Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Deer Society "member" convicted of dumping deer carcasses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Ouch Thats goin to hurt, werent IDS on radio about people out lamping foxes were actually poaching. The rest of IDS would need to distance themselves very quickly or this will blow up big time. Can you imagine the field day ICABS etc is going to have:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

"Mr Mannion found two headless carcasses and five bags of offal containing guts, bones, hair and other remains"

"that about ten of them were shot for consumption each year."

Do they only eat the heads over in the West?:D

But seriously, this sort of sh*t gives all hunters a bad name. More fodder for the antis. I hope the IDS will take the appropriate action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

Shooting only for trophies isn't hunting in my book. Not to use the meat harvested is disrespectful. This guy was the spokesman for all of us on Mooney goes wild recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

BryanL wrote: »
    This guy was the spokesman for all of us on Mooney goes wild recently.

It gets worse by the minute:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sfinn

BryanL wrote: »
    Shooting only for trophies isn't hunting in my book. Not to use the meat harvested is disrespectful. This guy was the spokesman for all of us on Mooney goes wild recently.

Hear, Hear!:mad:

It questions what the private Estates are doing with all their carcasses and the whole philosophy about trophies!

Its not long ago that some of us were branded poachers, at least the meat i believe ended on the dinner table!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Sfinn wrote: »
    Hear, Hear!:mad:

It questions what the private Estates are doing with all their carcasses and the whole philosophy about trophies!

Its not long ago that some of us were branded poachers, at least the meat i believe ended on the dinner table!!

a mature red deer stag could be worth 200 euro or so to a game dealer.

trophy hunting is a valuable revenue to private estates ,there is no money made from it as such .
    money that is made goes back into paying for a stalker jeep running cost etc.

with out these estates like paul woods the monster stags we see in the shooters digest just would not get a chance to mature .

thats why there is such a scramble to secure shooting right on the boundaries of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

I'v seen worse from so called experts at the top of IDS and have reported to be basically told,too valuable to us,dont upset.
    As with everything AFAICS in IRL,the klik,buddy,mate head is rotten and needs to be cut to allow new growth..

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sfinn

jwshooter wrote: »

trophy hunting is a valuable revenue to private estates ,there is no money made from it as such .

with out these estates like paul woods the monster stags we see in the shooters digest just would not get a chance to mature .

thats why there is such a scramble to secure shooting right on the boundaries of them.

I've no intention in entering a whos right whos wrong scenario or defending any group or individual. All i will say is that i have actively engaged private fisheries for the last 20 years in pursing a common goal which is inclusive of the local population. Once fisheries owners recognise the advantages in having the local club on board the animosity disappears. You will always have those who will abuse it and they need to be dealt with. It is the same in every sport. However, i feel its all about respect and understanding where both parties are comming form.

When it comes to shooting rights/access it has been a different story. Its a legal nightmare, especially along the western sea board and i have found that certain estates are not as accommodating as others. Branding people as poachers instead of engaging them i believe is loutish behaviour. I believe as the saying goes a converted poacher to game keeper is worth two in the bush. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

If a mature stag is worth €200 then why dump 2?

Is trophy hunting a valuable revenue or is no money made from it?

And whats the benefit to most Irish people of these monster stags? There are no managed estates in the very south of the country and there is still enjoyable shooting and stalking.
    I could care less about the revenues of large estates, maybe if lord hawhaw wasn't been subsidized these large estates would be turned over to the public, like the recent national park purchase?
    Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Can you imagine the field day ICABS etc is going to have:(
    look how quick they were on this story.........

http://www.banbloodsports.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

That seems to be a different story stevoman (it's the one about the NWPS rangers allegedly/actually organising commercial hunts).

were the carcasses of the deer that were dumped and removed ,boned out does any one know.

and the offal was it just grallochs and skins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

Just wondering,is this the same Paul woods that writes for the Shooters Digest. Ill be very disapointed if it is. That a good point JW,this man could be made to look worse than he actually is. Were the carcasses boned out,does anyone know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

From the Galway Indo report..
    "Two headless carcasses and five bags of guts,bones,hair and other remains"

One other point of law..If somone recives a custodial sentence,suspended or otherwise over 30 days,that also means a loss of your firearms certificate???

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

wrote:
    8.—(1) The following persons are hereby declared to be disentitled to hold a firearm certificate, that is to say:—

[GA] ( a ) any person under the age of fifteen years, and

[GA] ( b ) any person of intemperate habits, and

[GA] ( c ) any person of unsound mind, and

[GA] ( d ) any person who has been sentenced by any court in all Saorstát Éireann for any crime to penal servitude for any term which has not expired or has expired within five years previously, and

[GA] ( e ) any person who has been sentenced by any court in Saorstát Éireann for any crime to imprisonment for any term of not less than three months which has not expired or has expired within five years previously, and

[GA] ( f ) any person who is subject to the supervision of the police, and

[GA] ( g ) any person who is bound by a recognizance to keep the peace or be of good behaviour, a condition of which is that such person shall not have in his possession, or use, or carry any firearm or ammunition.

[GA] (2) Any person who is by virtue of this section disentitled to hold a firearm certificate shall also be disentitled to hold a permit under this Act in relation to any firearm or ammunition.

Can't see anything regarding suspended sentences though.

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

Trojan911 wrote: »
    Can't see anything regarding suspended sentences though.

Source

suspended sentences still fall under one of these two:

[GA] ( d ) any person who has been sentenced by any court in all Saorstát Éireann for any crime to penal servitude for any term which has not expired or has expired within five years previously, and

[GA] ( e ) any person who has been sentenced by any court in Saorstát Éireann for any crime to imprisonment for any term of not less than three months which has not expired or has expired within five years previously, and

was he just disposing of a boned out carcass and the left overs of a boiled out head and some pluck.
    that foxes and crows would have eaten in a few days.

one question i have to ask ?

do we all bring our grallochs home what do we all do with our boned out carcass ,skins and dont say give them to the dog.

maybe were to quick to accuses myself included.

i know the man as head of the deer society should have been more care full but thats wild country up there ,it would be like looking for a needle in a hay stack.

lordarpad wrote: »

And AFAIK in a case like this the judge would most likely ban firearm ownership for a period anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭k_d

was he just disposing of a boned out carcass and the left overs of a boiled out head and some pluck.
    that foxes and crows would have eaten in a few days.

one question i have to ask ?

do we all bring our grallochs home what do we all do with our boned out carcass ,skins and dont say give them to the dog.

i know the man as head of the deer society should have been more care full but thats wild country up there ,it would be like looking for a needle in a hay stack.

i think JW as something here, fair enough he was just taking the head and leaving the rest but if it was just the skin andn grallochs..well we have all left them in a field at some stage....

Being too quick to accuse someone is definitely a bad thing jw, but I think it's pretty safe to say that after they've been convicted and sentenced is a reasonable timeframe within which to pass comment...

• Advertisement

Headless Deer Carcasses.

Sparks wrote: »
    Being too quick to accuse someone is definitely a bad thing jw, but I think it's pretty safe to say that after they've been convicted and sentenced is a reasonable timeframe within which to pass comment...

thats fair enough .
    if i was on the hill and shot a hind, her calf, her yearling and done a full gralloch on them .

i dragged away the deer as i head off a walker comes on to the site and phones a ranger or cop .

by right im not to leave offal behind me.

so could i find myself in the dock in front of a judge that would not have a clue of the daily goings on .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

lordarpad wrote: »

Cheers, was swinging towards (e) subsection alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

So the sensible answer is to carry a small entrenching tool and just make a small hole and drop the guts in it, put the sod back and everyones happy.
    Walkers won't see it until the carrion eaters dig it up and pull it away.
    And when the guts resurface no walker is going to want to have a real close look anyway.:D

Not to hard to do and saves a lot of bother for everyone involved.
    Unless of course your hands blister easily on the handle of the shovel.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    So the sensible answer is to carry a small entrenching tool and just make a small hole and drop the guts in it, put the sod back and everyones happy.
    Walkers won't see it until the carrion eaters dig it up and pull it away.
    And when the guts resurface no walker is going to want to have a real close look anyway.:D

Not to hard to do and saves a lot of bother for everyone involved.
    Unless of course your hands blister easily on the handle of the shovel.

not practical ,also by burring in it takes longer to decay where crows will have it eat with in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

not practical ,also by burring in it takes longer to decay where crows will have it eat with in the day.

What do you mean not practical? I have buried plenty of guts in my time.
    Those tools are superlight now, some are less than 700grams.
    You have two options:

a) Gralloch away and leave the guts out and hope that crows and other scavengers clean the lot in a day or two.
    Hopefully there will be no problems such as the individual mentioned.

b) Dig a hole and bury the guts, maybe a fox or badger will dig it up or in time it will rot away and cause no further problems, out of sight out of mind.

Glock make a nice e-tool that is not on the restricted list:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

I dont think this man did F**k all wrong if all he did was dump a bit of gralloch in the countryside,I know the papers said it was 2 headless deer but Ive since learned that the 2 deer were boned out completely and all he did was dispose of some remains. I know Im going to get scorched here but hands up how many of you out there havent every time you shot a deer,disposed of the gralloch there on the spot.I put my hand up now if Im wrong about the 2 deer in question.But all of us dispose of the gralloch there on the spot where the deer stopped. I dont see any problem doing this and either should anyone else.I have never come back the next day to a spot where a deer was gutted to see any leftovers,the foxes would have it ravaged. Never yet have I seen anything left the next day.So are we all guilty here and should we all be given suspended sentences and lose our guns.I will on the other hand say that if he did dump 2 perfect unbutchered carcasses,well then thats another matter.

thedragon wrote: »
    Ive since learned that the 2 deer were boned out completely and all he did was dispose of some remains
    on the other hand say that if he did dump 2 perfect unbutchered carcasses,well then thats another matter.
    Which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Think we are missing somthing important here. The carcasses,boned out or not and entrails were dumped near a water course,and on State forestry land.Nothing indeed wrong with disposing with the gralloach in the countryside,by burying.But five bags of it???
    Think this is what got Judge Mc Carthys dander up.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Think we are missing somthing important here. The carcasses,boned out or not and entrails were dumped near a water course,and on State forestry land.Nothing indeed wrong with disposing with the gralloach in the countryside,by burying.But five bags of it???
    Think this is what got Judge Mc Carthys dander up.

i think he was miles from loch corrib ,and if it was state forestry. i did not read that part .

what is state forestry now? ..coillte was sold to the highest bidder.

who brought the prosecution against him to court coillte, npws, epa,?

5 bags of offal the willie wag tails in my yard would eat that in a week

Advertisement