Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Words no longer used.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I bet that 100 years ago the word 'Logos' fell from Irish lips (in the context of Catholic chitchat about cosmology, Christology and the like) a lot more than it does today. And not just in Maynooth.

Here we are wondering what words are no longer used when one of our words for word has fallen out of use! :eek:

This is a meta linguistic crisis or linguistic metacrisis, I can't remember which :pac:
    My brother still used that term in that context, but he pronounces it as if he's American, with the lengthened vowel sound. Listening to too many dodgy American podcasts where it's mentioned...

Listening to too many dodgy American podcasts where it's mentioned...

For me personally, Logos will always be synonymous w/ Heraclitus' philosophy, rather than Christian thought, but the Christians own 'the word' for now :)

doing your exercise (doing your homework)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

doing your exercise (doing your homework)

Did you do your ecker?:o

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

scotchy wrote: »
    Did you do your ecker?:o
    Did ya cog it from Mickser?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Esel wrote: »
    Did ya cog it from Mickser?
    How could I ? I was on the hop yesterday !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Archeron wrote: »
    Lord lantern jaysus.
    I never actually figured out what that meant but I heard it a lot when I was a kid.

Hehe I think it’s Lord lamenting Jesus ðŸ˜

"Parlour" for a sitting-room. In fact, "sitting-room" itself might be a goner.

Nobody has "supper" nowadays, people eat their dinner at 7 o'clock, whereas dinner was always a lunchtime meal when I was a kid. Supper was an evening snack. It still is, at home.

"A drop" of tea, coffee, etc. is another one.

Totally unrelated, but i hate this word "cuppa" (e.g. "come in for a cuppa" -- no thanks, but I'll have a drop of tea)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Back years ago when money was tight, for "supper" you would get a "mug and four". This was a mug of tea and four "cuts" of bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Nobody has "supper" nowadays, people eat their dinner at 7 o'clock, whereas dinner was always a lunchtime meal when I was a kid. Supper was an evening snack. It still is, at home.

"tea" is another that used to be used for the evening time snack. Haven't heard that in ages either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,847 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"tea" is another that used to be used for the evening time snack. Haven't heard that in ages either.

I was reading a book on British dining habits called 'Scoff'... and using 'tea' like that was apparently a thing in the north of England, when you had your main meal at lunch time. They called that dinner rather than lunch.
    https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/dinner-tea-poll-reveals-real-15031859

0_Dinner-vs-tea-map-01.png

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I was reading a book on British dining habits called 'Scoff'... and using 'tea' like that was apparently a thing in the north of England, when you had your main meal at lunch time. They called that dinner rather than lunch.
    https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/dinner-tea-poll-reveals-real-15031859

0_Dinner-vs-tea-map-01.png

Don't have to go to the North of England, I and everybody I grew up with called the evening meal tea. I think it was because most people at that time worked locally and had a meal break in the middle of the day so could go home, so that was dinner.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Don't have to go to the North of England, I and everybody I grew up with called the evening meal tea. I think it was because most people at that time worked locally and had a meal break in the middle of the day so could go home, so that was dinner.

Was the same where I grew up. I never heard anyone using supper at that age either and probably would've considered that a posh word!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Filbbertigibbet

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Marhay70 wrote: »

I used to live in Balbriggan, there was a wave of immigration there to work in the textile mills in the 1800s. The real locals used a lot of Northern English sayings.

Dinner time=lunch time etc.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Was the same where I grew up. I never heard anyone using supper at that age either and probably would've considered that a posh word!

My parents used supper for the late night snack after dinner.

Most people I grew up with called that tea

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Growing up we never had 'tea' during the week, we had lunch and then main meal at dinner time.
    At the weekends, the main meal was at 1pm, so then in the evenings, we had 'tea'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Brian? wrote: »

Supper was something you had at bedtime. I remember sitting in front of the fire with a toasting fork and toasting thick slices of batch loaf before smothering it with butter to melt in, pure heaven.

Is tea not a British thing? It might also be a Dublin thing.

Supper definitely isn't 'posh', everyone in my rural area called the evening snack 'supper' growing up. Usually it was beans on toast.

I'm sure people already know this, but it's because in rural communities, a lot of the work would be done from early morning until about 1pm. So by 1pm you'd need a dinner, and then have the afternoon to do odd-jobs and doss. You'd only need a snack (supper) later.

That's even disappearing in rural areas, is it? My mum and her age group usually have dinner at lunchtime but everyone else at home has moved to standard dinner-time.

Is tea not a British thing? It might also be a Dublin thing.

Supper definitely isn't 'posh', everyone in my rural area called the evening snack 'supper' growing up. Usually it was beans on toast.

I'm sure people already know this, but it's because in rural communities, a lot of the work would be done from early morning until about 1pm. So by 1pm you'd need a dinner, and then have the afternoon to do odd-jobs and doss. You'd only need a snack (supper) later.

That's even disappearing in rural areas, is it? My mum and her age group usually have dinner at lunchtime but everyone else at home has moved to standard dinner-time.

Yeah definitely heard brits using "tea" alright. But there's afternoon tea and then high tea. Afternoon tea is the posh one with the trays of little sambos - very posh English - and then high tea is the late one that the poor people ate?!

So tea for a late meal is definitely English , usually working class and it worked its way into Dublin working class language too from my experience.

(I could also be talking complete bollix!)

edit:https://www.thespruceeats.com/afternoon-vs-high-tea-difference-435327 (my theory seems to check out according to this completely unheard of website)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Do people still say delph?

As I understand that was a brand of plates and cups and stuff. It was blue and white with images of gardens and other stuff I think? Sure every home had them

And then everything in the range became delph even it was a completely different brand

A quick google tells me it's spelled as delft! Something I learned today

557320.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cheekypup

Gaylord, popular insult amongst primary school lads of the 80's

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Do people still say delph?

As I understand that was a brand of plates and cups and stuff. It was blue and white with images of gardens and other stuff I think? Sure every home had them

And then everything in the range became delph even it was a completely different brand

A quick google tells me it's spelled as delft! Something I learned today
    I always spelt it 'delph', named from the Dutch place it came from, Delft.

From Diarmaid Ó Muirithe in the Irish Times:
    DELF, sometimes spelled delph, is a word extensively used in Ireland for earthenware and crockery. I have seen it written that this word is confined to Ireland, but this is not so. Its origin is the Dutch town of Delf, now called Delft, famous for its tableware since the beginning of the eighteenth century, when the excisemen were worried about `certain Goodes called DelphWare and Counterfeit China coming from Holland'.

Delf (the t was added to the town's name in Middle Dutch for no good reason) was named from the delf, ditch, by which the chief canal of the town is still known. Middle English has delf for ditch, from late Old English daelf trench, ditch, quarry, apparently from gedelf, digging, a digging, a ditch, from delfan, to delve or dig.

Delf, crockery, is very common still in Scotland and in England's North Country to Yorkshire. As far as I know Swift was the first Irishman to use the word in print. In his Poems to Stella at Woodpark, written in 1723, he has `A supper worthy of herself,/ Five nothings in five plates of delf.' Mary Phelan from Kilkenny wrote to ask about the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Brian? wrote: »

This is what we had, lunch at lunch, dinner at 5.30/6pm and supper was toast or similar around 8pm ..

Now it’s so common to sit watching tele eating a pile of crap, supper back when we were kids was to tide you over until morning, because you weren’t getting anything else after it

Don't hear so much use of 'Backstop' anymore, but I wonder if people will start using it subconsciously instead of 'fallback' \ 'Plan B'.
    It's now all about the 'Protocol'.
    Which I never heard used all that frequently except in the name of the 80s cold war movies The Fourth Protocol & in technical uses.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Don't hear so much use of 'Backstop' anymore...
    We have backstop ball bearings in work. Most bearings can rotate either way but with backstop bearings, they only move one way, preventing an unwanted backward movement. So there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

Is "Nixer" still used? and is it an Irish only expression. I don't think I've heard it anywhere else,

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

Plain, used to describe a less than attractive female

scotchy wrote: »
    Is "Nixer" still used? and is it an Irish only expression. I don't think I've heard it anywhere else,

<begin official statement>
    I've never heard of this word and I certainly wouldn't engage in such practices.
    <end official statement>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bluezulu49

Criterion. No one now seems to know the singular of criteria.

Advertisement