get a good reaction from the judge if you were offered what you claimed

Advertisement