Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limerick Businesses Opening

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Mr E wrote: »
    Insomnia has better coffee...

Had, I would say, until they changed their supplier to Pallas Foods / UnitedCoffee so the Coffee is not the same anymore. I only found out when I visited the one in town and I asked why the Coffee was so weak. She hadn't a clue till I spotted the sticker on the side of the machine. Such as shame because their Coffee was always a nice Dark Roast so you knew you were drinking Coffee unlike some of the swill on offer around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Parchment wrote: »
    Starbucks is in U.L!

They only serve Starbucks coffee (doesn't even seem to be the real thing if you ask me) in Starbucks cups- it's not the full on Starbucks coffee shop per se.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Sure it's Starbucks???

I know costa want to move to town. Area manager said it to a girl I know if she wanted to be manager.

Can't remember where she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Its not actually Starbucks in UL, they just sell ''Starbucks brand coffee'', doesn't taste as nice as Starbucks coffee (not that starbucks coffee is amazing).

While a retailer would of been preferable, this might just be the little jolt that cruises street needs to get a bit of life back to it.

Starbucks is going to be busy no matter where it is in the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Limerick - full of coffee shops and takeaways, surrounded by boarded up shops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

seachto7 wrote: »
    Limerick - full of coffee shops and takeaways, surrounded by boarded up shops.

Don't forget the Euro Stores...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I don't think we can complain about the arrival of one of the biggest brands in the world in the same way we do about discount stores! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I don't think we can complain about the arrival of one of the biggest brands in the world in the same way we do about discount stores! :rolleyes:

Sure if it was M&S Limerick city would be saved! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

M&S would be worth €10m to the city though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Starbucks would kill all the small coffee shops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

bigpink wrote: »

Doubt it. Dublin has about 20 starbucks but the local coffee shops there are thriving.

That's Dublin.it has good independent places and population.if 200 people a day go to Starbucks say that's alot of business lost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Vanquished

miralize wrote: »
    Doubt it. Dublin has about 20 starbucks but the local coffee shops there are thriving.

Well you would like to think so but that remains to be seen.

Dublin has a large population and high, solid city centre footfall. Limerick has neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Not everyone is into Starbucks and that will still keep the other coffee shops going even though it will obviously hit them some what, just like any big coffee shop opening in the city centre. I for one really like Starbucks Mochas. They are the only thing bar the mint tea that I have tried from Starbucks but I for one love it. There is no doubt it will bring more trade to Crusies Street and they usually have big staff numbers so that more jobs for the city centre. Its a big plus if you ask me. Wouldn't we all be whinging if they had taken the easy option and gone straight for one of the empty units in the crescent and skipped the city centre. Also wouldn't the hipsters do the exact opposite of go to starbucks? like head to a cool hip not so popular coffee shop to be different or am I missing the point of hipsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭phog

It may effect a few but I think your reaction is way OTT.

Some people have different tastes for coffee, location/costs will be a deciding factor on where people will head to for a cuppa.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Buckeye

phill106 wrote: »
    I bet that coffee shop in easons is delighted...

They probably are -

Anywhere a Starbucks opens, coffee sales at nearby coffee shops tend to increase noticeably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Hook and Ladder is opening in Limerick soon, I wonder is it where Instore was located.

"Hook & Ladder prides itself on high quality products, but also offers something different, in terms of an overall experience. Customers can relish the store’s delicious café offerings, buy locally sourced produce from the Artisan display, purchase a distinctive and inspiring range of occasional furniture, soft furnishings, lamps, gifts etc, all with the help of expertly trained staff. In addition to this, a child & nursing friendly environment, unrestricted Wi-Fi, books and daily newspapers ensure that our customers can relax, and enjoy their meal or one of our delicious home-baked cakes"
    (Taken from their website)

The one in Waterford has a cookery school, lets hope they bring that idea to Limerick too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,267 ✭✭✭source

Hook and Ladder is opening in Limerick soon, I wonder is it where Instore was located.

"Hook & Ladder prides itself on high quality products, but also offers something different, in terms of an overall experience. Customers can relish the store’s delicious café offerings, buy locally sourced produce from the Artisan display, purchase a distinctive and inspiring range of occasional furniture, soft furnishings, lamps, gifts etc, all with the help of expertly trained staff. In addition to this, a child & nursing friendly environment, unrestricted Wi-Fi, books and daily newspapers ensure that our customers can relax, and enjoy their meal or one of our delicious home-baked cakes"
    (Taken from their website)

The one in Waterford has a cookery school, lets hope they bring that idea to Limerick too!

They've been "opening soon" for about 6 months now.

It's going in the unit under the Mogul Emperor, at the bottom of Sarsfield Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Hook and Ladder is opening on the 15th of May.

As far as I know, the cookery school will be in the basement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

I think a Starbucks is good for the city and that people here are over reacting. Would love to see a good men's clothing store like top man and bull and bear open.
    Now there's also supposed to be some sort of River island type shop being opened by a secondary school student he has some sort of website called the beach nation.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

I think a Starbucks is good for the city and that people here are over reacting. Would love to see a good men's clothing store like top man and bull and bear open.
    Now there's also supposed to be some sort of River island type shop being opened by a secondary school student he has some sort of website called the beach nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

Not exactly opening, but GILT have outgrown their offices in the building I work in and are moving in to Charlotte's Quay. There's an article in the Leader but I can't post it as I haven't the post count.

Keeping the sales teams out here in Castletroy but a lot of the jobs moving in to city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Starbucks might do alright as it's a world recognised brand but the coffee certainly isn't anything to rave about, it's absolutely fine, that's all I'd say about it, there is better coffee in at least 5 places in the city centre, probably more.

The soup place which has opened at the bottom of William street is excellent if the two soups I got out of there this lunchtime (1. wild garlic, sweet potato and butternut squash 2. Leek, bacon, pea, mint and basil) are anything to go on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

1) Swiper, what you doing in Limerick?

2) Soup place is indeed awesome.

3) Starbucks is a superb addition to the city centre, regardless of the quality of their fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Are the soup place missing a trick by offering soup only? Most people want a bit more for their lunch. What size are the portions?

Soup might tend to be a bit seasonal as well?

Is it fresh homemade or fresh from pack with veg thrown in and reheated for days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

FutureGuy wrote: »
    1) Swiper, what you doing in Limerick?

2) Soup place is indeed awesome.

3) Starbucks is a superb addition to the city centre, regardless of the quality of their fare.

I've lived here for the last twelve years, you probably assumed I was far too cosmopolitan for the place but it's not so:(

The soup is so good I've had it today as well, the Mediterranean fish soup is incredible. This place will be bedlam in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭black & white

Is it fresh homemade or fresh from pack with veg thrown in and reheated for days

I was there yesterday and it was fresh homemade with homemade brown bread as well. A small soup and 2 slices of bread was just under a fiver, good sized portion and I really enjoyed it. They had a selection of sambos, rolls and a coffee machine so you don't have to have soup for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Well Starbucks may be coming to Limerick but they won't be setting up camp in the former HMV premises. That's actually going to become a Costa coffee outlet.

Interestingly planning permission has also been sought recently for a new cafe in the crescent shopping centre fronting the central square area beside Tesco.

The plot thickens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭phog

I see an Alterations Shop similar to Zip Yard have opened on Sarsfield St, opp the Old Dunne's Stores, near Pier One Hotel

Advertisement